Author Topic: What could have been done to stop this madness?  (Read 16441 times)

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: What could have been done to stop this madness?
« Reply #100 on: September 13, 2011, 08:56:33 PM »
This is now a rank the 10 largest cities by horribleness thread (best to most horrible):

1.   New York, New York (pop 8,213,839)
2.   San Diego, California (pop 1,284,347)
3.   Los Angeles, California (pop 3,794,640)
4.   Chicago, Illinois (pop 2,824,584)
5a.   San Antonio, Texas (pop 1,258,733)
5b.   Dallas, Texas (pop 1,246,185)
HUGE LINE WHERE EVERYTHING TURNS TO crap
7.   Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (pop 1,517,628)
10a.   Houston, Texas (pop 2,076,189)
10b.   Phoenix, Arizona (pop 1,476,331)
10c.   Detroit, Michigan (pop 921,147)

I'll put my seal of approval on this if you make NYC 1A and San Diego 1B because they are good for different reasons, but equally good.

Was going to say this. If San Diego isn't at least tied for #1, then the list is crap. 70 degrees every day of the year. I don't care if the rest of it sucks (it doesn't), that alone is worth "best city".

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 13, 2011, 08:58:09 PM »
one time i was going north on 75 and was staying left to continue on 75 but i ended up on 65 because they split and then crisscross or something.   :frown:

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #102 on: September 13, 2011, 10:56:31 PM »
I loved the Big XII.

eff the people who killed it.   All of them.

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 14, 2011, 06:29:54 PM »
Or was the destruction of the only major conference in the middle of the USA inevitable?

I know a lot of people want to blame Bebee, but really he couldn't stop this.  This results was going to happen as soon as college football became so popular and schools started selling their souls to be good at it.

I'm not going to read through the whole thread, so my apologies if someone already mentioned this idea.   After NU left for the big 10 and CU left for the PAC, here's what we should have done:

The remaining members of the Big 12 should have rallied support from the ACC and the Big East (and all of the minor conferences, like CUSA, MWC, WAC, MAC, SunBelt) to create two new NCAA rules.

1) You must play a minimum of 2/3rds of your conference every year.  If you have 12 members, you must play a minimum of 8 conference games.  If you have 14 members, you must play a minimum of 9 conference games.  If you have 16 members, you must play a minimum of 11 conference games.

This would not prevent conferences from expanding to 14, but it would make every conference think VERY carefully before expanding.  Would the PAC be willing to take OU/OSU if that would mean they could never get Texas?  Would the big 10 be willing to take schools like MU and Pitt if that means they fill up their spots and have no room for ND?

2) In order to have a championship game, you must play every school in your half of the conference.  This would make the idea of "pods" irrelevant and would guarantee that no conference would ever expand to 16. This also makes it tricky for a conference to expand to 14 because a school in one division would have to play all six of the other schools in the division.  Since conferences try to arrange pods to maintain a competitive balance AND maintain as many rivalries as possible, adding one more layer of difficulty like this would make it almost impossible to organize the divisions.

With these two rules, I think that no conference would ever expand beyond 12.

Offline opcat

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Fan
    • View Profile
MY NIGGA