Author Topic: jobs  (Read 280574 times)

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: jobs
« Reply #1375 on: September 29, 2016, 04:52:49 PM »
Just when I think _33 couldn't be a bigger stud he rocks another thread.  Unbelievable.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: September 29, 2016, 04:59:23 PM »
I had 9 in one day a few weeks ago.  rough ridin' 9. 

Morning overview of current status and crap getting done today.
Update from ops on where are with crap.
More detailed review/escalation meeting on a project by project basis.
Mid-day overview of current status and crap getting done today.
Meeting on product development projects.
Kick-off meeting on new project.
Meeting for update specific to one large project.
Meeting with ops to go over large projects.
End of day overview of crap that got done today.

These are simply ridiculous.  Here's a novel concept:  Doing crap instead of talking about doing crap.

These are attended by project and functional managers, not the people doing the work.  Some communicate the status/roadblocks, the others mitigate and prioritize their resources.

There is absolutely a better way but the senior management can't secure funds for investment to create a better way.  It's incredibly stupid.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: September 29, 2016, 05:21:36 PM »
If it is not the people actually doing the work but they are having 3 meetings per day on status then that means the managers are bugging the workers several times a day to get status to report at the meeting.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: September 29, 2016, 06:34:26 PM »
Project managers are the worst. HEY WHY DON'T YOU ASK THE GUY RESPONSIBLE FOR SHIPPING IT WHEN IT WILL SHIP INSTEAD OF SCHEDULING A MEETING TO ASK ME TO ASK THEM

I am in a shitload of meetings, the biggest problem is when they are redundant. Like, have a weekly meeting with a vendor, then a meeting to update what happened with the vendor with a slightly larger team, and then a meeting with an even larger team where every updates what happened in their meetings about the meetings.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: September 29, 2016, 06:35:12 PM »
Hiring a doctor is a long ass process to be fair. Everything from finding/recruiting the candidate, to interviewing them personally, then I have them interview with the regional director, then they need to shadow, then they have to interview with our chief dental officer. Then seek PC approval, then the offer, a crap ton of paperwork, then we have to credential them (get them insured through our practice, wait 4-6 weeks in this process, order scrubs, get HR ready and then they're finally on boarded. Doing this with 20-25 docs in the mix at one time is a long process and everyone needs to know what stage they're in. Sigh.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1380 on: September 29, 2016, 06:40:24 PM »
I've never considered dentists to be doctors.  I think I view them as inferior. 

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: September 29, 2016, 06:42:57 PM »
If you wanna make them feel important, you have to call them Dr. So and so. Mrs wacky's bros laugh when I use the term Doctor recruiter because they feel the same way about dentists

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: September 29, 2016, 06:44:41 PM »
Might resign tomorrow

The Big Train

« Reply #1383 on: September 29, 2016, 06:48:36 PM »
I've never considered dentists to be doctors.  I think I view them as inferior.

I have since The Hangover

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: September 29, 2016, 06:51:08 PM »
Do you guys have contigency plans in place for when a handful of your dentists inevitably commit suicide?

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: September 29, 2016, 06:52:32 PM »
Might resign tomorrow
Deets

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: September 29, 2016, 07:03:21 PM »
Do you guys have contigency plans in place for when a handful of your dentists inevitably commit suicide?
Yeah, I've got a great pipeline. :D I don't know how dentists are the biggest alcoholic profession when they work with their hands all day. So bizarre.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: September 29, 2016, 07:12:40 PM »
Might resign tomorrow
Deets

I have two people over me. Lower boss is new. They hate each other and request meetings with me all the time trying to get dirt on each other. I take the high road and compliment each despite having deep reservations about both. Work environment is very tense, but I manage. The past two days lower new boss has called me and questioned my production despite not having a clue what goes on in the office. Lower new boss also hasn't been in the office the past couple days due to a conference. Since new boss came on I have done their job since they don't know what to do and haven't bothered to learn it.

Lower new boss requested we have a meeting tomorrow. If they try to burn me I might just tell them best wishes. I had job offers from other companies over the summer. Not sure if they are still there, but I can manage to get by a few months if they're not. I planned on leaving next year but might leave a bit more abruptly.

I've had problems with lower new boss for a while but we work through it. They never called me on my production before, and I take that personally since I am doing their job for the most part and carrying them.

The Big Train

« Reply #1388 on: September 29, 2016, 07:15:19 PM »
So did you get that memo?

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: September 29, 2016, 08:50:48 PM »
Why are you using a gender neutral pronoun?

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: September 29, 2016, 09:04:12 PM »
I work with some K-State alums. I don't want to leave any tracks.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: September 29, 2016, 09:06:37 PM »
Might resign tomorrow
Deets

I have two people over me. Lower boss is new. They hate each other and request meetings with me all the time trying to get dirt on each other. I take the high road and compliment each despite having deep reservations about both. Work environment is very tense, but I manage. The past two days lower new boss has called me and questioned my production despite not having a clue what goes on in the office. Lower new boss also hasn't been in the office the past couple days due to a conference. Since new boss came on I have done their job since they don't know what to do and haven't bothered to learn it.

Lower new boss requested we have a meeting tomorrow. If they try to burn me I might just tell them best wishes. I had job offers from other companies over the summer. Not sure if they are still there, but I can manage to get by a few months if they're not. I planned on leaving next year but might leave a bit more abruptly.

I've had problems with lower new boss for a while but we work through it. They never called me on my production before, and I take that personally since I am doing their job for the most part and carrying them.

no reason to resign before you have a job lined up. have a little composure and deal with it for a month or two.

Also sounds like you have a better relationship with the older higher boss, maybe stop taking the high road or at least let the upper boss know you're frustrated with lower new boss.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: September 29, 2016, 09:07:02 PM »
Have a job lined up before you leave.  Shouldn't have to tell you that but here we are.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: September 29, 2016, 09:11:03 PM »
Stop doing the bosses job for him

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: September 29, 2016, 09:20:45 PM »
That will probably come up in our meeting tomorrow

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1395 on: September 29, 2016, 09:25:32 PM »
be more surly and resentful with your coworkers (stop thinking of them as bosses) and if you have do any work, only do it grudgingly.  work behavior is just like any other animal behavior, if interacting with you is unpleasant and getting you do to work is difficult, the other animals will alter their behavior to avoid the unpleasantness and difficulty.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: September 30, 2016, 08:28:24 AM »
My department lead is a quiet introvert like me and does 99% of anything over email, it's very ideal
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: September 30, 2016, 08:57:27 AM »
If it is not the people actually doing the work but they are having 3 meetings per day on status then that means the managers are bugging the workers several times a day to get status to report at the meeting.

Well that's not true.  Status of simpler tasks can be monitored with a tool.  When a task is completed a function is closed and every one can see it.  What one cannot see is the greater health of projects, because the tool is incapable of reporting on status of multiple projects at a time.  It also can't tell you what someone is currently working on (it can tell you everything they could be working on, but you never know what's #1), and how long it's expected to take them to complete what they are working on.  Also does not indicate priority of tasks or projects for shared resources.  It's a real rough ridin' mess.  I only go to those things when 1) I need to escalate things to functional managers, or 2) I find out my resources have been plundered without prior communication to me.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: September 30, 2016, 09:03:51 AM »
My department lead is a quiet introvert like me and does 99% of anything over email, it's very ideal

email is always ideal. paper trails and such.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: September 30, 2016, 09:39:15 AM »
Most of you people sound like you work for this guy....

Watch your asses if The Bobs show up.
@mikec2w