Author Topic: What could have been done to stop this madness?  (Read 16443 times)

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
What could have been done to stop this madness?
« on: September 13, 2011, 09:53:33 AM »
Or was the destruction of the only major conference in the middle of the USA inevitable?

I know a lot of people want to blame Bebee, but really he couldn't stop this.  This results was going to happen as soon as college football became so popular and schools started selling their souls to be good at it.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: What could have been done to stop this madness?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 09:58:08 AM »
A less greedy UT who was willing to make a few consessions for the good of the whole. IMHO that's really it. Granted, you can blame the other schools for getting Texas-envy and bolting, but at the end of the day UT had the control to keep this thing together and they chose not to make any concessions when they could have still saved the conference. That said, I can't blame UT for trying to milk this thing for all its worth, especially since they'll likely be fine (at least financially) in the long run, but they initiated the destruction.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 09:58:26 AM »
Or was the destruction of the only major conference in the middle of the USA inevitable?

I know a lot of people want to blame Bebee, but really he couldn't stop this.  This results was going to happen as soon as college football became so popular and schools started selling their souls to be good at it.

If we can create a cyborg to travel back in time and kill Jim Delany, I think we'll be good.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 10:01:39 AM »
A less greedy UT who was willing to make a few consessions for the good of the whole. IMHO that's really it. Granted, you can blame the other schools for getting Texas-envy and bolting, but at the end of the day UT had the control to keep this thing together and they chose not to make any concessions when they could have still saved the conference. That said, I can't blame UT for trying to milk this thing for all its worth, especially since they'll likely be fine (at least financially) in the long run, but they initiated the destruction.

While I agree to an extent, the schools with options, that are leaving, facilitated Texas ability to make money hand over fist every step of the way.  More foresight from the ADs/Presidents of Nebraska/aTm/OU would have helped tremendously.  But they all thought that they were the Joneses too. 

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 10:02:22 AM »

While I agree to an extent, the schools with options, that are leaving, facilitated Texas ability to make money hand over fist every step of the way.  More foresight from the ADs/Presidents of Nebraska/aTm/OU would have helped tremendously.  But they all thought that they were the Joneses too. 

True, good points.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 10:04:58 AM »
A less greedy UT and less butthurt from Nebraska, A&M and OU.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 10:07:50 AM »
If K-State would have won the Big 12 every year, there's no way this would be happening. Blame Snyder.

Offline MadCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 10:09:28 AM »
A less greedy UT and less butthurt from Nebraska, A&M and OU.
  Less greed from those last 3 also.  The Big 12 is kinda like a bastardized Ponzi scheme.

... ... ... .. .. ..Texas
.... ... ... aTm...OU....Neb
.... ... Q@s and other Losers

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 10:12:21 AM »
Missouri deserves at least an honorable mention for not knowing their place.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 10:16:26 AM »
I disagree, its not about specific schools at all.  

This area of the country simply doesn't have the population pull to justify a major television deal like other conferences can get. The attraction to more money eastward and westward was always going to rip this conference apart at the seams.   It makes us feel good to make aTm, UT, etc bad guys, but it's all fluff.  It's the haves consolidating power and have-nots scrambling for scraps. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 10:17:32 AM »
man oh man, never thought I'd get to merge a chingon thread for being a repost of an existing 500 page thread!

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 10:18:16 AM »
man oh man, never thought I'd get to merge a chingon thread for being a repost of an existing 500 page thread!
different topic!  This is reflective not an place for current updates which the other thread is SUPPOSED to be.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 10:19:29 AM »

I think that when this conference merged with the members of the SWC (and I user merger as opposed to acquisition because it truly was a merger), all of the historical ties that other conferences seem to leverage and bank on for stability went out the window.  It went from a conference held together by decades of membership and rivalry to a large business entity where each of the member schools seemed to really only care about their individual fortunes (or in the case of OU, another school), and when some schools started to thrive (OU, UT), and some started to plateau or drop off (NU, A&M), it made the decision easy to part ways because it was really about business, and none of the truly major players in the conference really had any care or concern for each other.  They had formed a cartel to try and wrestle competitive control of the conference, but when a couple of the members of that cartel got too strong, the others bolted, and then the third started entertaining the option because it was really obvious as this thing evolved who really had all of the strength.

