Author Topic: phog.net realignment gems  (Read 140332 times)

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: phog.net realignment gems
« Reply #125 on: September 09, 2011, 12:52:59 PM »
Overpaying? Meh.

If I can go to Lawrence and get a Katz  ticket for a 40oz and a book of zig zags....I'd be happy.

Offline thebigcatbowski

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 09, 2011, 12:53:33 PM »
I don't get the SEC not wanting us

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 09, 2011, 12:55:21 PM »

This CAN'T be real.

Offline thebigcatbowski

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 09, 2011, 01:03:17 PM »

This CAN'T be real.

Context:

The Big East: If it all goes to hell, we will land in the BEast.  We will land at least there.  Which is fine, for now.  But if it goes to 16-team megas, the BE will get raided by the ACC/SEC/and big 10.  Gone will be UConn, 'Cuse, Pitt, and WVU (at least).  How can that conference survive after losing those members?  If we end up in the BE, we will be right back here in a year or two.
- ACC/SEC/big 10: Doesn't seem to be much interest from any of these conferences.  Perhaps a little from the ACC and the the big 10, but almost none from the SEC.  I don't get the SEC not wanting us; they have a basic monopoly on football, and they don't need another contender in that sport.  Where they do need a contender is basketball- and we give them that in spades.  And before people go off on FB money v BB money, remember that there is a $14.8 Billion deal for the tourney in place.  If the 4 mega-conferences do away with the the NCAA, then that revenue will be that much more important.  Even if they don't get rid of the NCAAs, there is still money in BB.
The big 10 would be great geographically and monetarily; but, as a KU BBall fan first, I don't relish the opportunity to play in games where the first one to 45 wins the game.  But I would take an invite right now.  We are an AAU member, so we have that going.  But past that, the big 10 seems like they don't have the room for us.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 09, 2011, 01:04:58 PM »
There whole "gosh why wouldn’t' the SEC want ku" shtick is because they think the SEC would want another basketball school to bolster their basketball, which from top to bottom isn't that great.

But here's what your average ku tuck doesn't get.   The SEC has won the national title twice in the last 10 years, they regularly have a least one team in the Final Four already, and as Larry Scott so correctly pointed out, basketball TV money is diluted and the NCAA tourney while a nice event, it's overall payout given the formula is chump change compared to TV contracts where football provides the mother lode.

The SEC already has a Kentucky; they don't really want another one.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 09, 2011, 01:06:30 PM »
Isn't Florida, um, like, uh, pretty good too?

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 09, 2011, 01:26:40 PM »

This CAN'T be real.

Context:

The Big East: If it all goes to hell, we will land in the BEast.  We will land at least there.  Which is fine, for now.  But if it goes to 16-team megas, the BE will get raided by the ACC/SEC/and big 10.  Gone will be UConn, 'Cuse, Pitt, and WVU (at least).  How can that conference survive after losing those members?  If we end up in the BE, we will be right back here in a year or two.
- ACC/SEC/big 10: Doesn't seem to be much interest from any of these conferences.  Perhaps a little from the ACC and the the big 10, but almost none from the SEC.  I don't get the SEC not wanting us; they have a basic monopoly on football, and they don't need another contender in that sport.  Where they do need a contender is basketball- and we give them that in spades.  And before people go off on FB money v BB money, remember that there is a $14.8 Billion deal for the tourney in place.  If the 4 mega-conferences do away with the the NCAA, then that revenue will be that much more important.  Even if they don't get rid of the NCAAs, there is still money in BB.
The big 10 would be great geographically and monetarily; but, as a KU BBall fan first, I don't relish the opportunity to play in games where the first one to 45 wins the game.  But I would take an invite right now.  We are an AAU member, so we have that going.  But past that, the big 10 seems like they don't have the room for us.

The context is even worse. JFC, it's not the big teams winning that makes the NCAA tournament worth $14.8 billion. It's the big teams losing to directional schools that makes it worth that much.

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 09, 2011, 01:39:47 PM »
I swear you can lose more brain cells reading obtuse sqwawks trying to fit their basketball brains around realignment than you can going on a three-day crack-and-jack bender (not that I'd know).

