« Reply #3100 on: April 06, 2022, 11:16:12 AM »
No one forgets about Gen X, because God knows they never shut up about it

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: jobs
« Reply #3101 on: April 06, 2022, 11:20:35 AM »
That all just seems like common sense

I'm not a manager of people, so it's not something I ever think about. But it's interesting to me that there are generation specific ways to motivate people at work.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3102 on: April 06, 2022, 11:23:24 AM »
i would think individual personalities (which transcend generational divides) are a better way to tailor your people managing skills, but maybe it's helpful in these broad terms. (although the claim that millennials don't appreciate being delivered straight facts is a little lol)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3103 on: April 06, 2022, 11:27:01 AM »
Yeah, I 100% do not understand what he meant by millenials want the "crap sandwich"
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3104 on: April 06, 2022, 11:31:20 AM »
i think he meant compliment sandwich

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3105 on: April 06, 2022, 11:33:58 AM »
Ah, ok

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3106 on: April 06, 2022, 11:40:24 AM »
I had to Google that. It means deliver bad news in a thoughtful, nice way.

I worked with quite a few millennials for a couple of years. They were all about crap sandwiches, being part of a team, and doing good in the world as part of their job. I admired all of these traits, but ultimately was not as into that stuff as much as they were.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #3107 on: April 06, 2022, 11:45:53 AM »
That is not at all how I've ever interpreted crap sandwich.

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3108 on: April 06, 2022, 11:46:18 AM »
As a manager, I deliver the poop sandwich quite often with my reps. The older folks on my team seem to need it more than the younger one's but not always. I don't think it depends on your generation, I've found where you're from is more of a variable.
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3109 on: April 06, 2022, 11:52:47 AM »
I haven't really noticed too much of difference between x'rs and 'lenials except 'lenials do expect and assert more work/life balance. The zoomer interns we are starting to get seem like they just want work to be a party, which is weird to me but whatever. That could just be part of being young.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3110 on: April 06, 2022, 11:56:50 AM »
That is not at all how I've ever interpreted crap sandwich.

yeah to me a crap sandwich is just a terrible situation.
a compliment sandwich is where you deliver good news, followed by bad news, followed by good news.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3111 on: April 06, 2022, 12:12:22 PM »
I haven't really noticed too much of difference between x'rs and 'lenials except 'lenials do expect and assert more work/life balance. The zoomer interns we are starting to get seem like they just want work to be a party, which is weird to me but whatever. That could just be part of being young.
Yeah zoomers are weird but I think a lot of that is a function of labor being so scarce right now. They feel like they can just bounce whenever it feels right and they’re not wrong.

I try to avoid managing people as much as I can. I hate it so much.

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3112 on: April 06, 2022, 12:17:13 PM »
Yeah zoomers are weird but I think a lot of that is a function of labor being so scarce right now. They feel like they can just bounce whenever it feels right and they’re not wrong.

Micromanaging is one of my least favorite things to do.
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: April 06, 2022, 02:26:18 PM »
That tweet guy should make one about zoomers.  I feel like the second half of us X'ers are similar enough to Millennials that it feels easy enough to relate.  The zoomers I have recently interviewed, hired, fired, etc are a conundrum.  I literally had one of their moms call me recently about his job.  He quit, then his mom called two weeks later and said he wanted to unquit but was too embarrassed to call me himself, so she wanted to try to work out the details and then for me to call him.

So, moms calling companies to help their kids communicate with the boss is a thing now.

Also, as of like 10 years ago, I used to hate when someone would deliver bad or unwanted news via text rather than calling.  Now I am comfortable with that, as it seems to be the way most people are comfortable doing such things.  However, now, the new way to deliver bad or unwanted news is just to never ever show up, text, or call ever again.  Texting is now too hard to do, emotionally, so ghosting is the new thing.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3114 on: April 06, 2022, 03:18:51 PM »
Those items apply to every generation

Online cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: April 06, 2022, 03:30:57 PM »

Yeah, all our newbies are very um, unengaged imo for any sort of long time commitment, they definitely walk around with zero care about having a job or not and well due to the labor market I also can't blame them, and I think psychologically compared to them coming out from college where having any job was a minor miracle in the last 2000s/early 2010s makes me very  :sdeek: at how cavalier they are with doing anything remotely difficult or inconvenient for them.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3116 on: April 06, 2022, 03:32:03 PM »
That tweet guy should make one about zoomers.  I feel like the second half of us X'ers are similar enough to Millennials that it feels easy enough to relate.  The zoomers I have recently interviewed, hired, fired, etc are a conundrum.  I literally had one of their moms call me recently about his job.  He quit, then his mom called two weeks later and said he wanted to unquit but was too embarrassed to call me himself, so she wanted to try to work out the details and then for me to call him.

So, moms calling companies to help their kids communicate with the boss is a thing now.

Did the kid know his mom was calling or was she working independently on this?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3117 on: April 06, 2022, 03:54:29 PM »

To the same degree, though? They obviously vary a great deal by culture. And American society hasn't remained constant over time.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3118 on: April 06, 2022, 04:13:27 PM »

To the same degree, though? They obviously vary a great deal by culture. And American society hasn't remained constant over time.

Yeah pretty much. Maybe younger generations are more likely to have work friends but I just always assume people can choose to be friends with coworkers if they want. But like treating people as individuals? Sorry gen x, wanting that doesn't make you special.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3119 on: April 06, 2022, 04:26:41 PM »
As a Millennial, I am giddy that we are approaching the point in time where we will start punching down at the younger generations. Also, "managing" people based on stereotypes and tropes is really dumb, imo. People who think they know individuals' personalities based on when they were born is also dumb.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3120 on: April 06, 2022, 04:34:56 PM »
As a Millennial, I am giddy that we are approaching the point in time where we will start punching down at the younger generations. Also, "managing" people based on stereotypes and tropes is really dumb, imo. People who think they know individuals' personalities based on when they were born is also dumb.

Yes to all of this

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: April 06, 2022, 04:35:15 PM »
As a fellow millennial, I agree wholeheartedly. We just think alike!

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: April 06, 2022, 04:38:14 PM »

Yeah pretty much. Maybe younger generations are more likely to have work friends but I just always assume people can choose to be friends with coworkers if they want. But like treating people as individuals? Sorry gen x, wanting that doesn't make you special.

My experience is very different. To such an extent that I wonder if any of the skeptics here have actually worked with many people outside their own generation.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: April 06, 2022, 04:39:27 PM »

My experience is very different. To such an extent that I wonder if any of the skeptics here have actually worked with many people outside their own generation.
You are a very special individual!

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: April 06, 2022, 04:39:33 PM »
As a fellow millennial, I agree wholeheartedly. We just think alike!

Ah, now I see the blind spot.