Author Topic: jobs  (Read 280298 times)

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: jobs
« Reply #3025 on: January 31, 2022, 07:57:18 AM »
I want a different job. I make great money but this job is boring as eff. Same crap. Every month. Rinse and repeat. I need something less repetitive.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
Does the opportunity for the variety you want exist in your company or industry?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3026 on: January 31, 2022, 08:02:13 AM »
congratulations, mir.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: January 31, 2022, 08:04:30 AM »
sounds like a good move MIR, congrats and good luck

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: January 31, 2022, 10:37:27 AM »
I've really been thinking about changing careers. I have about 2 years until I am vested in the state pension, so would be really dumb to leave before then. But that gives me enough time to go back to school in the meantime. Don't really know what I want to do though.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3029 on: January 31, 2022, 10:39:50 AM »
I also want a different job but I would settle for being bored doing my job at home. My company is anti-wfh tho so probably will just have to find a different job.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3030 on: January 31, 2022, 11:48:18 AM »
I've really been thinking about changing careers. I have about 2 years until I am vested in the state pension, so would be really dumb to leave before then. But that gives me enough time to go back to school in the meantime. Don't really know what I want to do though.

I think it’s mandatory that firefighters open up a brewery or flip real estate
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: January 31, 2022, 12:15:30 PM »

Well I’ve already done one of those things.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #3032 on: January 31, 2022, 12:19:18 PM »
I want a different job. I make great money but this job is boring as eff. Same crap. Every month. Rinse and repeat. I need something less repetitive.

Does the opportunity for the variety you want exist in your company or industry?
Small-ish company for my level. So probably have to look elsewhere. I'll keep cashing checks and looking. Might contact an industry headhunter or enable my job search on LI.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: January 31, 2022, 12:31:50 PM »

Small-ish company for my level. So probably have to look elsewhere. I'll keep cashing checks and looking. Might contact an industry headhunter or enable my job search on LI.

could you stay where you are and find the options you're looking for? would you move, maybe after you're an empty nester?

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: January 31, 2022, 12:35:42 PM »

my neighbor is a retired firefighter and he works for big construction companies as like a safety inspector or OSHAA compliance guy or something.  He's quit like 3 times and then they offer more money to come back and work.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: January 31, 2022, 12:38:59 PM »

Oh that’s right I forgot lol,  is there an adjacent industry to the FD that is a lot more lucrative in private sector?  Like selling fire equipment to the department or doing trainings?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: January 31, 2022, 01:03:51 PM »
I know firefighters that work in burn test labs. Most of them are active and do it on days off but a few are retired. I imagine there aren't a ton of burn labs though.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: January 31, 2022, 01:17:02 PM »

Oh that’s right I forgot lol,  is there an adjacent industry to the FD that is a lot more lucrative in private sector?  Like selling fire equipment to the department or doing trainings?

I think if I left I would rather just get away from all things FD related. I'm pretty burnt out and can't really imagine myself selling fire apparatus or equipment. (I do know a lot of retirees that do those things though, seems like a decent part time gig)

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: January 31, 2022, 01:18:21 PM »

I think if I left I would rather just get away from all things FD related. I'm pretty burnt out and can't really imagine myself selling fire apparatus or equipment. (I do know a lot of retirees that do those things though, seems like a decent part time gig)

heh

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: January 31, 2022, 01:18:32 PM »
flip to the other side of the business and be an arsonist or just a really clumsy fire starting guy

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3040 on: January 31, 2022, 01:19:01 PM »

my neighbor is a retired firefighter and he works for big construction companies as like a safety inspector or OSHAA compliance guy or something.  He's quit like 3 times and then they offer more money to come back and work.

I've definitely considered construction industry. Have also considered going to PA school, wouldn't be interested in emergency medicine but I could see myself being happy in a clinic or family practice type setting

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: January 31, 2022, 01:19:55 PM »
flip to the other side of the business and be an arsonist or just a really clumsy fire starting guy

man I'd be so great at this.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #3042 on: January 31, 2022, 01:20:42 PM »
Get into the ice business.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: January 31, 2022, 01:20:53 PM »

man I'd be so great at this.

gE was once looking to fill this position figuratively.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: January 31, 2022, 01:28:43 PM »
Fire and Ice, Fire and Ice, every single day is fire and ice.

Based on my experience, fireplace repair people ought to be billionaires. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #3045 on: January 31, 2022, 03:23:29 PM »
Insurance subrogation. Quite lucrative. Easy AF. Busy in the winter when morons are burning down their houses with diy fireplaces and furnaces. Slow rest of the year.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: January 31, 2022, 03:34:35 PM »

I used to know a retired FD guy who would inspect and sign-off on fire extinguishers, etc. at businesses annually.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: March 01, 2022, 09:25:00 PM »
I started texting with an old co-worker who used to post here about how F'd up our old company was. We both went there straight out of college in 2009 to a small 30-40ish people family run company and had no idea how F'd up it actually was because it was our first "real job". I'm meeting up with him for lunch later this week but I was just reminded of a WTF story that happened while I worked there.

One of the owners sons had dropped out/got kicked out of KU etc and was working for the company while he "went" to JUCO and lived at home...Also he couldn't drive because he had a dui...but he was close to my age so we were kind of work friends. This was around 2010'ish

One day he asked me if I wanted to buy his flat screen TV he was selling for $100 because he was getting a new one. This was a hell of a deal back in the day so I said sure and told him I'd give him a ride home after work to grab it (remember, he can't drive).

We leave work and head to his parents house (AKA my bosses) to grab the TV. On the way there he calls up his weed dealer to place an order with the money he is getting from selling the TV, whatever dude, I dont care. Then he tells me to stop by the liquor store by his house so he can grab some beer...whatever dude, I just want this TV for dirt cheap.

Finally we pull into his parents McMansion in south OP and he causally mentions...Alright, lets hurry up before my parents get home...I'm kind of shocked but I'm fully committed at this point.

We go down into the basement where his little brother (16ish?) is playing video games on this 32inch flatscreen and he just starts unplugging everything, says "GAME OVER", then hands it to me and says "You should probably leave before my parents get home"

:horrorsurprise:

I left the company a couple of months later and that guy still works there along with his little brother.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: March 01, 2022, 09:32:38 PM »
Lmao

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile