Author Topic: F1 fans? (elite Motorsport thread)  (Read 5799 times)

Offline bradleigh

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
F1 fans? (elite Motorsport thread)
« on: May 18, 2010, 11:31:24 PM »
Wondering if there are any EMAWs like me that live the lonely life of an american F1 fan.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
2/8/11 - Never Forget

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: F1 fans? (elite Motorsport thread)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 12:00:01 AM »
I tried. I really did. Open wheel racing is just not fun at all to me. Sorry.

Offline DILLIGAF

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 10:47:58 AM »
I only DVR the practice sessions, the qualifying, and the races, outside of that not much of a fan.    :grin:   Loves me some F1 bro, have followed it since the early 70's, religiously.   So, how 'bout them Red Bulls.   shazbot! Schumacher, you retired dipcrap, quit acting like an American sports figure and stay retired dammit.  Who ya got taking the crown? 

Offline bradleigh

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 12:55:52 PM »
I only DVR the practice sessions, the qualifying, and the races, outside of that not much of a fan.    :grin:   Loves me some F1 bro, have followed it since the early 70's, religiously.   So, how 'bout them Red Bulls.   shazbot! Schumacher, you retired dipcrap, quit acting like an American sports figure and stay retired dammit.  Who ya got taking the crown? 

That's the schedule on my DVR as well.  I love getting up on Saturday and Sunday morning and having some coffee and breakfast and watching the qualifying and race before my wife wakes up.  I'm only in the infancy of my F1 fanship as this is only my third season of really following it closely.  But I've tried to consume all the F1 I can in that short time period.  I think I'm going to try to get some of those season recap DVDs and catch up on some of the history.

The first race I ever watched was the US grand prix in '07.  Vettel filled in for Kubica at BMW, and scored a point in that race, and ever since then I've pulled for him.  So I'm hoping he can take the championship this year.  I know Webber has killed it the last 2 races, but I'm not buying any talk about him surpassing Vettel as the #1 driver at Red Bull.  If not for some unlucky issues in the first two races, Vettel would have quite a lead right now.

So far this has been a great season.  It's great having great drivers at great teams all in competitive cars.  And those damp conditions make for some exciting racing.   If Schumacher was up there fighting for wins it would be even better.  Who do you think wins it?
2/8/11 - Never Forget

Offline DILLIGAF

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 02:28:41 PM »
Yeah, doesn't make much sense IMHO to entertain Webber as #1 given the age discrepancy, I'd have all my money down on Vettel if for no other reason than to make sure you keep him in your stable.  I like Vettel, he seems to have a about as even a keel approach as one can have, humble, and his talent is unquestionable.  

I haven't taken the time to figure out the new point system for drivers, so really have no idea at this point who's in and who's out.   It appears there are a few teams capable still of making tweeks to the cars which might change the dynamics of their cars capabilities enough to catapult any number of teams ahead, so I can't make a sound call on who wins it.   Which is really nice compared to all the years when it was down to Ferrari and one other team after race one.  Still, Red Bull IMO did the best at dealing with the change that eliminated fueling during the race so I'd have to go with Vettel as well.  

I guess I don't really have a favorite driver from the current crop.   Pulled for Hamilton his rookie year, mostly because he was a fresh face and the first of his persuasion to break into the sport.   Was a Nikki Lauda fan, and then Alain Probst after, but that was more due to my appreciating McLaren in those days.   I'd grown up watching and following oscar McLaren and had parlayed that over to the team he built later.  

I was introduced to road racing back in the late 60's at Lake Afton just outside wichita where they held SCCA races one weekend a year, if you like racing I'd recommend checking in your area for any SCCA clubs and racing.   Today the number of cars is way down, just too expensive a hobby for most but it's still has some good numbers in some classes and good racing.  
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 02:35:21 PM by DILLIGAF »

Offline bradleigh

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 09:03:28 AM »
*Spoiler Alert*

What a race today!  It was great seeing a battle at the front for almost the entire race.  Webber could've given Vettel a little more room, but it sure looked like Seb turned in to him.  It'll be interesting to see those two interact for the rest of the season.

What are the chances that the USGP actually happens in Austin as planned? I'm saying 70%.
2/8/11 - Never Forget

Offline DILLIGAF

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 02:47:40 PM »
*Spoiler Alert*

What a race today!  It was great seeing a battle at the front for almost the entire race.  Webber could've given Vettel a little more room, but it sure looked like Seb turned in to him.  It'll be interesting to see those two interact for the rest of the season.

What are the chances that the USGP actually happens in Austin as planned? I'm saying 70%.

Cannot believe Vettel did that, wth was he thinking??  Sure, Webber could have moved over, but I sure wouldn't have given him any more room to try and get by me either.  It's not like he moved over to reduce the opening, he just held his line and I'm surprised he even let Seb have that much to work with.   Seb is now behind what, four or five guys in points and took the team out of first in the constructors championship.   I'm betting he got an ear full from somebody.   This is going to get good watching those two.   

