Author Topic: Dogs  (Read 194132 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: Dogs
« Reply #925 on: October 03, 2016, 10:23:06 AM »
Dog would come spayed, and won't be in dog cafeterias.

I'm waiting on the Dina/Dora human now to get back to me with when I can go out there this week to kick the tires on these dogs.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: October 05, 2016, 03:55:42 PM »
I'm waiting on the Dina/Dora human now to get back to me with when I can go out there this week

Humans.  :curse:

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: October 05, 2016, 04:26:00 PM »
I'm waiting on the Dina/Dora human now to get back to me with when I can go out there this week

Humans.  :curse:

they're literally the rough ridin' worst.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: October 06, 2016, 11:45:28 AM »
Human emails me at 11:30 last night and says her phone was being weird and not letting me download my message and says she wants me to come meet the dogs and asks me what days and times work for me and that she's very flexible. I stopped what I was doing at the bar and replied at 11:36 that I could for sure be there this afternoon or evening.  Still haven't heard back from her.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: October 06, 2016, 11:55:49 AM »
Lol
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: October 06, 2016, 12:03:18 PM »
there are certainly easier ways to get a dog, but again, this really isn't about you getting a dog

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: October 06, 2016, 12:45:33 PM »
there are certainly easier ways to get a dog, but again, this really isn't about you getting a dog

I enjoy that he shares the hijinks associated with this escapade with the board. Otherwise, this place would be a pretty rough ridin' boring place for me to waste my time.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: October 06, 2016, 02:08:57 PM »
agreed it just seems like he's trying to talk himself into getting one which is a huge #mistake

there is no perf dog, but if he really wants one just head down to the pound and grab one like the thousands of other people who did that today.  boom, dog acquired in an hour's time

we all want the hijinx, but they don't begin until he gets the pup home (i cannot wait for this part)

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: October 06, 2016, 02:09:47 PM »
#perfdog

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: October 06, 2016, 02:48:03 PM »

My son decided to adopt another dog

Tom

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Your son has long hair.  Cute dogs btw.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: October 06, 2016, 07:44:55 PM »

My son decided to adopt another dog

Tom

Your son has long hair.  Cute dogs btw.
That's the fiance. My son took the pix.

Tom

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: October 07, 2016, 09:37:32 AM »
The human apparently gets her phone to work at exactly 11:30 each night and responds to emails.  I'd sent her another yesterday saying that I was guessing my first one didn't take and gave her another list of options, so now we have a time Saturday morning when I'll be somewhat out in the WA equivalent of Hutch anyway.

Consensus is that Dina would be ideal, w/Dora good too, right?  Here's the info on them both again.

Finally got a hold of Tosh's foster, but now she's got Tosh meeting potential adopters this weekend so I have to wait until after to see if he's still an option.

The operator of Dora et al got back to me after I gave more specifics on what I'm looking for and has now enthusiastically raised the option of Dina.  https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/36269844  There are no details on the site but the lady says "Dina would be a super choice for you she is athletic enough but also mellow enough for apartment living and is very well socialized with people and other dogs and has great house manners is crate trained and housebroken and has a perfect temperament."  That all sounds good, and the dog looks cool in the pictures that look like they were taken with whatever cell phone camera you people determined is the shittiest.

She says "Dora would be good too but a little more energetic."

https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/34258496

Other than the above, all I know on Dina is adult, pit bull terrier mix.  Any specific questions I should ask or things to look for?  Is there an age for that type of breed that should be a dealbreaker?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: October 07, 2016, 09:54:22 AM »
Generally speaking smaller dogs live longer than larger dogs.  Great dane'ish probably the median is like 9 years, and something small something like 12 years (maybe more?)--I'm just going off of memory/feel so could be wrong.  The dealbreaker age limit I think you'd set yourself, understanding that the last year of a natural life could be a bit spendy and tough to deal with (incontinence, more frequent vet visits, loss of vision/hearing, etc.).  At least with more sporting breeds, figure they live 12 years of natural life, at about 8 or 9 they can start to slow down considerably, so 25 or 30 percent of their life they're "retired," probably not as much fun and need more care than the first 70-75 percent of their lives.  So like, probably no more frisbee toss, but also probably still perfectly chill to hang at a bar and eat tater tots or something.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: October 07, 2016, 10:44:10 AM »

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: October 08, 2016, 09:33:39 AM »
Perhaps prompted by all.the 11:30 pm exchanges, the lady has added a couple more dina pics and a description in the link.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: October 08, 2016, 06:46:26 PM »
Dora's out.  Total spaz.