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 09, 2011, 01:45:43 PM »
you should just lock the thread with that "i like the track" gem.  mods?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 09, 2011, 02:18:41 PM »
They need to just stick with the KU Relays excuse for the track.  It's still pretty weak but at least it sorta makes sense.

Offline thebigcatbowski

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 09, 2011, 02:43:01 PM »

This CAN'T be real.

Context:

The context is even worse. JFC, it's not the big teams winning that makes the NCAA tournament worth $14.8 billion. It's the big teams losing to directional schools that makes it worth that much.

Maybe because KU is the biggest school that consistently loses to the directional schools, they're worth more than anyone to the NCAA tournament?  :ck:

Offline thebigcatbowski

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 09, 2011, 04:49:17 PM »
Can't stop reading.

ksu gives away free basketball tickets to students too, while they were a top 25 team no less
http://kstatesports.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/121509aac.html

Yes, allowing students with season tickets to go to every game of the season is exactly the same as throwing tickets at people who haven't spent a dime.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 09, 2011, 05:02:23 PM »
Never try to argue with them, "free" tickets to season ticket holding students for holiday break basketball games is exactly the same, if not worse for your average squawk tuck, than papering the streets with free tickets for a regular season home football game.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 13, 2011, 02:46:45 PM »
The butthurt over KSU is much more prevalent on the FB board than the BB board:

I really don't give a **** about K-state, imo they should never had been in the Big 12 (should had been Utah). Let them die in the Mountain West.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 13, 2011, 02:55:23 PM »
wtf lol
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline bigwillie20

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • #FYJC #burnitdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 13, 2011, 03:01:17 PM »
The butthurt over KSU is much more prevalent on the FB board than the BB board:

I really don't give a **** about K-state, imo they should never had been in the Big 12 (should had been Utah). Let them die in the Mountain West.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 13, 2011, 04:02:13 PM »
"You're all finally realizing what the rest of the country outside of Kansas has known for years: KU is the only school in the state with a national following and worthy of a place in a BCS conference. Heck, no one outside of Kansas even knows there is a Kansas "State" as well. Your only hope is to suck up to the BoR and KU and beg us to let you come along for the ride. Just has you've been doing for the last 100+ years. You'll do just fine against the Wyomings of the world. "

Offline thebigcatbowski

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 13, 2011, 04:13:16 PM »
"You're all finally realizing what the rest of the country outside of Kansas has known for years: KU is the only school in the state with a national following and worthy of a place in a BCS conference. Heck, no one outside of Kansas even knows there is a Kansas "State" as well. Your only hope is to suck up to the BoR and KU and beg us to let you come along for the ride. Just has you've been doing for the last 100+ years. You'll do just fine against the Wyomings of the world. "

What has made us realize this?

Offline bonercat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 13, 2011, 04:16:27 PM »

Says the fan of the team that lost to North Dakota State who is a mighty member of the Missouri Valley Conference.
[

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 13, 2011, 04:23:20 PM »
What has made us realize this?

Conference realignment.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 13, 2011, 04:24:30 PM »
13-1 makes them crazy mad and unreasonable.

Offline Ira Hayes

• Created #RayRayForAD
  • Katpak'r
  • The Marine that went to war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 13, 2011, 04:52:33 PM »
Why do they care at all about this?  They should be looking for an easy basketball league to dominate.  The Summit League would be a good fit.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 13, 2011, 04:55:48 PM »
Why do they care at all about this?  They should be looking for an easy basketball league to dominate.  The Summit League would be a good fit.

KU already dominates the Big 12... I think we're ready for a little bit of a challenge.   

Offline thebigcatbowski

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 13, 2011, 04:58:45 PM »
As a bit of compromise, we could designate two women's teams to join the BCS too, perhaps the Soccer team, and the Volleyball team? I honestly just don't want all of the revenue being sucked up by travel.  KU Soccer vs UNC would be a fun game to watch!

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 13, 2011, 05:02:56 PM »
what a weird post.  UNC would destroy KU in soccer.  they've won 20 of the 28 national titles and won the ACC 20/22 times.  :lol:

but i guess it would be fun if you enjoy pain :dunno:

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.