Author Topic: Renewable Energy  (Read 5098 times)

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
Re: Renewable Energy
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2011, 12:42:28 PM »
I'm listening to an interesting theory from this guy who says we hit peak oil per capita in 1979, and that the economic crisis of 2008 was triggered by $150 oil.  He may or may not be right on the second part, but we're going to continually be in wars over resources if we don't look for some alternative energy sources.  His claim is that the Germans are way ahead of us on this and have moved to a decentralized renewable resource model. 

Big oil companies are worried that we could get serious about alternative energy and it's going to negatively effect them.  Did you know the Koch brothers went from $6B in 2004 to $50B in 2010, mainly due to the huge run up in oil prices.  This is why they've become so involved in politics.  They are awash in money and have a vested interest in keeping America on the oil tit forever. 

Wouldn't it be preferable to prop up small American businesses using the resources we already have to create a new energy economy, rather than handing it over Saudi Sheiks and super-rich oil investors? 

Eff them for employing 50,000 Americans. Bastards. And screw them for investing in oil commodities at the right time. Sonofa bitches.  Smart people piss me off. I want what they have and I'm really jealous. :shakesfist:

The USPS employs 574,000 people, and I'm sure you would like to see them fail.

You could not be more wrong. They need restructuring and fast.  Unfortunately, the only way to save them is destroy the PW'rs union and Obama will not let that happen, so we are all on the hook for bailing the leviathan out of the union abyss.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2011, 06:53:18 PM »
I'm listening to an interesting theory from this guy who says we hit peak oil per capita in 1979, and that the economic crisis of 2008 was triggered by $150 oil.  He may or may not be right on the second part, but we're going to continually be in wars over resources if we don't look for some alternative energy sources.  His claim is that the Germans are way ahead of us on this and have moved to a decentralized renewable resource model. 

Big oil companies are worried that we could get serious about alternative energy and it's going to negatively effect them.  Did you know the Koch brothers went from $6B in 2004 to $50B in 2010, mainly due to the huge run up in oil prices.  This is why they've become so involved in politics.  They are awash in money and have a vested interest in keeping America on the oil tit forever. 

Wouldn't it be preferable to prop up small American businesses using the resources we already have to create a new energy economy, rather than handing it over Saudi Sheiks and super-rich oil investors? 

Peak oil per capita???  Interesting metric.  Real oil production continues to increase despite "scientific evidence" repeatedly claiming it has peaked.  2008 crisis was triggered by GWB and republicans in congress so that's false.

Most Importantly:
Big Oil is in bed with Alternative Energy as much or more than anyone else.  Next.   :facepalm:
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Online DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2011, 09:08:02 PM »

Peak oil per capita???  Interesting metric.  Real oil production continues to increase despite "scientific evidence" repeatedly claiming it has peaked.  2008 crisis was triggered by GWB and republicans in congress so that's false.

Most Importantly:
Big Oil is in bed with Alternative Energy as much or more than anyone else.  Next.   :facepalm:
With "Chindia" on the rise, it better keep increasing.  Read something the other day that Saudi Arabia is going to have to increase it's production by about 150% to adequately supply the 2020 world economy.  Granted, that's all projection, and it's pretty Malthusian, but it makes sense to me.

Oil may not have peaked, but "easy oil" probably has.  Drilling is going to have to get deeper ($$$) or the US is going to have to start dealing with some increasingly shady countries.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2011, 10:15:08 PM »

"deeper oil" is still cheaper than "green" energy.

There needs to be a holistic approach.  Enough with all or none false choices the political parties present us with.  Solyndra is a perfect example of why the govt. should stay a million miles away from this.  When the government is involved, politicians are involved, when politicians are involved its about favors and back scratching, the interests of the country are a non-issue.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2011, 05:01:04 PM »

There needs to be a holistic approach.  Enough with all or none false choices the political parties present us with.  Solyndra is a perfect example of why the govt. should stay a million miles away from this.  When the government is involved, politicians are involved, when politicians are involved its about favors and back scratching, the interests of the country are a non-issue.

You don't understand economies of scale, do you? 

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2011, 07:24:03 PM »

You don't understand sabremetrics, do you?

:facepalm:

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2011, 12:36:58 AM »

You don't understand sabremetrics, do you?

:facepalm:

I studied sabremetrics in sports economics at KU.  Bill James (KU graduate and economics major) is the mind behind sabremetrics and the new movie "Moneyball" (which was pretty good, by the way). 

:comeatme: