Author Topic: what on earth  (Read 5596 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
what on earth
« on: July 12, 2011, 01:58:02 PM »
http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_room/2011/07/11/energy_saving_light_bulb_debate

Why is the Tea Party suddenly obsessed with light bulbs?
Republicans in Congress are mounting a furious push to save the old incandescent bulb
AP

In 2007, little seemed problematic about the energy-efficient light bulb or the law signed by President George W. Bush, which called for the incandescent bulb to be phased out in favor its energy-saving counterpart. But that was before the rise of the Tea Party.

Suddenly, saving the old-fashioned 100-watt bulb -- which wastes most of the energy it consumes and costs households more in energy bills than the new model -- has become a matter of personal liberty. And so, House Republicans on Monday will seek to repeal the 2007  law, which calls for the phaseout to begin in January 2012.

The law has been dubbed "the light bulb ban" by activists on the right and has struck a Tea Party nerve. Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck and Michele Bachmann have all called it government intrusion par excellence. It essentially mandates that no new bulbs can go on the market after January '12 without meeting a new, higher standard of energy efficiency. Bulbs that don't meet the standard but that are already in stores won't be taken off shelves.

"It is one of those issues out there that just inflames people," Rep. Michael Burgess, R-Texas, co-sponsor of the bill that would reverse the phaseout, told Politico. "What in the world were you doing restricting the kinds of light bulbs in my home?"

Of course, you could also craft an argument that the law is fiscally conservative.  According to the Natural Resources Defense Council, "Analysis shows the standards [of the 2007 light bulb law] would save the country more than $12.5 billion annually when fully implemented in 2020."

Energy Secretary Steven Chu showed little sympathy for libertarian stalwarts, when in a press conference on the issue he bluntly said, "We are taking away a choice that continues to let people waste their own money."

And in an opinion piece for The Hill, Rep. Mike Doyle, D-Pa., put the bulb debate in much needed context: "We’ve got big fights ahead, with real disagreements that will require us to find some common ground -- like how to get our financial house in order, how to rebuild our crumbling infrastructure, and how to reform our education system. If Republicans and Democrats can’t come together on more efficient light bulbs, I have little hope of us tackling the bigger issues."

:dubious:

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
Re: what on earth
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 02:01:24 PM »
wgaf about light bulbs?  jfc, this is why our government is a bunch of retards. :shakesfist:

Offline Bookcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 02:01:29 PM »
I didn't know their log cabins were wired for new (to them) technology such as light bulbs. kudos

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 02:11:54 PM »
I don't care one way or the other about this bill. If a bunch of dumbasses want to spend more money on the crappy old light bulbs, they can go right ahead.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 04:47:55 PM »
This is what congress was debating while the mortgage crisis was about to explode: Forcing people to buy mercury filled light bulbs that become hazardous waste once they quit working. Go government!

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 04:52:34 PM »
A while back Beck encouraged everyone to start buying light bulbs in bulk, since phasing the old ones out would make the price of them go up.....or something.

Really don't care on this one either

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 05:14:47 PM »
This is what congress was debating while the mortgage crisis was about to explode: Forcing people to buy mercury filled light bulbs that become hazardous waste once they quit working. Go government!

:bawl:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 05:15:30 PM »
A while back Beck encouraged everyone to start buying light bulbs in bulk, since phasing the old ones out would make the price of them go up.....or something.

Really don't care on this one either

:facepalm: That must be why my aunt had a whole storage closet full of light bulbs. JFC.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 09:08:20 AM »
Retards.  All of them.  Gov should start Punch Your Rep Day and charge per punch.  Debt problem solved.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 01:21:08 PM »
The termostat in your house contains about 600 times the amount of mercury as a CFL. 

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 07:15:11 PM »

Why the eff is the government legislating what kind of light bulb you use anyways? 

Those CFL bulbs are awesome if you hate light.  I spent $12 on a 3-pack of those rough ridin' things for my living room and can't see crap anymore.  All because some dumbass told me they'd pay for themselves by the end of the year in "energy savings".  That person forget to mention I was getting 1/4 the light.

