Author Topic: Mike Gundy and other Comedians  (Read 18362 times)

Online Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Mike Gundy
« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2020, 10:34:11 AM »
I feel like you guys are arguing about something that the OSU players have said wasn't a thing. 

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2020, 10:56:50 AM »
They are because it is easier to dismiss the claims of these players as trivial. Same group of people insist that this is "just because of a t-shirt." Well meaning liberals are also guilty of diluting the message of the Oklahoma State players by calling everyone and everything racist, when this hasn't been the messaging from any of the players, at all.

There are people on this board who I like a lot, who if in the same place as Gundy would probably make the same mistakes he has made. That doesn't make them racist. I don't think Gundy is a racist, he's just a really poor listener who has a hard time relating to people who have cultural differences.

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2020, 11:03:24 AM »
I'm very happy LHC Bill Snyder isn't our coach in this environment rn.

I don't find that to be particularly fair. Do you not understand the nature of the complaints at Oklahoma State and Iowa? These athletes aren't complaining about their coaches being grumpy assholes. I'd be stunned if Snyder and his assistants were doing things like telling players they'll send them back to the ghetto. Honestly, I'd suspect crap like this from a Ron Prince staff more than Snyder or Klieman.
Eh the hair container things.  Roberson's scholly.  Bowl rings.  I'm sure there are others. 

25 seasons is a long time for skeletons to build up.  I've seen comment threads from quite a few disgruntled former players over the years that make me relieved that Snyder is out of the spotlight rn.  Maybe his record is clean, maybe not, but I'm happy we have a relative newcomer at the helm rn.

Bud, I'm aware of all of that stuff, it's common knowledge. The point is that stuff doesn't turn into a public program crisis led by current and former players, if the players feel like you value them as men. Players who have had issues with Snyder's methods will publicly and privately tell you that he cared about them. Corey Sutton is the only exception I can think of and when that did happen players immediately rushed to Snyder's defense, that didn't happen with Chris Doyle or Mike Gundy.

Grats on getting name checked on the game yesterday. When I think of you and John, different places in life isn't the first thing that comes to mind for me.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2020, 12:28:45 PM »
I'm good with calling Gundy a racist or calling him a rough ridin' stupid redneck who loves the crap out of being a rough ridin' stupid redneck. Either way.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2020, 12:43:52 PM »
They are because it is easier to dismiss the claims of these players as trivial. Same group of people insist that this is "just because of a t-shirt." Well meaning liberals are also guilty of diluting the message of the Oklahoma State players by calling everyone and everything racist, when this hasn't been the messaging from any of the players, at all.

There are people on this board who I like a lot, who if in the same place as Gundy would probably make the same mistakes he has made. That doesn't make them racist. I don't think Gundy is a racist, he's just a really poor listener who has a hard time relating to people who have cultural differences.

I think Mike Gundy is a racist with good intentions. I don't think that dilutes the concerns of the players.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2020, 12:53:58 PM »
I'm very happy LHC Bill Snyder isn't our coach in this environment rn.

I don't find that to be particularly fair. Do you not understand the nature of the complaints at Oklahoma State and Iowa? These athletes aren't complaining about their coaches being grumpy assholes. I'd be stunned if Snyder and his assistants were doing things like telling players they'll send them back to the ghetto. Honestly, I'd suspect crap like this from a Ron Prince staff more than Snyder or Klieman.
Eh the hair container things.  Roberson's scholly.  Bowl rings.  I'm sure there are others. 

25 seasons is a long time for skeletons to build up.  I've seen comment threads from quite a few disgruntled former players over the years that make me relieved that Snyder is out of the spotlight rn.  Maybe his record is clean, maybe not, but I'm happy we have a relative newcomer at the helm rn.

Bud, I'm aware of all of that stuff, it's common knowledge. The point is that stuff doesn't turn into a public program crisis led by current and former players, if the players feel like you value them as men. Players who have had issues with Snyder's methods will publicly and privately tell you that he cared about them. Corey Sutton is the only exception I can think of and when that did happen players immediately rushed to Snyder's defense, that didn't happen with Chris Doyle or Mike Gundy.

Grats on getting name checked on the game yesterday. When I think of you and John, different places in life isn't the first thing that comes to mind for me.
Thanks for the heads up re. the Game.  Just listened.  I thought Kurtz did a good job of explaining his point.  My main reason I tweeted at him yesterday is that I thought Oklahoma State's athletic department had a pretty tricky problem on its hands.  Plenty of people were calling for him to be fired.  Them putting out the awkward hostage-esque video (assuming its followed up with reasonable solutions to the grievances) seemed like a fair middle ground.  I'm not sure what you're talking about with your second sentence. 

Fair enough re. Snyder.  Maybe I'm being overly paranoid or misperceive how he's viewed by some of those he's wronged.  I'd certainly be surprised to learn he said the types of things Gundy and the Iowa guy are reported to have said. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2020, 01:48:59 PM »
FTR I have yet to see what the exact claims are, not anecdotal, not I know a guy . . . the exact claims.

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2020, 02:25:50 PM »
FTR I have yet to see what the exact claims are, not anecdotal, not I know a guy . . . the exact claims.

A very specific thing that was mentioned by a player was a coach telling another player he was going to get sent back to the ghetto. Chris Doyle was accused of saying the same thing. It's really a mumped up thing to say.