Who knows on Austin but I sure hope they get a damn race here not named Indy. 

Offline TBL

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 04:53:16 PM »

The only REAL open wheel racing.

Offline DILLIGAF

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 07:16:19 PM »

Had a good friend who drove and funded a team racing shifter carts, those little frackers can really get with it.   That was in Oregon, do they even have any venue(s) in KS? 

Offline TBL

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 09:50:49 PM »

Had a good friend who drove and funded a team racing shifter carts, those little frackers can really get with it.   That was in Oregon, do they even have any venue(s) in KS? 

They do in Garnett. The North Lake has a straight-a-way a little under a mile long. Let's the shifters get above 120. I think Lake Afton, around Wichita has a road race, too.

Offline bradleigh

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 10:47:10 PM »

They do in Garnett. The North Lake has a straight-a-way a little under a mile long. Let's the shifters get above 120. I think Lake Afton, around Wichita has a road race, too.

Do you race 'em TBL?  I'm wanting to get into it.
2/8/11 - Never Forget

Offline TBL

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 08:26:17 PM »

No, but my brother-in-law did, and my wife raced sprint races. BTW, Garnett's Enduro (road race) is this weekend (Sat and Sun). As for you getting into it, I hope you have a lot of money. It's a very expensive hobby. When my brother-in-law was into it hard and heavy, 30 yrs ago, they were spending about $10k per summer. I'm sure it's a crap load more now.

Offline bradleigh

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2010, 12:58:05 PM »

No, but my brother-in-law did, and my wife raced sprint races. BTW, Garnett's Enduro (road race) is this weekend (Sat and Sun). As for you getting into it, I hope you have a lot of money. It's a very expensive hobby. When my brother-in-law was into it hard and heavy, 30 yrs ago, they were spending about $10k per summer. I'm sure it's a crap load more now.

I was basically expecting the cost of entry to be about that much.  But I figured the annual costs would be less than that.  I guess it depends on how much you upgrade your cart from season to season.  I'm at least gonna give it a go for a while.  That track in garnett looks pretty cool.  I'll have to try to go out there for a race some time.  I'm going to try to go to some races this summer because I have little to no idea where to start in this endeavor.
2/8/11 - Never Forget

Offline DILLIGAF

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 12:21:48 PM »
Can't believe that Vettell has been such a fool behind the wheel so far.  WTF Seb?   Webber has to be biting his tongue constantly.   He has single-handedly put Red Bull behind the eight ball, when they should easily have the driver and constructor lead.   It appears that Ferrari is now caught up and will steal points away from Red Bull that were all available earlier.  McLaren is sitting atop the standings without hardly doing anything to deserve the lead.  This is going to be a good tough run to the end. 

Offline bradleigh

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 07:14:08 AM »
Can't believe that Vettell has been such a fool behind the wheel so far.  WTF Seb?   Webber has to be biting his tongue constantly.   He has single-handedly put Red Bull behind the eight ball, when they should easily have the driver and constructor lead.   It appears that Ferrari is now caught up and will steal points away from Red Bull that were all available earlier.  McLaren is sitting atop the standings without hardly doing anything to deserve the lead.  This is going to be a good tough run to the end. 

Yeah. For me it's interesting to see the dichotomy between Red Bull and McLaren.  It's obvious McLaren has "been there before" and are just handling their business, while Red Bull don't know quite what to do with the best car on the grid.  I was so excited when Vettel got poll last week, but you're right, he keeps blowing these starts.  I wonder what would have happened if he'd stayed on his line at the start last week instead of trying to muscle Alonso out of the way.

I'm hoping the Ferrari's pace is here to stay.  It makes for great entertainment having Alonso at the front in a Ferrari.  So far this has been an amazing season.  The best I've seen since I've been watching.  I don't know how it stacks up to some of the seasons of old, but here's hoping the championship stays close to the very end.
2/8/11 - Never Forget

Offline DILLIGAF

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2010, 11:26:17 AM »

Yeah. For me it's interesting to see the dichotomy between Red Bull and McLaren.  It's obvious McLaren has "been there before" and are just handling their business, while Red Bull don't know quite what to do with the best car on the grid.  I was so excited when Vettel got poll last week, but you're right, he keeps blowing these starts.  I wonder what would have happened if he'd stayed on his line at the start last week instead of trying to muscle Alonso out of the way.

I'm hoping the Ferrari's pace is here to stay.  It makes for great entertainment having Alonso at the front in a Ferrari.  So far this has been an amazing season.  The best I've seen since I've been watching.  I don't know how it stacks up to some of the seasons of old, but here's hoping the championship stays close to the very end.