UT drove this conference to where it is now because Deloss Dodds was a fantastic AD who understood the value of Texas athletics, and used the system to squeeze every dime he could out of the situation.  UT is being penalized because they were really, really good at the business side of athletics, and the rest of the schools want to flee the monster they created.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 10:22:06 AM »
I disagree, its not about specific schools at all.  

This area of the country simply doesn't have the population pull to justify a major television deal like other conferences can get. The attraction to more money eastward and westward was always going to rip this conference apart at the seams.   It makes us feel good to make aTm, UT, etc bad guys, but it's all fluff.  It's the haves consolidating power and have-nots scrambling for scraps.  

Are OU and aTm looking at making significantly more money in their new situs in comparison to their current/old ones?  I didn't think so, but I'm no Dax.

Offline MadCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 10:22:33 AM »

I think that when this conference merged with the members of the SWC (and I user merger as opposed to acquisition because it truly was a merger), all of the historical ties that other conferences seem to leverage and bank on for stability went out the window.  It went from a conference held together by decades of membership and rivalry to a large business entity where each of the member schools seemed to really only care about their individual fortunes (or in the case of OU, another school), and when some schools started to thrive (OU, UT), and some started to plateau or drop off (NU, A&M), it made the decision easy to part ways because it was really about business, and none of the truly major players in the conference really had any care or concern for each other.  They had formed a cartel to try and wrestle competitive control of the conference, but when a couple of the members of that cartel got too strong, the others bolted, and then the third started entertaining the option because it was really obvious as this thing evolved who really had all of the strength.

UT drove this conference to where it is now because Deloss Dodds was a fantastic AD who understood the value of Texas athletics, and used the system to squeeze every dime he could out of the situation.  UT is being penalized because they were really, really good at the business side of athletics, and the rest of the schools want to flee the monster they created.
What Pan said.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 10:25:07 AM »

What Pan said.

Yes, I think blaming this latest round of craziness on money alone is incorrect.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 10:29:11 AM »
OU is leaving almost assuredly because of money.  The Big 12's TV contracts were going to be gutted.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011, 10:31:56 AM »
I love to mock people that pine for the old Big 8 like it would still be around today in it's previous form had the SWC merger not gone down.  What a shitty conference made up of exclusively loser states.  Can you imagine the horrible TV deal the old Big 8 would have in today's environment?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2011, 10:34:26 AM »
To be fair, it really isn't "madness"...yet.

Nebraska left because they got a sweetheart deal out of nowhere and didn't really have a rival once OU went to the south.
Colorado left because they always wanted to be in the Pac and didn't really have a rival.
aTm left because it lets them say they aren't little brother any more.

We'll see if OU and OSU really do anything.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2011, 10:35:54 AM »
We have/had too many pussy ass bitches running atheletic departments in this conference. I'm looking at you Dr. crap-stain Osborne.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2011, 10:37:39 AM »
I love to mock people that pine for the old Big 8 like it would still be around today in it's previous form had the SWC merger not gone down.  What a shitty conference made up of exclusively loser states.  Can you imagine the horrible TV deal the old Big 8 would have in today's environment?
exactly.

the merger bought us a 15 year stay of execution

Offline unleashthemob

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2011, 10:46:30 AM »
 "RESISTANCE IS FUTILE" we're being assembled, and it can't be stopped
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 10:51:03 AM by unleashthemob »

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2011, 10:50:00 AM »

Nebraska left because they got a sweetheart deal out of nowhere and didn't really have a rival once OU went to the south.
Colorado left because they always wanted to be in the Pac and didn't really have a rival.

oh, they'll do something. it's over.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2011, 10:50:42 AM »

oh, they'll do something. it's over.

we'll see.

Offline theKSU

• Katpak'r
  • Team KSU
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2011, 10:51:41 AM »
They'll do something, then Pac12 will say "no thanks rednecks"