But the question I have is why do you have to know the specifics anyway? People who are the most vocal about this will minimize anything short of hearing a player claim someone said some combination of n-word and cotton. It happened with that gottlieb tweet. That apparently false narrative was met with a whole lot of "that's it!" and "that's not racist." There was no inquiry about why someone would view these things as harmful.

The players said there are and have been problems within the program, the coach acknowledged problems within the program, that should be it. Those players have no duty to try to sway any other opinions outside of Mike Gundy said Mike Holder.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2020, 02:59:07 PM »

A very specific thing that was mentioned by a player was a coach telling another player he was going to get sent back to the ghetto. Chris Doyle was accused of saying the same thing. It's really a mumped up thing to say.

But the question I have is why do you have to know the specifics anyway? People who are the most vocal about this will minimize anything short of hearing a player claim someone said some combination of n-word and cotton. It happened with that gottlieb tweet. That apparently false narrative was met with a whole lot of "that's it!" and "that's not racist." There was no inquiry about why someone would view these things as harmful.

The players said there are and have been problems within the program, the coach acknowledged problems within the program, that should be it. Those players have no duty to try to sway any other opinions outside of Mike Gundy said Mike Holder.

First of all, I simply said I hadn't seen the exact grievances, only hearsay, innuendo and anecdotes.

I also view Mike Gundy as pretty much willing to say whatever it takes, really can't stand the dude and I believe he runs a dirty/cheap shot program so I really don't pay that much attention to the guy or his bullshit redneck/mullet shtick.    That said, bad choice in T-Shirts but that alone isn't worth being fired over.    Mark Mangino got fired for saying nearly the exact same kind of stuff about sending guys back to the ghetto at KU.    The coach at OSU should be fired or at minimum suspended for a substantial period without pay for saying the same kinds of things.   

As far as Gundy goes, we'll see I guess. 

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2020, 03:05:51 PM »
i thought mangino got fired for locking a kid up in a shed

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2020, 03:10:40 PM »
That was Leach. Mangino made them do bear crawls on turf, during a 102 degree day. Some hands got burned.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2020, 03:15:06 PM »
I thought mangino got fired for going 1-7 in the big 12

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2020, 03:17:02 PM »
That was Leach. Mangino made them do bear crawls on turf, during a 102 degree day. Some hands got burned.

oh yeah.  :lol:

maybe it was grabbing face masks too many times?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2020, 03:22:22 PM »
Mangino also reportedly was chewing out a guy and said something along the lines of sending the guy back to the not so good living conditions from whence he came.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 03:34:28 PM by sonofdaxjones »

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2020, 03:22:40 PM »
Yeah, there was a list of stuff. It was great (minus the abuse).

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2020, 03:31:03 PM »
I didn't know this

Tory Bradley was a freshman running back at Kansas State in 1996 when Mangino was the running backs coach there. He told ESPN that he had a run-in with Mangino at the Cotton Bowl, where K-State was getting ready to play BYU.

Bradley said he fell asleep in a meeting and woke up on the floor. His teammates told him Mangino pushed him out of his chair. While he was down and attempting to get up, he says, Mangino "kicked me three or four times in my butt. When I got up he started shaking me real hard."

Bradley said his parents called Mangino and were considering filing a lawsuit when they learned about the incident. Bradley left Kansas State and said he was told by Mangino and head coach LHC Bill Snyder that if he kept it "hush-hush," they would give him an unconditional release so he could transfer to Missouri, which he did.

"Mark Mangino is the reason I left K-State," Bradley said.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/news/story?id=4669621

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 17, 2020, 03:38:44 PM »
Reading all of that just really pissed me off again. He use to talk crap to me as well, when I played baseball with his son in Lawrence Senior year. He's a rough ridin' POS goon.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2020, 03:41:03 PM »
Mangino was almost universally despised around Manhattan because he was not a good person.

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2020, 03:57:15 PM »
He came in the rec a few times a week when I worked there, he played racquetball with other coaches, and he was such a miserable dickhead. The football players who also worked at the rec talked cash crap about him.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 17, 2020, 05:27:07 PM »
Reading all of that just really pissed me off again. He use to talk crap to me as well, when I played baseball with his son in Lawrence Senior year. He's a rough ridin' POS goon.

So you were on the same team and Mangino talked crap on you, openly?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 17, 2020, 06:08:41 PM »
He sat behind home plate and heckled me if I was having a tough outing. His son was the catcher. He couldn’t have Tommy looking bad. He’d also come up to me on road trips and tell me what I was doing wrong and make snide comments to the parents on the side. I had a rough summer that year. I lost control of my fastball and realized my playing “career” was coming to an end, because I didn’t want to play JUCO or NAIA and he openly mocked me on restaurant outings with snide comments about my performances. I wanted to choke that fat eff out.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 06:12:00 PM by 420seriouscat69 »

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 17, 2020, 06:11:23 PM »
He also got kicked out of Lawrence High Football games for screaming at coaches from the side, while Tommy was playing Quarterback.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 17, 2020, 09:10:58 PM »
What a douche. 

I mean yeah, when a pitcher is struggling the first line of thought is always the catcher.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 17, 2020, 11:34:15 PM »
I’m not advocating for my shitty performance and feeling sorry for myself, I’m saying a grown ass fat eff man heckled me while I pitched as a 17/18 year old pitcher, with D1 scouts watching me that summer. I failed, obviously, didn’t understand my anxiety issues at the time and told schools no to more cortisone shots to party at K-State. All is well. He’s a fat eff pos and his family is too.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile