Author Topic: jobs  (Read 280600 times)

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: jobs
« Reply #175 on: June 23, 2015, 11:37:41 AM »
For a move to be worth your while, and you are leaving your current job of your own volition, I think it takes the total package (salary, benefits, etc.) to be at least a 10% bump. This could be offset by signing bonuses or if you're just like really geeked about the new gig.

That said, somebody did some study that lots of people are referencing these days that says once you make over $75k the correlation between pay increase and happiness/quality of life kind of plateaus.

I currently make over $75k, so this is definitely good info. Do you know which study it is by chance? I'd like to read it. I have read that after $75k, responsibility and expected employee ROI increases exponentially.

I read this as currently having the laid back atmosphere with flex time and stuff.  Correct?  If so, it would have to be a pretty big raise for me to jump, assuming I was already making decent money. 

How likely is it you could get back to your current job in a year if you don't like the other one?

Currently I can wear whatever I want to work and it's very laid back. The company i'd move to would be more old school suit/tie type place. Not a huge issue to wear nicer things for me, but sometimes with that kind of culture change, there are other issues that arise and the company "feel" isn't productive anymore. The jump would be about a 30% base salary move but there are some unknowns to the equation on the new employer end.

The million dollar question of whether I can switch back to my current company if the new one doesn't work out is a tricky one. I'd like to think that I could, but at the same time, my current employer could just say F you out of spite alone.

http://blogs.wsj.com/wealth/2010/09/07/the-perfect-salary-for-happiness-75000-a-year/

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 23, 2015, 01:28:06 PM »
That needs to be adjusted from 2010 dollars to 2015 dollars...which would be about $82K...also it says that the more money you make the more overall life happiness you have...so I guess Shellshock needs to take that higher paying job.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 23, 2015, 01:45:44 PM »
Unless you are a workaholic, just absolutely love your job, or are super passionate about the service/product you provide, I think it is best to make enough money and find a good hobby, be involved with your family, and voluneer/etc.  The job with flexibility, good vacation, and that doesn't make you work more than like 45hrs/week is the best way to go, imo.  Find that with the right salary and it is pretty great. 

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 23, 2015, 02:20:10 PM »
Unless you are a workaholic, just absolutely love your job, or are super passionate about the service/product you provide, I think it is best to make enough money and find a good hobby, be involved with your family, and voluneer/etc.  The job with flexibility, good vacation, and that doesn't make you work more than like 45hrs/week is the best way to go, imo.  Find that with the right salary and it is pretty great.

Yup, there's more to life than work.   My boss finally figured that out after his divorce.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 23, 2015, 06:28:15 PM »

There is obviously some dissatisfaction with shell's current position, or he wouldn't have gotten to a point where he was offered a job.
this is not true.

My opinion wrt salary is that I would never leave a company/job I like for less than 15%. I would never leave for a new job/company that I didn't feel I would be able to like. Culture is a big part of that.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: June 25, 2015, 01:42:18 PM »
I'm starting to consider looking for jobs outside of KC. Denver, Dallas, somewhere different. It's weird tho. Now it's even harder, because Ms. wacky would have to find a new job too.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 25, 2015, 01:43:26 PM »
I'm starting to consider looking for jobs outside of KC. Denver, Dallas, somewhere different. It's weird tho. Now it's even harder, because Ms. wacky would have to find a new job too.

you could just find her a new job and you could be a stay at home dad raising the babies

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 25, 2015, 01:45:51 PM »

you could just find her a new job and you could be a stay at home dad raising the babies
Would take. It's sad, for profit schools have ruined my career. I'm striking out a lot on decent jobs.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 25, 2015, 01:46:42 PM »
can ms wacky not transfer to the same/similar job in a different UA office?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 25, 2015, 01:48:58 PM »
can ms wacky not transfer to the same/similar job in a different UA office?
It's a weird setup, she technically works for gear for sports, but specializes in their UA golf department. Gear for sports corporate is here in KC, so I don't think so. I want her to keep that job too. I think it's super cool what she gets to do. She just had a couple photos taken with Spieth at the office yesterday. I mean, what in the world?!!

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 25, 2015, 01:49:38 PM »
damn, that sucks!

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 25, 2015, 01:51:46 PM »
But she's down for moving. Specifically Colorado would be ideal for her.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 25, 2015, 02:28:09 PM »
what about international? like the UA factory in indonesia or something?

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 25, 2015, 02:31:09 PM »
Wacks, do whatever you are going to do now or in the very near future.  I mean, if you wait to the point that you have kids, or if they are even on the planning horizon, it may be a lot to overcome due to family and stuff. 

Basically, if you want to get out of KC, get out now because it won't get any easier than it is now.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 25, 2015, 02:42:57 PM »
Yeah, also, I love her family, but it's huge and this might be selfish of me, but we have plans every weekend with them. Kids bday, wedding, etc. I've worked 6 Saturday's in a row and now I have to run to another family event. Yikes! Make it stop.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 25, 2015, 03:04:03 PM »
Yeah, also, I love her family, but it's huge and this might be selfish of me, but we have plans every weekend with them. Kids bday, wedding, etc. I've worked 6 Saturday's in a row and now I have to run to another family event. Yikes! Make it stop.

Add monthly long drives into that plan and you get what your life in Colorado will be.  Close family won't just say oh well and stop with the plans.  They will just start telling you that you never come around anymore and try to guilt you into that plane ticket often.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 25, 2015, 03:07:41 PM »
Ugh.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 25, 2015, 03:14:21 PM »
You can gradually ween yourself away from the family gatherings, making them less frequent as you go. And you can tell the people to come visit you in Colorado, instead of you having to come back to Kansas all the time.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 25, 2015, 03:22:23 PM »
puni was close with the indonesia escape plan

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 25, 2015, 08:40:15 PM »
Move to annapolis maryland.  She can work at UA hq in baltimore. You can start your broadcasting career.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 25, 2015, 08:42:23 PM »

Add monthly long drives into that plan and you get what your life in Colorado will be.  Close family won't just say oh well and stop with the plans.  They will just start telling you that you never come around anymore and try to guilt you into that plane ticket often.

She's an heiress though so plane tickets are no prob :kstategrad:
:adios:

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 25, 2015, 09:27:13 PM »
See!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 25, 2015, 09:28:37 PM »

Move to annapolis maryland.  She can work at UA hq in baltimore. You can start your broadcasting career.
team up with hud. Stay in kc.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 26, 2015, 01:30:27 PM »
I work for a school that has tech in it's letters and our computers are like from the 90's and the internet runs like the old dial up.  :lol: Today, work was cancelled because somehow they shut down the power and don't know how to turn it back on.  :lol:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 26, 2015, 01:32:18 PM »
I work for a school that has tech in it's letters and our computers are like from the 90's and the internet runs like the old dial up.  :lol: Today, work was cancelled because somehow they shut down the power and don't know how to turn it back on.  :lol:

And your job is convincing poor people that it's in their best interest to attend this school.