Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Re: jobs
« Reply #1651 on: December 06, 2016, 08:43:55 AM »
the people in charge of my job told me (and everyone else) at the all-staff meeting that they'll be cutting the 401k match from 50% to 33% for next year.  motherfuckers.
Sounds about right. Especially if most of you are just sitting at home for weeks on end and not showing up to work. Glad they finally grew some balls.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 09:06:22 AM by WackyCat08 »

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: December 06, 2016, 09:05:17 AM »
Just make it's clear you can adjust as needed, but you'd like to make sure you leave your old job on good terms. If they're interviewing someone halfway across the country, there's a good chance they have some flexibility as well.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: December 06, 2016, 09:10:12 AM »
So I had a phone interview for a job in California today, and it went pretty well, but the question of how much time I would need to give notice and get moved was asked and I had not even thought about that. I know a few of you have made big moves like that for employment, how much time did you take? What complications did you hit?

2 weeks minimum.   In your case, if you have a major project you may be the lead on, I'd either offer to stay until it is complete (assuming it's a typical bid cycle), or let them know ASAP so it may be reassigned.    I saw below you said 6-8 weeks, yeah, that's a bit of stretch IMHO given your role.

I gave my last employer 4 weeks notice due to my role and the fact he fired my only cohort right before I gave notice (I mean, like the day before) and I was also basically his IT person.    He tried hard to get me to stay, but ended up never replacing either of us.   

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: December 06, 2016, 09:46:55 AM »
Yeah, the notice is no problem given what I do, I was more wondering about the moving part. I've never moved more than an hour or so away so I was wondering if people had unexpected problems or things they would do differently.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: December 06, 2016, 10:34:03 AM »
Yeah, the notice is no problem given what I do, I was more wondering about the moving part. I've never moved more than an hour or so away so I was wondering if people had unexpected problems or things they would do differently.

Depends on whether or not the company offers a relocation package. Usually those come with a period of temp housing so you can move a little faster. If they are telling you up front there's none of that you'll definitely need more time. But just communicate - if they like you, they'll make it work.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: December 06, 2016, 10:48:06 AM »
You're going to love California.

Offline halfEmpty

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: December 06, 2016, 11:49:26 AM »
When I moved from KC to Milwaukee (same company, so didn't stop working my old job until the day I packed the Uhaul), I think I accepted the new position in mid November and moved the first week of January.  I got a small compensation package which covered the cost of the Uhaul, gas, and flight to check out homes, etc..(Keep receipts as all of this is deductible from your taxes as well)  The hardest part is finding a place to live.  I was working an on-site project in Michigan at the time so I would drive over on weekends and try to look at places.  I would definitely ask if they offer any moving compensation (moving your stuff, travel out there to check out places to live, etc...)  As for time.  Since getting out of the lease isn't an issue, it's basically your standard 2 weeks for your current job and then the extra time you think it will take to secure a place to live and move yourself there.  An extra 2-4 weeks isn't unreasonable.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: December 06, 2016, 12:37:20 PM »
moving is a giant pain in the ass.  taking 6-8 weeks doesn't seem excessive to me at all.  have you/are you going to accept and where in california is it?  if in the valley or coastal fresno, i may see you at work (please don't talk to me).

"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: December 06, 2016, 01:05:26 PM »
San Jose.

And I'm not sure if I'd accept, have to see what the pay is like. I definitely have a minimum amount in mind to keep a similar quality of life, and that minimum falls right at "average" for the title and location, but I don't know how much faith to put in salary reporting sites (like glassdoor).

There are some other factors too, but pay would probably be the largest decider, San Jose is stupidly expensive.

And if I ever see you sys, I'm going to give you a big aspie on aspie hug

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: December 06, 2016, 01:10:14 PM »
comparing QoL in san jose to QoL in crime infested waldo isn't a valid comparo because your life will be led differently in both areas

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: December 06, 2016, 01:10:25 PM »
Your rent is going to be at least 3k and it will be a dump

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: December 06, 2016, 01:11:38 PM »
3 weeks is more than enough.  Two weeks for your current employer and then you can get packed and moved in a week, easy.  It's not like you've got kids to get into new schools or anything. Get on apartments.com and find something in your budget reasonably close to your office.  Unless you have super nice furniture that you just bought, I would sell it and not bother moving anything but the bare minimum.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: December 06, 2016, 01:11:54 PM »
san jose col will kill you.  i don't know how people live there.  you should prolly pad whatever your figure is even a little more.  decent climate, tho.

people i know that try to commute from cheaper housing hate that too.  it's no kind of life.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: December 06, 2016, 01:16:49 PM »
Even with no dependents, you need to make at least 130k to live there

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1665 on: December 06, 2016, 01:19:36 PM »
Well Kim, that's why I have a minimum figure in mind after researching the the housing costs.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: December 06, 2016, 01:35:17 PM »
i'd just build a lean-to in a small forest outside of san jose.  shower at the gym on your way to work.  also hitch hike a lot.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: December 06, 2016, 01:39:16 PM »
One of the houses I saw was a guest house in the mountains about 20 minutes outside of sj. It looked p great but they said no dogs :Grr:

Anyway all of this has like a 10% chance of happening, I'm just a researcher by nature and like to have as much information as possible.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: December 06, 2016, 02:07:12 PM »
One of the houses I saw was a guest house in the mountains about 20 minutes outside of sj.

20 minutes at what time of day?  maybe you'd have to go in early enough that traffic wouldn't completely destroy your life?

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: December 06, 2016, 02:22:13 PM »
It would have been about an hour to the office in traffic.

The office is in a pretty good location geographically and I'm "budgeting" for places under 30min in traffic, so I don't expect traffic to be much of a concern for commutes between home and office. The job would include quite a bit of travel around the entire bay during the day though, so I'd probably hit more traffic issues coming back from a site visit and that's pretty much unavoidable for the region

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: December 06, 2016, 02:34:47 PM »
I don't know if I would enjoy living in the Bay much if I couldn't take bart to work every day. I definitely would enjoy it less.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: December 06, 2016, 02:41:10 PM »
I don't know if I would enjoy living in the Bay much if I couldn't take bart to work every day. I definitely would enjoy it less.

Yes, one major drawback is this office is a mile or more from the light rail, but having a company vehicle makes that difficult to utilize anyway.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: December 06, 2016, 06:09:10 PM »
someone ate a half burrito that i had in the office fridge.  it was a burrito paid for and distributed by the company, nonetheless, it was stacked on top of other food that i'd brought from home.  and i'd eaten half of it.

also, they fired another person.  there's not that many people left to fire. (the fired person did not eat the half burrito).

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: December 08, 2016, 05:51:37 PM »
also, they fired another person.  there's not that many people left to fire. (the fired person did not eat the half burrito).

they fired another person today.  they're down to 11 people in this office.  a year ago they had 18.  eighteen months ago they had 23.  hopefully i'll last long enough to snag an extra half burrito to make up for the one i that was stolen from me.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: December 08, 2016, 05:52:46 PM »
this is exciting, sys.  guessing today's victim is some dumbass who is there all the time?