Author Topic: jobs  (Read 280431 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: jobs
« Reply #550 on: September 02, 2015, 05:32:19 PM »
i'm in a customer service type job where people come to me with problems but it's always the same exact problem. like they have a bad #4 hex widget and it's the seventh bad #4 hex widget i've seen that day but they think their hex widget problem is interesting or something and i'm like oh for crying out loud do i have to listen to this for the 43rd time this week? the hours and pay are ok though and i really shouldn't complain, but sometimes i wish i was given a #8 hex widget or maybe a completely different kind of widget all together. like a jones widget or a funker widget. i'm guessing monotony is a pretty common job complaint though.

I'll swap you jobs one day a week but I get to stay in your basement the evening before

i would be more lost in your job than you would be in mine

nah, figure the weight x $$$ = price.   It's easy.    ;)

Also highlighting. Lots and lots of highlighting.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: September 02, 2015, 09:12:51 PM »
rick daris, if you hadn't had children, you'd have enough money by now to retire do novel stuff everyday.

Actually probably not true and I would be even more bored. Like zzzzzzzzzz.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: September 03, 2015, 03:18:43 AM »
Anyone know of any emaw siding contractors in Topeka? I'm a little bit over this whole overnight job. For many reasons, least of it being the schedule, I'd rather work elsewhere.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: September 03, 2015, 07:43:13 AM »
man one time Daris got me out of a hex widget squeeze on this very board.  i'd been using the wrong widget for about 2 months and it was seriously driving me insane.  Ofc. Daris to the rescue.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: September 03, 2015, 09:02:18 AM »
Anyone know of any emaw siding contractors in Topeka? I'm a little bit over this whole overnight job. For many reasons, least of it being the schedule, I'd rather work elsewhere.

have you considered joining the carpenters union?   They need good help.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: September 03, 2015, 09:57:50 AM »
rick daris, if you hadn't had children, you'd have enough money by now to retire do novel stuff everyday.

i am positive you'd have the money.  roid was right about you needing to hobby up.  bored without work, now i've heard everything.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: September 03, 2015, 10:12:42 AM »
I just got done with my 4th interview with this company this morning. Knowing that my current company walks people out when they put in their two weeks, they asked if they offered, if I could start on Tuesday. I told them: "I believe so". They told me to expect a call tonight or tomorrow.  :crossfingers:

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: September 03, 2015, 10:14:34 AM »
I've seen many people burned by that hope they get asked to leave after turning in their notice.

Good luck, Wacky!

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: September 03, 2015, 10:18:48 AM »
have you ever considered starting your own for profit university?

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: September 03, 2015, 10:21:04 AM »
yeah, be careful wacky.

you could always just not put in two weeks and say screw the reference, but sometime companies have it so they wont pay out vacation/sick time if you dont give two weeks. check on that.

good luck!
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: September 03, 2015, 10:22:05 AM »
I've seen many people burned by that hope they get asked to leave after turning in their notice.

Good luck, Wacky!
Since I've been here, I've seen 7 people walked out after putting in their two weeks. If they ask where, just say a competitor (even though it's not).

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: September 03, 2015, 10:22:48 AM »

i am positive you'd have the money.  roid was right about you needing to hobby up.  bored without work, now i've heard everything.

i really don't think i would. i didn't start making actual money until 2003 and i have a bunch of student loans. i'm up for the hobby thing but i think it would have to be one that i could do at work as well and i can't really think of anything. goEMAW is my only work hobby. i'm open for suggestions.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: September 03, 2015, 10:25:50 AM »
Have you considered delving further into your ears and "sound"  interests?

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: September 03, 2015, 10:27:31 AM »
I just got done with my 4th interview with this company this morning. Knowing that my current company walks people out when they put in their two weeks, they asked if they offered, if I could start on Tuesday. I told them: "I believe so". They told me to expect a call tonight or tomorrow.  :crossfingers:
GJ, Wacky!  Are you going to spill your guts on every detail when this is all over?  I sure hope so!!
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

The Big Train

« Reply #564 on: September 03, 2015, 10:28:41 AM »
Good luck Wacky!  :crossfingers:

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: September 03, 2015, 10:31:35 AM »

i really don't think i would. i didn't start making actual money until 2003 and i have a bunch of student loans. i'm up for the hobby thing but i think it would have to be one that i could do at work as well and i can't really think of anything. goEMAW is my only work hobby. i'm open for suggestions.

were you ever bored in past summers or is it just this weak ass combo fanning season that has you in a funk?
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: September 03, 2015, 10:44:12 AM »
GJ, Wacky!  Are you going to spill your guts on every detail when this is all over?  I sure hope so!!
Hopefully. However, not too much. A fellow K-State'r got me in the doors on this one. It would be higher pay, some travel, out of this gross industry, and something I feel like I could thrive in. :crossfingers:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: September 03, 2015, 11:59:03 AM »

12 years is more than enough time to generate your retirement fund.  how bad was your debt situ?

since you hate animals, why don't you make travel your hobby?  you already enjoy posting about trips you don't take, just transition to taking those trips.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: September 03, 2015, 12:04:38 PM »
Go to that korean man spa you always wanted to

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: September 03, 2015, 01:07:57 PM »

I have not considered that. I am also not sure that I will in the area in a year. So I'd rather not have someone invest too much time to train me. But I'll keep that in mind. Thank you.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: September 03, 2015, 01:13:17 PM »

I have not considered that. I am also not sure that I will in the area in a year. So I'd rather not have someone invest too much time to train me. But I'll keep that in mind. Thank you.

tip: don't tell prospective employer you don't plan to be around in a year.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: September 03, 2015, 01:14:07 PM »

I already tried to get him to join a band with me.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: September 03, 2015, 01:16:33 PM »

I already tried to get him to join a band with me.

Perhaps he could go around to your shows and give people tinnitus advice and tell them how far away from the stage they need to stand.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: September 03, 2015, 01:17:37 PM »

tip: don't tell prospective employer you don't plan to be around in a year.
Oh I wouldn't. I'd just rather go into a job I already know how to do well and start contributing right away. Rather than go through growing pains. I dunno. Just doesn't feel right to me.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: September 03, 2015, 01:20:24 PM »
You can move anywhere around the country with the union (I think, I've never been part of one)