Author Topic: jobs  (Read 279501 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: jobs
« Reply #850 on: December 20, 2015, 08:20:55 PM »
I thought you were moving to kc with your current gig?

I am, but I apply here and there out in michigancat land when i see something interesting.  i'd like to move out there eventually, but the experience i'm getting at current job will probably help that more in another year or two.

I don't know why you haven't reached out to me about this. I KNOW PEOPLE DAMMIT

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: December 20, 2015, 08:24:47 PM »
ugh, i'm horrible at talking about myself positively.

the posting asks for a "brief" cover letter though, so that's better i guess.
Let me know if I can help.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: December 20, 2015, 09:20:46 PM »
I thought you were moving to kc with your current gig?

I am, but I apply here and there out in michigancat land when i see something interesting.  i'd like to move out there eventually, but the experience i'm getting at current job will probably help that more in another year or two.

I don't know why you haven't reached out to me about this. I KNOW PEOPLE DAMMIT

hook me up bro
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: December 21, 2015, 09:10:33 AM »
I hate writing cover letters.  Such a pain.  That being said, they can be pretty formulaic. 

Paragraph 1: Statement on who you are, and what you're applying to.  Paragraph 2: Things/experiences about yourself that make you qualified for this specific job.  Feel free to include details on the successes of your past projects or whatever experiences you list.  Paragraph 3: What specifically attracts you about this job at this place?  Paragraph 4/conclusion:  Because of X, X and X I am confident that I would be a valuable addition to your team.  List contact information.  Thanks for your consideration.

Paragraph 2 and 3 can be switched too.  That's just how I usually do them. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: December 21, 2015, 09:24:27 AM »
Pro tip: I never look at anyone's cover letter. Mainly just resume's.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #855 on: December 21, 2015, 09:27:52 AM »

What is the thing belonging to the resume that you look at?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: December 21, 2015, 09:32:41 AM »

What is the thing belonging to the resume that you look at?
Their experience. I recruit doctors, so I guess you could say it's different. I mainly make sure to see that they have their diploma, back ground checks, license checks, reference checks, and we make them go through like 4 different interviews before they come on.

Recruiters/HR ppl get excited when resume's fly in. My manager literally wants me to call on everyone of them, whether they're a good fit or not, just to network. It really depends on the position, but if your background looks like you're qualified for that position, you'll usually at least get a call for a brief phone interview.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: December 21, 2015, 09:38:28 AM »
Remember, HR/Recruiters have to fill positions in a certain amount of time. Sometimes they have more than one position to feel as well. When you're dealing with several candidates, the cover letter is the least of my worries. I just want to see how they sound on the phone and get them in front of my regional director.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: December 21, 2015, 09:50:35 AM »
I don't think someone who doesn't know the proper use of apostrophes is qualified to judge a doctor's resume.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: December 21, 2015, 09:52:51 AM »
I don't think someone who doesn't know the proper use of apostrophes is qualified to judge a doctor's resume.
I have other skills that makes up for that, but thanks!  ;)

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: December 21, 2015, 10:25:39 AM »
Cover letters have got the be the dumbest thing ever conceived. They provide absolutely no value to anyone unless you just want to weed out people who can't form complete sentences.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: December 21, 2015, 10:31:52 AM »
Cover letters have got the be the dumbest thing ever conceived. They provide absolutely no value to anyone unless you just want to weed out people who can't form complete sentences.

still not as dumb as mission statements

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: December 21, 2015, 10:33:27 AM »

What? I read the cover letters before I even look at the resume.  That communication piece is huge when sorting out who might fit the work for which I am hiring. And in the business world it is fairly important that we weed out people who can't form complete sentences.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: December 21, 2015, 10:42:14 AM »
I've never had an employer or recruiter mention anything about a cover letter.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: December 21, 2015, 10:42:24 AM »

That actually provides pretty important insight, I would think.  Communication is so much of most ppl's jobs, but it seems to be overlooked a lot. 

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: December 21, 2015, 11:00:24 AM »
I think it is an extra hurdle to weed people out.  It separates those who do blind resume dumps from those who actually sat back for a second and really considered the reasons they want the particular job.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: December 21, 2015, 12:09:05 PM »
Cover letters matter to some people, which is why you should do it if it's a job you really want. I wrote one for the last two or three jobs I've gotten.

I think it is an extra hurdle to weed people out.  It separates those who do blind resume dumps from those who actually sat back for a second and really considered the reasons they want the particular job.

Yep. When I'm looking at applicants and someone doesn't write a cover letter while everyone else does, I assume the person who doesn't write the cover letter doesn't really want the job. It really doesn't require that much effort to write one if you've done it before.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: December 21, 2015, 12:21:29 PM »
i generally have a template cover letter i use where i switch company names, assuming im applying for very similar positions.

my biggest fear is spelling something wrong or saying the wrong thing, so i hardly ever change it. plus, they suck to write. i know the one i have works well and imo cover letters are just to show writing skills and give something other than just a list of the places youve worked.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: December 21, 2015, 01:09:20 PM »
I've hired entry level employees and definitely took cover letters in consideration.  Same as if someone shows up to interview in a suit - not the only thing but will definitely tell me their level of commitment and interest.  In hindsight, most the people that are showing that level of commitment have been pretty successful too.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: December 21, 2015, 04:00:25 PM »
It kind of sounds like ChiCat works in a field where everyone loves to pat themselves on the back. The people I have interviewed I always told them NOT to dress up just to see if they follow directions or not. That said I still do all the things I am degrading (cover letters, wear a suit depending on the company). BUT I DON'T ENJOY IT!

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #870 on: December 21, 2015, 04:01:33 PM »
It kind of sounds like ChiCat works in a field where everyone loves to pat themselves on the back. The people I have interviewed I always told them NOT to dress up just to see if they follow directions or not. That said I still do all the things I am degrading (cover letters, wear a suit depending on the company). BUT I DON'T ENJOY IT!

Culture compels people to engage in all sorts of behavior they might not otherwise enjoy.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: December 21, 2015, 04:03:42 PM »
Culture  :curse:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: December 21, 2015, 04:06:45 PM »

I hope you're not in a position where you interview any longer, shitbag.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: December 21, 2015, 04:08:02 PM »

I hope you're not in a position where you interview any longer, shitbag.

Don't worry, you have to have more than a peanut brain to get hired.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: December 21, 2015, 04:13:10 PM »
hmm, you wore a suit to today's interview.  i have a great feeling about you, kiddo. you're going places in this world.  hired! 

now the guy in overalls, don't know why he wasted my time this morning.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.