Author Topic: Fishing. It's great. any other goEMAW anglers out there?  (Read 189215 times)

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Fishing. It's great. any other goEMAW anglers out there?
« Reply #1525 on: April 04, 2023, 09:05:20 AM »
Marlin
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: April 04, 2023, 09:24:55 AM »
It’s pretty easy to clean a fish. I can do it, and I have the hand eye coordination of a small child.  Unless you catch a Northern, because they have these weird bones.  Just throw those rascals back.  Lots of YouTube’s these days.  I use an electric filet knife, and that helps a bunch.

Cooking over a fire is best done one or two ways. First with a skillet (and a crap load of unhealthy lard and/or butter with batter), or second with a fish basket. The fish basket approach is more like grilling. My dad cooks fish like a hot dog on a fire and pokes it with a stick and just dangles it out there. Make sure the wood is a hardwood and not pine or cedar or other evergreen or your fish will taste like Skoal winter green mixed with ashes.

What's the best fish to catch, cook over an open fire, and then eat? I'm going to be in Montana/Wyoming this summer, maybe I'l try it up there!

When filleting fish never touch the skin with the fillet, unless youlike the taste of fish oil.  :lick: :barf:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: April 04, 2023, 09:45:38 AM »
It’s pretty easy to clean a fish. I can do it, and I have the hand eye coordination of a small child.  Unless you catch a Northern, because they have these weird bones.  Just throw those rascals back.  Lots of YouTube’s these days.  I use an electric filet knife, and that helps a bunch.

Cooking over a fire is best done one or two ways. First with a skillet (and a crap load of unhealthy lard and/or butter with batter), or second with a fish basket. The fish basket approach is more like grilling. My dad cooks fish like a hot dog on a fire and pokes it with a stick and just dangles it out there. Make sure the wood is a hardwood and not pine or cedar or other evergreen or your fish will taste like Skoal winter green mixed with ashes.
When I was a kid, I would filet those bass / bluegill and mom would batter the filets with cornmeal and fry them. I can still taste those crispy little fishes.

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: April 04, 2023, 10:03:58 AM »

What's the best fish to catch, cook over an open fire, and then eat? I'm going to be in Montana/Wyoming this summer, maybe I'l try it up there!
I would guess trout

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: April 04, 2023, 10:12:25 AM »

I would guess trout

oh hell yeah, I forgot about trout.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: April 04, 2023, 11:03:52 AM »

I would guess trout

oh hell yeah, I forgot about trout.
My hoopty setup was 2 cinder blocks and a grill grate.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: April 04, 2023, 11:06:01 AM »
Mmm, delicious

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: April 04, 2023, 11:32:21 AM »
That is amazing. I want to do that. I must do that.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: April 04, 2023, 12:13:17 PM »
Yeah, that looks like a great day.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: April 04, 2023, 12:15:23 PM »
My outdoor setup is a propane tank and a turkey frier base.  Then I just put the skillet or smaller pot of oil on the turkey frier.  Keeps the house from getting all smelly from fish.

Offline BW

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: April 04, 2023, 03:47:18 PM »
Take a trout, gut it, fill gut pouch with butter and lemon, wrap in foil, throw on coals, enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: April 04, 2023, 04:04:10 PM »
I plan on doing this in September on the ww 2023 vision quest
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: April 04, 2023, 05:05:49 PM »
Take a trout, gut it, fill gut pouch with butter and lemon, wrap in foil, throw on coals, enjoy.

This is the way. Also, throw some herbs in there, if any are available in your environs.

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: April 04, 2023, 08:17:25 PM »

This is the way. Also, throw some herbs in there, if any are available in your environs.
Dill weed works super well for this method

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: April 04, 2023, 10:27:23 PM »

Tell me more about this method. Do you keep the head on and everything? How long does it take to cook (ish)? When its done do you filet it afterwards or do you eat the skin with the meat?

I've always filleted the trout like in my pics, cooked them over the fire, scraped off the flaky meat then fed the skins that were charred on the outside to my mutts.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: April 04, 2023, 11:06:02 PM »

Tell me more about this method. Do you keep the head on and everything? How long does it take to cook (ish)? When its done do you filet it afterwards or do you eat the skin with the meat?

I've always filleted the trout like in my pics, cooked them over the fire, scraped off the flaky meat then fed the skins that were charred on the outside to my mutts.
You eat that skin buddy

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: April 04, 2023, 11:53:57 PM »
yeah what on earth

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: April 05, 2023, 09:53:51 AM »
Fishing guys. Lil SF loves to fish and I hate it for the most part. We go a couple times a year and its fine. Usually Grandpa takes care of everything so I don't have to do too much gross stuff. Anywho, what's the proper way to murderkill a fish? Lil SF loves to eat his catch which I can appreciate. Poor Grandpa used to murder tiny blue gill all the time to make him happy. So, what's the play with limited tools for say a catfish? Grandpa does a great job and he knows i'm not rough ridin' doing it, but I can tell he is a bit uncomfortable sometimes with his murdering techniques.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: April 05, 2023, 09:58:11 AM »
Fishing guys. Lil SF loves to fish and I hate it for the most part. We go a couple times a year and its fine. Usually Grandpa takes care of everything so I don't have to do too much gross stuff. Anywho, what's the proper way to murderkill a fish? Lil SF loves to eat his catch which I can appreciate. Poor Grandpa used to murder tiny blue gill all the time to make him happy. So, what's the play with limited tools for say a catfish? Grandpa does a great job and he knows i'm not rough ridin' doing it, but I can tell he is a bit uncomfortable sometimes with his murdering techniques.
How little?  I’d buy frozen fish filets and fry those up and lie to the kid and say it’s the fish he caught.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: April 05, 2023, 10:47:24 AM »
How little?  I’d buy frozen fish filets and fry those up and lie to the kid and say it’s the fish he caught.

He's over the eat everything no matter the size phase. I'm talking a reasonable sized catfish.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: April 05, 2023, 11:16:07 AM »

Equipment-wise, you need a sharp filet knife, a pair of pliers, a flat surface and a bucket of clean water. There are a few ways to do it. I'd just watch some YouTube videos and decide on whatever seems easiest to you. I'd make Lil SF help hold down the fish while you work. It's like they say: If you clean a fish for a kid, he's going to want you to do it every time he catches a fish. If you make the kid help you clean the fish, he'll never ask you to do that again and probably won't even want to fish anymore.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: April 05, 2023, 02:48:53 PM »
Electric knife makes quick work

Online passranch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: April 05, 2023, 02:58:49 PM »
Opening weekend at the farm pond.

LOL at Tater lickin' his chops here.   :lick:

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: April 05, 2023, 03:30:08 PM »
Straight Bass Homie
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best