Author Topic: Census  (Read 10684 times)

Offline Jeffy

• Katpak'r
  • Hello Wilbur.
    • View Profile
Census
« on: February 24, 2010, 07:34:20 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsDhkPym01k

Your rights and responsibilities.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
Re: Census
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 09:32:14 PM »
are you this paranoid about every aspect of your life?  i bet you look over your shoulder a lot and stuff.   :ohno:

Offline Jeffy

• Katpak'r
  • Hello Wilbur.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 09:40:56 PM »
are you this paranoid about every aspect of your life?  i bet you look over your shoulder a lot and stuff.   :ohno:

Did you also believe that airport scanners would not be used to store "naked" pics?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 12:08:10 PM »

Did you also believe that airport scanners would not be used to store "naked" pics?

For someone was so convinced of the existential threat posed by terrorists that they had no problem with an invasion of Iraq, FISA getting ignored and an extensive kidnapp/torture regime, it seems like a minor violation of civil liberties at an airport and a Constitutionally mandated procedure of the state would be an pair of odd things to set you off.

I mean the founders loved the census so much they enumerated its specifics in the Constitution.  WWTFD?

Offline Jeffy

• Katpak'r
  • Hello Wilbur.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 02:55:18 PM »

For someone was so convinced of the existential threat posed by terrorists that they had no problem with an invasion of Iraq, FISA getting ignored and an extensive kidnapp/torture regime, it seems like a minor violation of civil liberties at an airport and a Constitutionally mandated procedure of the state would be an pair of odd things to set you off.

I mean the founders loved the census so much they enumerated its specifics in the Constitution.  WWTFD?

LP

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 03:16:29 PM »

LP

which part?  I'm banned from the other site, so I'm not dumpster diving.  And you should be able to track down a copy of the Constitution...

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 04:28:04 PM »
The founders specified a enumeration only.

The census today asks questions like "how many toilets do you have in your home?"  :flush:

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 04:35:50 PM »
It would be nice if people like this dude put their efforts into researching something that a lot people actually give a crap about. 

Offline Jeffy

• Katpak'r
  • Hello Wilbur.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 04:40:46 PM »
It would be nice if people like this dude put their efforts into researching something that a lot people actually give a crap about. 

Like the Constitution?  Or is that something you don't really give a flip about?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 04:47:55 PM »

Like the Constitution?  Or is that something you don't really give a flip about?

There are many aspects of the Constitution that people just don't care about.  And they shouldn't.  Although, I'm not sure what this guy is talking about is a Constitutional issue in the first place.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 06:47:06 PM »
Somehow, asking how many toilets you have is a violation of your rights.

:runaway:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 06:58:28 PM »
Somehow, asking how many toilets you have is a violation of your rights.

:runaway:

yeah. really rough ridin' weird huh. next thing you know, "they" are going to want to know how many bathtubs you have. i'd sooner shoot myself than divulge that.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 07:38:31 PM by Rick Daris »

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 07:27:38 PM »
What if someone didn't have a toilet?  I bet they would lie and say "two".

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 07:40:00 PM »
What if someone didn't have a toilet?  I bet they would lie and say "two".

true story...last time the census came around, i lied and said i had twenty four toilets in my house. did it for the poontang. wanted to impress. oh man. those were some crazy times. girls galore just lining up for daris cause they thought i owned a mansion.  :cheers:

Offline Jeffy

• Katpak'r
  • Hello Wilbur.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 08:54:13 PM »

There are many aspects of the Constitution that people just don't care about.  And they shouldn't.  Although, I'm not sure what this guy is talking about is a Constitutional issue in the first place.

You can't choose to ignore whatever parts of the Constitution fit your desires.  It's an all or nothing document.  If you feel it is outdated, then it is your responsibility as a citizen of the US to promote change.  Like it or not, it is the law of the land.  If you are going to ignore parts of it, then you may as well ignore all of it.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 09:12:00 PM »
You can't choose to ignore whatever parts of the Constitution fit your desires.

Yes, you can.  And everyone does.  Especially neocons.

Offline Jeffy

• Katpak'r
  • Hello Wilbur.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 09:16:07 PM »

:facepalm:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 09:19:46 PM »
is it just me...or does every single person who has an abnormal interest in the constitution and taxes also happen to be a slightly undereducated/racist lower to middle class white male ranging in age from 30-60 yrs old? also probably calls himself religous but knows nothing about religions.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 10:27:07 PM by Rick Daris »

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 10:23:44 PM »

:facepalm:

It's an all or nothing document.

Is this stated in the Constitution?  You can't choose to classify it as an "all or nothing document" in order to "fit your desires," right?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 10:34:56 PM »
is it just me...or does every single person who has an abnormal interest in the constitution and taxes also happen to be a slightly undereducated/racist lower to middle class white male ranging in age from 30-60 yrs old? also probably calls himself religous but knows nothing about the bible.

Are you suggesting that their beliefs are chosen in order to "fit their desires?"  That's crazy talk.

Since I'm sort of out of the loop on all of the conservative talk radio lingo, I had to look up, "all or nothing document."  Apparently, the Bible is another one.  Flood and all of that, huh?  Sounds like a bad approach to me.

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2010, 08:36:46 AM »
is it just me...or does every single person who has an abnormal interest in the constitution and taxes also happen to be a slightly undereducated/racist lower to middle class white male ranging in age from 30-60 yrs old? also probably calls himself religous but knows nothing about the bible.

Are you suggesting that their beliefs are chosen in order to "fit their desires?"  That's crazy talk.

Conservatives don't use the Constitution to fit their desires.  We take it for what is said explicitly.  It's called strict constructionism.  Whereas statists do whatever they want and construe through often twisted and convoluted means what they want.  For example the words "general welfare" somehow mean cutting a check to an individual.  The "right to privacy" as made up to make abortion legal is twisted out of 2 or three different amendments through some of the most twisted legal gymnastics in history.

Mock all you will, but that doesn't change the fact that the US Constitution is the single greatest document ever produced not name the Bible and, if followed carefully and not trashed, will allow for more freedom for mankind than has ever been seen.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2010, 08:47:24 AM »
Conservatives don't use the Constitution to fit their desires.  We take it for what is said explicitly.  It's called strict constructionism.

One's being a strict constructionist doesn't result from one's desire to be a strict constructionist?

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2010, 09:56:22 AM »
Conservatives don't use the Constitution to fit their desires.  We take it for what is said explicitly.  It's called strict constructionism.

One's being a strict constructionist doesn't result from one's desire to be a strict constructionist?

There's no desire.  Words mean things.  Don't twist mine.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2010, 10:07:30 AM »

There's no desire.  Words mean things.  Don't twist mine.

Why do you take it for what is said explicitly?  Ultimately, it's because of some desire to do so, naturally.  If you say that it is rational to do so, then it's because you have a desire to be rational.  There is desire.

Why are these skeptics of the government not also skeptics of the Constitution?  And it's not just that they're not skeptics of the Constitution.  It's that they think the Constitution is absolutely sacred.  Seems inconsistent to me.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2010, 10:28:18 AM »

Conservatives don't use the Constitution to fit their desires.  We take it for what is said explicitly.  It's called strict constructionism.  Whereas statists do whatever they want and construe through often twisted and convoluted means what they want.  For example the words "general welfare" somehow mean cutting a check to an individual.  The "right to privacy" as made up to make abortion legal is twisted out of 2 or three different amendments through some of the most twisted legal gymnastics in history.

Mock all you will, but that doesn't change the fact that the US Constitution is the single greatest document ever produced not name the Bible and, if followed carefully and not trashed, will allow for more freedom for mankind than has ever been seen.

If you believe in strict enumeration, then you would have to be Amish or off the grid (but NOT IN STATE PARKS!) because of the sick, depraved entanglements that pollute your precious Constitution.  Instead, you went to public schools, attended a federally funded land grant institution and now WORK FOR THE GOVERNMENT!  If you even half-heartedly believed the crap you throw out, or were prepared to even comprehend your own assumed political philosophy then you might be interesting to talk to, but instead you just spout off talking points that you don't even understand.