:flush: :flush: :flush: :flush: :flush:
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 08:49:32 AM »
Don't worry, they'll catch on in five years or so after the rest of the country has left them in the dust.  Right now they're trying to keep our energy policy from moving forward.  Same thing happened with gay marriage and legalizing marijuana.  We just have to keep dragging them along, like a dingle berry, until they finally shut up and find something else to bitch about.   

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 09:29:42 AM »

Why the eff is the government legislating what kind of light bulb you use anyways? 

Those CFL bulbs are awesome if you hate light.  I spent $12 on a 3-pack of those rough ridin' things for my living room and can't see crap anymore.  All because some dumbass told me they'd pay for themselves by the end of the year in "energy savings".  That person forget to mention I was getting 1/4 the light.

WTF are you talking about.  You get quite a bit more light for the same wattage.  Did you read the package? 

If you are a real light fan, you can buy the bulbs that are supposed to be equivalent to 100W incandescent and they will work in your 60W incandescent fixtures since they will use less than the 60W.  boom, more light for less money.

Offline Bookcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 12:29:35 PM »
note to self: FakeSuredick doesn't know how to work a lightbulb.  :emawkid:

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 09:13:58 PM »

WTF are you talking about.  You get quite a bit more light for the same wattage.  Did you read the package? 

If you are a real light fan, you can buy the bulbs that are supposed to be equivalent to 100W incandescent and they will work in your 60W incandescent fixtures since they will use less than the 60W.  boom, more light for less money.

There's an entire episode of "Archer" dedicated to my sarcastic post.  Those things rough ridin' suck and they take like 15 minutes to warm up.  I don't give a crap what the package says, I have eyes.  Do you need the coors light can to tell you your beer is cold???  Or can you just use your hands???
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 09:27:50 PM »

There's an entire episode of "Archer" dedicated to my sarcastic post.  Those things rough ridin' suck and they take like 15 minutes to warm up.  I don't give a crap what the package says, I have eyes.  Do you need the coors light can to tell you your beer is cold???  Or can you just use your hands???

Your eyes only read half a post.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2011, 10:54:16 PM »
Arguing for old, inefficient light bulbs is like arguing for black and white television over the modern HDTV's. 

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 10:58:26 PM »
Most CFL bulbs don't work with dimmer switches, so you would have to pay even more to get one that does.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 10:59:58 PM »
Arguing for old, inefficient light bulbs is like arguing for black and white television over the modern HDTV's. 

It's also like arguing for tons of other older stuff over newer, better stuff.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2011, 11:02:13 PM »
Don't the new ones last a lot longer?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2011, 11:02:56 PM »

Yes. They are superior in every way. Hemmy does have a point about them not being good on dimmer switches, though.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2011, 09:22:02 AM »

Yes. They are superior in every way. Hemmy does have a point about them not being good on dimmer switches, though.

Yes, hemmy occasionally likes a romantic atmosphere created by his dimmer switch. I mean, who can blame him?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2011, 10:09:12 AM »
Most CFL bulbs don't work with dimmer switches, so you would have to pay even more to get one that does.

Yes, many types of light require a high level of energy to arc through the enclosed gas(what creates the light) and they require a constant level of energy to maintain the arc.  lower the energy and the balast can't keep the arc and the light goes out.  This is the same reason the light takes a little while to turn on, the balast has to gain enough energy to arc.

Incandescence will always have a use in our world, however, most locations in a house/building/etc that only need a light on or off with no in between.  So, other than Hemmy's ambiance-filled love cave, the CFL will work in most every room in your house.

CFL's put off much less heat too.  Big plus for the bathroom mirror if you have a lot of light in your bathroom.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2011, 01:45:41 PM »
The termostat in your house contains about 600 times the amount of mercury as a CFL. 

Maybe, but we're not throwing 600 million of thermostats in landfills each year. Also, electronic thermostats don't use the mercury switches like the old school dial type.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2011, 02:12:23 PM »

Maybe, but we're not throwing 600 million of thermostats in landfills each year. Also, electronic thermostats don't use the mercury switches like the old school dial type.

You don't get to talk environmental policy when you and the rest of the right wing are in favor of abolishing organizations like the EPA.