Have to admit, I'm loosing affection for Seb and have switched to full on Webber supporter for the title.  He's proving his ability to drive and keep his wits about him, while Seb is appearing to dig for ways to shazbot! up himself, his teammate, and team.   I'll wipe the slate clean next year but I'm no longer able to look the other way this season.   

I'm with you on Ferrari getting up to speed, now with RBull, and McL if we could get Williams or any of the other teams to catch up it would make for some unreal racing the likes F1 hasn't had in decades. 

That tire bouncing down through the pits was crazy, couldn't believe nobody got hurt.   

Offline bradleigh

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2010, 12:10:44 PM »
That was a championship drive from Webber.  Wow.  He seems so much more focused that Vettel this season.  I'm still pulling for my boy, but I'm just getting a strong sense after that race that it's Webber's year.

Doubt we'll get a fourth team to truly be in the mix.  Renault seems to be in the best position to get there.  But if I could choose another team to get up there it'd be Mercedes.  Not a Schumacher fan per se, but it'd be fun to have him at the front.

His BS move was the only thing more dangerous than that wheel bouncing around the pits.
2/8/11 - Never Forget

Offline DILLIGAF

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2010, 02:18:51 PM »
That was a championship drive from Webber.  Wow.  He seems so much more focused that Vettel this season.  I'm still pulling for my boy, but I'm just getting a strong sense after that race that it's Webber's year.

Doubt we'll get a fourth team to truly be in the mix.  Renault seems to be in the best position to get there.  But if I could choose another team to get up there it'd be Mercedes.  Not a Schumacher fan per se, but it'd be fun to have him at the front.

His BS move was the only thing more dangerous than that wheel bouncing around the pits.

I think Webbers getting good adrenaline from all the Seb talk and from being somewhat outed as the second driver after the nosecone switching, just seems to really get him focused and full of fight.   Couldn't believe he turned that car into a winner this week, how the heck he held those soft tires together for that long is beyond me.   

Never been a Schumacher fan myself, while he did his job, he also had the best car on the track all those years IMHO.  Great driver no doubt, but I think he's had just as good on the track with him too.   That move was bush-league as hell, and wasn't it on Barracello (sp?)?  Doesn't matter, when you're that far back you don't pull that crap, not that he should at any time.   

I'm hoping the governing body can implement some restrictions (maybe they already have?) that will allow other teams to be able to compete, while still keeping the integrity of F1 as the epitome of what an automobile is capable of doing.   As to a 4th team entering the mix you are probably right, if I had my druthers I'd love to see a team like Lotus get in there, if nothing more than I love British (Leyland) Racing green.   :grin:

So what, we've now 3 weeks off with nothing I think?  You never know, maybe one of those "others" will have some luck with adjustments during the down time. 

Offline bradleigh

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2010, 03:30:31 PM »
Vettel has definitely pulled himself back into this thing.  Comparing the body language between Webber on the 2nd place step this week, and Vettel on the 2nd place step last week it's interesting to see how much more confidence Vettel carries.  Maybe that's because the team is fully backing him, but I think it's more down to the fact that Vettel is truly faster.  I think it's pretty apparent that Webber will need Vettel to make mistakes if he hopes to hold off his teammate.

Now if Vettel could just learn to drive through traffic like Kobayashi did today...
2/8/11 - Never Forget

Offline DILLIGAF

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2010, 04:56:59 PM »
Vettel has definitely pulled himself back into this thing.  Comparing the body language between Webber on the 2nd place step this week, and Vettel on the 2nd place step last week it's interesting to see how much more confidence Vettel carries.  Maybe that's because the team is fully backing him, but I think it's more down to the fact that Vettel is truly faster.  I think it's pretty apparent that Webber will need Vettel to make mistakes if he hopes to hold off his teammate.

Now if Vettel could just learn to drive through traffic like Kobayashi did today...

Not sure I believe Seb is a faster driver, part of being valid when fast is not making mistakes.   Nor am I sure were they in equal cars he'd be faster, more willing to take chances obviously but faster, not so fast my friend.   :)    Didn't get to do anything more than scan the race on the DVR so don't have anything I can add, though I did back up to see what happened with Kobayashi, how the heck did he not get punted there?   Fairly tight race still I'd suppose, kind of lost track of points so not sure. 

Offline bradleigh

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2010, 11:32:50 PM »
Maybe faster isn't the right word.  I think, judging by his body language, that he believes he can out qualify Webber for the rest of the season.  And I agree with him.

Of course because of his inconsistency this season he's left himself no margin for error.  So if there's rain, bad tarmac, or anything else that comes up, who knows what will happen.  I do think if he could somehow win 2 out of the next 3 and win the championship, it would be an elite performance.
2/8/11 - Never Forget

Offline bradleigh

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2011, 11:41:12 PM »
Bump.  Vettel made his first mistake of the season.  I told my wife this weekend.  I've got a full on man crush for the guy.

:love:
2/8/11 - Never Forget