Author Topic: jobs  (Read 280403 times)

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: jobs
« Reply #1475 on: October 11, 2016, 03:41:46 PM »
Start calling her toots and hon. That will get her off your case.

This is great advice.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1476 on: October 11, 2016, 03:48:02 PM »
Maybe ask for some sandwich making tips.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: October 11, 2016, 03:49:13 PM »
Maybe ask for some sandwich making tips.
:sdeek:

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: October 12, 2016, 09:00:34 AM »
0 emails so far today!  :party:

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: October 12, 2016, 09:09:30 AM »
Email her and give her the info/update she normally wants before she asks for it.  She will think you have your crap together.  Stuff like that over short term will clear the path.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: October 12, 2016, 09:20:50 AM »
Why would I email her an update on things at 8AMish when in theory we should have had an update meeting the previous day at 4PM and the next one is at 930AM?  Like why can't she just wait till the rough ridin' meeting?  That's the point of the meeting. 

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: October 12, 2016, 09:23:44 AM »
Your earlier emails stated that you don't think she understands.   She is obvsly trying to get a handle on it so she doesn't look like a fool in the meeting.  Help that.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: October 12, 2016, 09:26:59 AM »
Why would I email her an update on things at 8AMish when in theory we should have had an update meeting the previous day at 4PM and the next one is at 930AM?  Like why can't she just wait till the rough ridin' meeting?  That's the point of the meeting.

Is she the highest rank in the meeting? If not, she is trying to make sure you don't say anything that she gets surprised by in front of her boss.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: October 12, 2016, 09:38:27 AM »
I'm thinking the snarky responses worked because we went from 5 emails to 0 in just one day.  Ima just do that if this arises again. 

FWIW, I would act differently if I were pursuing a lengthy career here. 

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: October 12, 2016, 09:39:57 AM »

Is she the highest rank in the meeting? If not, she is trying to make sure you don't say anything that she gets surprised by in front of her boss.

Sometimes.  She needs to get over it.  It's not like it's her fault if something changes between 4PM on a Monday and 930 AM on a Tuesday. 

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1485 on: October 12, 2016, 09:40:44 AM »
I'm thinking the snarky responses worked because we went from 5 emails to 0 in just one day.  Ima just do that if this arises again. 

Would you react differently if your boss were a man?

What are your relative ages? Would you react differently if your boss was significantly older (i.e. maybe more experienced) than you?

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: October 12, 2016, 09:42:40 AM »
Sometimes.  She needs to get over it.  It's not like it's her fault if something changes between 4PM on a Monday and 930 AM on a Tuesday.

Her boss may not see it that way or react according to that logic. Or perhaps she's had bosses in the past that reacted badly to that situation. She just started right? Maybe once she sees how this office works she will adjust accordingly.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: October 12, 2016, 09:47:26 AM »
What happened to the old boss?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: October 12, 2016, 09:52:14 AM »

Would you react differently if your boss were a man?

What are your relative ages? Would you react differently if your boss was significantly older (i.e. maybe more experienced) than you?

I don't know, I've never had a male micromanager boss before.  At my previous employer I had 9 different bosses in 9 years, 2 of them female, and I got along with one great and the other not so great, but at least she wasn't a micromanager, we just didn't agree on the direction of the department.  Of the 7 male bosses I really liked most of them.  One I hated for legitimate reasons.  One I ended up not liking because he was a failure as a manager, but like I'd have beers with him or whatever, no hard feelings or anything.  Good guy otherwise.

She's older than me, not sure of her age, maybe like 50 (I'm 34).  She has worked her way up from like the blue collar side of the business, and I can respect that.  This is the first time she's managed folks with a college degree. 

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: October 12, 2016, 09:53:46 AM »

Her boss may not see it that way or react according to that logic. Or perhaps she's had bosses in the past that reacted badly to that situation. She just started right? Maybe once she sees how this office works she will adjust accordingly.

I'm not sensitive to that situation.  She's going to have to get over it. 

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: October 12, 2016, 10:00:31 AM »
What happened to the old boss?

He had more than two dozen direct reports including some functional managers and was overloaded.  They kinda shifted who reports to whom, did hire one other manager, too.  This was all spurred by "learnings" from when we had a consultant come in.  The consultant was an idiot, BTW, just on cruise control before retirement.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: October 12, 2016, 10:25:46 AM »
sounds like everyone is an idiot, but you

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: October 12, 2016, 10:48:33 AM »
I've only said two people were idiots.  There are some good people here, but no doubt this is a dying company and I don't jive with the culture.

Actually the consultant thing was two people, one of whom quit just after the project completed.  The other (idiot), is a huge advocate of paper files.  Everything should be paper.  Computers are for emails, that's it. 

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: October 12, 2016, 11:03:49 AM »
I've only said two people were idiots.  There are some good people here, but no doubt this is a dying company and I don't jive with the culture.

Actually the consultant thing was two people, one of whom quit just after the project completed.  The other (idiot), is a huge advocate of paper files.  Everything should be paper.  Computers are for emails, that's it.

Were both of the consultants named Bob?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: October 12, 2016, 12:31:56 PM »

Were both of the consultants named Bob?

One Bob, one Chris.  Chris sorta had a mullet thing and drove a brand new orange Dodge Charger or something like that. 

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: October 16, 2016, 01:01:51 AM »
I've gotten burned out on every full time job I've ever had within a year. I think it probably has to do with the jobs I choose to accept, but I think I also just hold an extreme dislike for working (at jobs, especially for someone else/ a company, not getting crap done in other ways).  It's totally a -- up to this point -- necessary evil.

I never got the same feeling with part-time jobs.

eff me.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1496 on: October 24, 2016, 03:53:53 PM »
Good grief. Corporate hiring processes are slow. New job. Bigger paycheck. Finally.

Go Cats!

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: October 24, 2016, 03:54:53 PM »
:thumbs:

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: October 24, 2016, 05:53:25 PM »
Good grief. Corporate hiring processes are slow. New job. Bigger paycheck. Finally.

Go Cats!

now we can all buy Nests in peace?

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: October 24, 2016, 05:54:40 PM »
No,  now he has to push big Honeywell even more  :frown:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite