Author Topic: jobs  (Read 280584 times)

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: jobs
« Reply #1400 on: September 30, 2016, 10:33:39 AM »
Sometimes we have non-mandatory meetings that you can attend if you want to learn more about some certain topic.  LOL.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: September 30, 2016, 10:44:17 AM »
Might resign tomorrow
Deets

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I have two people over me. Lower boss is new. They hate each other and request meetings with me all the time trying to get dirt on each other. I take the high road and compliment each despite having deep reservations about both. Work environment is very tense, but I manage. The past two days lower new boss has called me and questioned my production despite not having a clue what goes on in the office. Lower new boss also hasn't been in the office the past couple days due to a conference. Since new boss came on I have done their job since they don't know what to do and haven't bothered to learn it.

Lower new boss requested we have a meeting tomorrow. If they try to burn me I might just tell them best wishes. I had job offers from other companies over the summer. Not sure if they are still there, but I can manage to get by a few months if they're not. I planned on leaving next year but might leave a bit more abruptly.

I've had problems with lower new boss for a while but we work through it. They never called me on my production before, and I take that personally since I am doing their job for the most part and carrying them.
sounds like an opportunity for you to move up at the expense of lower boss

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: September 30, 2016, 11:10:29 AM »
Most of you people sound like you work for this guy....

Watch your asses if The Bobs show up.

there are a great deal of people in this world exactly like that rough ridin' guy.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: September 30, 2016, 11:17:33 AM »

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: September 30, 2016, 11:38:14 AM »
Most of you people sound like you work for this guy....

Watch your asses if The Bobs show up.

there are a great deal of people in this world exactly like that rough ridin' guy.

There are a good portion of the pop that are idiots and a good portion of the pop that only do what they have to.  Just because someone is higher in the hierarchy, doesn't mean they don't belong in one or both of those portions of the pop.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: September 30, 2016, 12:18:03 PM »
We literally had a couple of consultants doing process stuff here a few months ago, and one of them was named Bob.  He had been a consultant most of his life, but now is fully employed by my company, and just travels around and consults for all the subsidiary companies.  He had no clue what we actually do here.  And he actually implemented a process that makes us dependent on paper files.  rough ridin' paper!  It's ridiculous.  He was also the implementer of the three status update meetings a day thing. 

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: September 30, 2016, 02:02:44 PM »
JFC you people and your meetings. Granted I only have 3 FTE working for me, but typically at the beginning of a week I'll send them each the tasks I want to see done that are beyond their normal daily duties. At the end of the week I follow up with them. Every other week we all get together, have some beers, and discuss changes we want to see/new ideas.

I've never worked for a large company that requires working with tons of different people on a daily basis, but meetings seem super counter-productive. When Mrs. KCFD started working at her current job she took over a team of about 45 people that were terribly mismanaged, mostly spend all their days in meetings and got nothing done. She now meets with her managers on Monday to talk about the week, then usually takes them out for a drink on Friday. If an emergency pops up she sits down with the team involved and figures it out.

This is not rocket science.

TLDR: meetings are pointless, avoid them at all costs.

The Big Train

« Reply #1407 on: September 30, 2016, 02:05:22 PM »
Not to be a dick but what else is there to talk about? 

Hey what beer do you wanna make this week?

Idk how about the same one we did last time?

Ok sounds good. 

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: September 30, 2016, 02:10:13 PM »
Not to be a dick but what else is there to talk about? 

Hey what beer do you wanna make this week?

Idk how about the same one we did last time?

Ok sounds good.

yes. that is all that goes into running a brewery. or any company really.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1409 on: September 30, 2016, 02:13:33 PM »
Damn. Way too many meetings. Seven each month is plenty for me. All are by telephone.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1410 on: September 30, 2016, 02:17:30 PM »
Meetings are absolutely essential in matrix organizations and especially projects with cross-functional resources.  It's important to meet when communication goes across functions, for the sake of creating clarity, and (counter-intuitive for some of you) time efficiency.  And time efficiency doesn't mean that someone with 8 hours of available work time completes 8 hours of work.  It means that it doesn't take you two years to develop and release a product that your competitor can do in 18 months.  Going fast means you have to quickly generate consensus from functional experts/leaders.  And you can do that with meetings.  It's not foreign to me that worker-bee types have a stimulus/anti-body response to meetings, especially engineers, they don't like begin put on the spot.  They like to receive data, interpret, mull it over, and then offer the most complete response with a million asterisks so that their ass isn't on the line if it doesn't work.  Anyway, fully agree that meetings can be time wasters.  But some meetings are perceived to be time wasters by people who aren't high enough to have the whole picture.

The Big Train

« Reply #1411 on: September 30, 2016, 02:20:04 PM »
I wouldn't be able to do my job very well without some meetings, but I would assume that's the case with most people

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: September 30, 2016, 02:21:06 PM »
Sounds like your companies should have weekly meetings to remind people of the importance of meetings.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: September 30, 2016, 02:22:23 PM »
Meetings are absolutely essential in matrix organizations and especially projects with cross-functional resources.  It's important to meet when communication goes across functions, for the sake of creating clarity, and (counter-intuitive for some of you) time efficiency.  And time efficiency doesn't mean that someone with 8 hours of available work time completes 8 hours of work.  It means that it doesn't take you two years to develop and release a product that your competitor can do in 18 months.  Going fast means you have to quickly generate consensus from functional experts/leaders.  And you can do that with meetings.  It's not foreign to me that worker-bee types have a stimulus/anti-body response to meetings, especially engineers, they don't like begin put on the spot.  They like to receive data, interpret, mull it over, and then offer the most complete response with a million asterisks so that their ass isn't on the line if it doesn't work.  Anyway, fully agree that meetings can be time wasters.  But some meetings are perceived to be time wasters by people who aren't high enough to have the whole picture.

IMO most meetings could just involve directors/managers and they go relay that information to the so-called "worker bee" employees. I'm not saying meeting with a whole team to achieve project consensus/speed is not important. But most every day mundane meetings can be eliminated. 

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: September 30, 2016, 02:25:20 PM »
manager bee life

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: September 30, 2016, 02:35:48 PM »

This post is very meeting-esque.  Long, boring, self important, pointless. 

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: September 30, 2016, 02:37:01 PM »
JK emo I'm sure meetings are necessary at your confusing job.  But I just couldn't resist that zinger.  :D

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: September 30, 2016, 02:40:15 PM »
The problem is when all the worker-bee types are really rough ridin' smart but poor communicators and you know what I don't know how the eff this doo-hickey works here let's get you in a room with you and you and then you tell them and then I can't eff up the translation which would invariably happen if you told me and then I told you.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: September 30, 2016, 02:42:17 PM »
I worked in a corporation that had 77,000 plus employees spread across the globe.  Most of our in-house meetings with field supervisors were great and very meaningful (i.e. made us more money).  However, we had endless bullshit meetings where some out of town "dignitaries" came to visit and wanted to wow us with crap that didn't apply to our market and constantly asked for information from us that they could use to prepare presentations to justify their position.

@mikec2w

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: September 30, 2016, 02:44:46 PM »
The problem is when all the worker-bee types are really rough ridin' smart but poor communicators and you know what I don't know how the eff this doo-hickey works here let's get you in a room with you and you and then you tell them and then I can't eff up the translation which would invariably happen if you told me and then I told you.

Obviously. If someone doesn't understand this well I feel sorry for them because they're clearly stupid which is the opposite of a smart person like me.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: September 30, 2016, 02:52:53 PM »
I've been in a meeting for almost 2 hours now.  At least I've made some progress on the dog front.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: September 30, 2016, 03:09:30 PM »
Goddamnit how appropriate I'm in a crap storm right now because someone didn't have a meeting in my absence last week.  We have product ready to ship except we didn't incorporate a late customer change and now we gotta scramble!

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: September 30, 2016, 03:55:37 PM »
Matrix organizations :barf:

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant