Author Topic: SkinnyBenny's Band of Merry Misfits: Townie Master Thread  (Read 53225 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: SkinnyBenny's Band of Merry Misfits: Townie Master Thread
« Reply #350 on: December 21, 2017, 11:05:16 AM »
I have coached against Schartz regularly and he is a very good coach. His teams are disciplined and play hard. From what I know, he seems like a good guy. This incident seems pretty unfortunate. I also know as a coach you can't know about this type of stuff and let it go on. Eventually the wrong kid will be involved and if something goes down it will fall on you. It sounds to me like the school board spent significant time talking to their lawyers and realized at this point they don't have a case for termination, but this is far from over. There is still stuff going down with the legal system and they will let that run its course. I feel bad for the guy because I think he does well for the kids and the town, but if the serious charges come through, the district and school board will have to have a fall guy.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: December 21, 2017, 11:09:18 AM »
his wife is a lawyer as well and also someone who seems very capable, knowledgeable, smart, etc. i would absolutely 100% not want to be on her bad side or go up against her in court or whatever.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: December 21, 2017, 11:13:10 AM »
his wife is a lawyer as well and also someone who seems very capable, knowledgeable, smart, etc. i would absolutely 100% not want to be on her bad side or go up against her in court or whatever.

I have heard this.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 21, 2017, 11:33:26 AM »
How soft have we become that you can't even do a little light hazing on the high school football team.  Good grief.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 21, 2017, 11:50:57 AM »
How soft have we become that you can't even do a little light hazing on the high school football team.  Good grief.

i think a nose or jaw got broken or something

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 21, 2017, 12:28:58 PM »
also I don't think this is really over yet.. http://1350kman.com/school-board-takes-no-action-on-schartz-relinquishes-decision-to-superintendent/

It looks like the Superintendent and the board are playing a game of hot potato.

“The USD 383 Board of Education has a strong policy against hazing — hazing is a crime,” school board president Darrel Edie read in a prepared statement following an extended executive session with fellow board members, superintendent Marvin Wade and a phone conference with an attorney from the Kansas Association of School Boards. “The board also has policies concerning the supervision of students. Given the situation is under review of the county attorney and given the serious nature of the allegations and given a student was injured, it is premature for the board to take action.

“In the interim, the board directs the superintendent to insure the safety of all students in our educational and extracurricular programs. The mission of the USD 383 Board of Education is creating a safe and positive learning environment.”

Wade followed.

“At this time Joe Schartz remains employed in his current capacities in the district,” he said.

If I'm in Coach Schartz's shoes, I probably don't feel really good about the comments from the Board of Ed guy.

"Hey, we're not going to decide anything tonight. But what allegedly happened is a crime and we're challenging the superintendent to make sure our kids are supervised and safe. Have a Merry Christmas Coach."

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #356 on: December 21, 2017, 12:36:52 PM »
Honestly it sounds like he should get canned.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: December 21, 2017, 12:50:21 PM »
If I were Schartz I’d resign then go to junction and kick Mhs ass every year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 21, 2017, 12:51:01 PM »
Especially since mhs just dominates jc nowadays

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: December 21, 2017, 12:55:32 PM »
If I were Schartz I’d resign then go to junction and kick Mhs ass every year

If Schartz were at JC he'd never kick MHS ass because the Silver Trophy is bigger than any one man, and.......
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: December 21, 2017, 12:55:58 PM »
who are we.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: December 21, 2017, 01:11:08 PM »
Hazing. (a) Hazing is recklessly coercing, demanding or encouraging another person to perform, as a condition of membership in a social or fraternal organization, any act which could reasonably be expected to result in great bodily harm, disfigurement or death or which is done in a manner whereby great bodily harm, disfigurement or death could be inflicted.

i don't think getting beat up on your bday is hazing, just battery.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 21, 2017, 01:29:22 PM »
I have coached against Schartz regularly and he is a very good coach. His teams are disciplined and play hard. From what I know, he seems like a good guy. This incident seems pretty unfortunate. I also know as a coach you can't know about this type of stuff and let it go on. Eventually the wrong kid will be involved and if something goes down it will fall on you. It sounds to me like the school board spent significant time talking to their lawyers and realized at this point they don't have a case for termination, but this is far from over. There is still stuff going down with the legal system and they will let that run its course. I feel bad for the guy because I think he does well for the kids and the town, but if the serious charges come through, the district and school board will have to have a fall guy.

I don't really think you can not know about this type of stuff and let it go on, either. Part of your job as a coach should be knowing that every single one of your football players is getting beat up on their birthday.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: December 21, 2017, 01:32:08 PM »
Hazing. (a) Hazing is recklessly coercing, demanding or encouraging another person to perform, as a condition of membership in a social or fraternal organization, any act which could reasonably be expected to result in great bodily harm, disfigurement or death or which is done in a manner whereby great bodily harm, disfigurement or death could be inflicted.

i don't think getting beat up on your bday is hazing, just battery.

https://www.littleapplepost.com/2017/12/20/police-complete-investigation-involving-manhattan-high-football-team/

Now that the police investigating is complete, the case will be submitted to the County Attorney’s Office for a determination on charges. In addition to the original battery offense, a supplemental report has been completed for endangering a child and contribute to a child’s misconduct. Police released no additional details.

The additional possible charges don't look good.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 21, 2017, 01:34:14 PM »

I don't really think you can not know about this type of stuff and let it go on, either. Part of your job as a coach should be knowing that every single one of your football players is getting beat up on their birthday.

Of course. I completely understand that; if you know about it and don't do anything, legally you are basically complicit to the act.

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #365 on: December 21, 2017, 01:52:18 PM »
I've known Schartz since we were kids.  I've got a laundry list of problems that I have with what goes on in this school district but Schartz isn't on it.

I think if he takes the fall for this then it's an absolute travesty.  This is battery and they should go after the kids that escalated this thing.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 21, 2017, 02:14:44 PM »
I've known Schartz since we were kids.  I've got a laundry list of problems that I have with what goes on in this school district but Schartz isn't on it.

I think if he takes the fall for this then it's an absolute travesty.  This is battery and they should go after the kids that escalated this thing.

THIS IS THE THREAD FOR THEM! :excited:

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 21, 2017, 02:41:19 PM »
JC people I talk to absolutely enjoying the hell out of the moral high ground.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 21, 2017, 03:55:41 PM »

yes it is, let's hear them!

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #369 on: December 21, 2017, 04:38:44 PM »

yes it is, let's hear them!

I still have 3 lil hF's to push through this district.  I probably shouldn't start airing my grievances just yet.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 21, 2017, 04:40:04 PM »
I'm in town for a couple of days. Parents definitely filled me in on the hazing/battery. Also say that some want a different mascot. A wolf or something to run on the field instead of an Indian.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 21, 2017, 04:47:04 PM »
Manhattan should change their mascot to the Townies.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 21, 2017, 04:48:22 PM »
This wolf or whatever would be a second mascot.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 21, 2017, 04:49:36 PM »
This wolf or whatever would be a second mascot.

He'd be the mascot's pet. It would actually be a small dog named Woof.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 21, 2017, 05:07:19 PM »
I'll wait until known MHS stud Dugout Dickstone weighs in but I still feel like this is way overblown.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best