Everything thought to be about Dina (Dee-na, but she has no attachment to the name, human thinks it's weird) was even more so.  My buddy who knows a lot about dogs went w/me.

Negs (all stuff discovered by my friend):

She's probably 8+ years old.  Has some gray hairs and also looks like maybe early cataracts.  My buddy called his friend who's a vet and reported that stuff and vet also guessed 8-10 years old and would expect to live to 12-14.

She's missing a toe on her rear right foot.  Doesn't seem to have any effect.  Human either didn't know or pretended not to have known.

Teeth need to be cleaned and also apparently reflected the 8+ age guess.

Human claims there's no way for me to get any better info.  Says the dog came from a kill shelter in San Bernardino, where dogs get turned in as strays w/no info even though they're probably being surrendered by owners that have the info but don't want to pay the surrender fee.

Pros:

Pretty much exactly the temperament I want.  She came out and was fine being off leash and instantly was cool and friendly w/us but not hyper at all.  She's fully house trained and could be in a crate but the human uses nothing b/c she gets along w/all the humans and dogs on this weird compound (there's an area where people are living in a tent) w/o any issues.  Says a toy or 2 and she'll be fine occupying herself while I'm working or not home.

She was able to run around just fine and fetch stuff like a younger dog.  Size is ideal.

She seemed to want to go w/us.  She even ran over to the jeep and was seeming to want to hang out w/the giant pak head on my spare tire cover.  It was pretty lol.  When we had her come out a 2nd time she was walking around w/us like she was ready to go.

I'd gone in w/a mindset that I wouldn't want her to be older than 5.  Turned out if I had evidence the dog was even 6 I'd have taken her today, even w/o having done any of the house prep.  My buddy, while ackowledging the age concern, was astonished at how well-tempered but active the dog was and how good it would work for what I want.  He kind of had a positive spin on the age in that even if I only had this dog for a few years, it's probably going to be a good experience and then I'd be more open to a wider range of dogs next time.

So I wanted a D-1 transfer.  This would specifically be a 5th year grad transfer that I'd then have to let hang around even after the season. 

Told her I'd think about it.  Both my buddy and his vet buddy think it's appropriate that I propose to her that I take the dog but have a vet visit lined up and have the equivalent of a used car mechanic's check and agree that if there's something overwhelming that the vet finds that I can return the dog.  Not sure if that's a normal thing to suggest or not.

Here's some pics from today.  Advice?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: October 08, 2016, 06:51:07 PM »
don't get an old dog.  previous owner used up all the good years and wants to stick you with the vet bills and the convalescence and the dying.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: October 08, 2016, 06:55:20 PM »
Man, I really want that dog to have a home.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: October 08, 2016, 07:13:07 PM »
don't get an old dog.  previous owner used up all the good years and wants to stick you with the vet bills and the convalescence and the dying.

I know that's the logical way to look at it.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: October 08, 2016, 07:21:09 PM »
If this KSU football game can be sufficiently over by 7 my time, or maybe even if it isn't, I'm gonna go back to the original shelter and check out this dog.  Same breed, age that I'd think would reflect some calmness even though the description indicates she needs more training classes.  :ohno:

http://www.petango.com/webservices/adoptablesearch/wsAdoptableAnimalDetails.aspx?id=33559363&css=http://www.seattlehumane.org/sites/all/themes/seattle_humane_society/css/petango.css&PopUp=true

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #945 on: October 09, 2016, 08:21:01 AM »
SAVE DINA

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: October 09, 2016, 08:21:12 AM »
PAY DINA

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: October 09, 2016, 09:16:39 AM »
New factor discovered last night. My building probably prohibits any pit-ish dog.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #948 on: October 09, 2016, 10:47:10 AM »
I hate that.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog