Author Topic: taking your vehicle in to get oil changed  (Read 7754 times)

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: taking your vehicle in to get oil changed
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2015, 11:28:05 AM »
When I bought my car I got the maintenance package thing so I have already pre-paid for all my oil changes and whatever else the manufacturer recommends. I probably got screwed on price compared to taking it somewhere else and/or not doing everythign they recommend but it is a lot less stressful when I go to get my oil changed they just do everything that is due at that mileage and I don't pay anything.

Plus I get free tires for life if I get my maintenance done there so I was going to have to take it to the dealership for that anyway.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2015, 11:30:14 AM »
My father in law usually changes mine.  It's a little emasculating just handing him tools and watching but it's better than sitting at the mechanic.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2015, 11:37:15 AM »
Changing oil should go in the scams thread
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2015, 11:37:26 AM »
my AC is blowing hot too.  Need to take it and I'm terrified!

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2015, 11:37:54 AM »
I actually like going to the valvoline, they have good coffee and a slushy machine.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2015, 11:39:08 AM »
I actually like going to the valvoline, they have good coffee and a slushy machine.

That's what I usually do as well, but the $15.99 oil change coupon was too good to pass up.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2015, 11:54:23 AM »
I tried changing my oil once. After buying the new oil and filter it was a whopping $2-3 cheaper than if I had used a coupon. Plus getting under the car and mess... Not worth it.

I typically use the <$20 oil change coupons, but I kinda know I'm going to get what I pay for and the shop is running that special as a loss leader to sell me other stuff. And I can't find any coupons that include oil and tire rotation any more. I'm just too cheap to shell out $40 to go to a reputable mechanic I can trust.

I agree that Jiffy Lube is THE WORST at trying to up-sell you stuff. The guys who are surprisingly good are Wal-Mart - they accept all competitor coupons and they just don't seem to care about selling you other stuff. Plus, it's Wal-Mart, so there's a pretty good chance they'll treat you right if they mess something up.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2015, 11:56:15 AM »
I tried changing my oil once. After buying the new oil and filter it was a whopping $2-3 cheaper than if I had used a coupon. Plus getting under the car and mess... Not worth it.

I typically use the <$20 oil change coupons, but I kinda know I'm going to get what I pay for and the shop is running that special as a loss leader to sell me other stuff. And I can't find any coupons that include oil and tire rotation any more. I'm just too cheap to shell out $40 to go to a reputable mechanic I can trust.

I agree that Jiffy Lube is THE WORST at trying to up-sell you stuff. The guys who are surprisingly good are Wal-Mart - they accept all competitor coupons and they just don't seem to care about selling you other stuff. Plus, it's Wal-Mart, so there's a pretty good chance they'll treat you right if they mess something up.

There is also a pretty good chance that they will mess something up.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2015, 12:04:03 PM »
Really tells you a lot about ksuw
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2015, 12:04:53 PM »

Yeah, they forgot to put my oil cap back on once, so most of the oil spewed out when I drove it from Manhattan to Lawrence right after that. My engine almost seized up, BUT they did pay for everything to be fixed. So, you're both right.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2015, 12:39:12 PM »
the jeep dealership I go to charges, like, nothing to do it. ~$20 I think. plus they don't try to eff me on other stuff because I'm constantly asking them if my tires are still good and other stuff and they're like, "yeah, you're fine. you don't need that" which seems like a shitty business model but seems like hitting the lottery for someone who knows dick about automobiles. meanwhile, mrs. dave's honda dealer is always scamming her into buying something random with each oil change. like, how many rough ridin' filters does a honda have? over a million?

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2015, 01:09:57 PM »
Really tells you a lot about ksuw

It kinda does, doesn't it?
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2015, 01:15:16 PM »
the jeep dealership I go to charges, like, nothing to do it. ~$20 I think. plus they don't try to eff me on other stuff because I'm constantly asking them if my tires are still good and other stuff and they're like, "yeah, you're fine. you don't need that" which seems like a shitty business model but seems like hitting the lottery for someone who knows dick about automobiles. meanwhile, mrs. dave's honda dealer is always scamming her into buying something random with each oil change. like, how many rough ridin' filters does a honda have? over a million?

Honda dealerships are the worst.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2015, 02:04:59 PM »
my oil changes cost a fortune, i had no idea a car engine could take 10 liters of oil

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2015, 03:01:12 PM »

Yes, almost no training, and if any, it's very little and poorly done.  I never go there because I hate having to watch what they are doing so the don't "eff it up.".
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2015, 03:07:48 PM »
My wife takes her Tundra in to the dealer and they charge her $65.00 for an oil change.  The worst part in where she takes it in for routine maintenance and they charge her anywhere from $400 to $600 bucks for it.  But it makes her happy that the "experts" are doing it.
I take my Ram in for oil changes or warranty work.  The most I pay is usually less than $30 bills. 

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2015, 03:09:05 PM »
I got free ones for the life of my truck from the dealer.  The dealer is like 30 min from my home, though.  The first time, I took it to a local guy and he ended up charging $70.  The truck takes something like 7 quarts and it includes a second or third step to fill it all the way that most vehicles don't.  I used to just have the local guy do my old changes because I would rather drop $24 than drive 30 min one way and wait.  I do that now, though.  I don't know where my limit is, but it is somewhere between $24 and $70.  Also, I get it done during working hours, so that probably helps.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2015, 03:09:34 PM »
my oil changes cost a fortune, i had no idea a car engine could take 10 liters of oil
That's more than 10 quarts.  WTF do you drive?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2015, 03:25:28 PM »
oh i meant quarts  :cool:

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2015, 03:41:23 PM »
maybe you meant quatz

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2015, 03:42:52 PM »
when I used to work in North KC, i'd take my truck to Simoniz.  I loved that place.  You show up they change the oil while you sit inside and wait, then they include a carwash with it.  I could leave work at 10:00 in the morning, get the oil changed, truck washed, and be back in my office by 10:30.  It was the best.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2015, 03:54:00 PM »
The Quick Lane at Mel Hambelton in Wichita is about the cheapest place I have found.  It's something like $45 to have them service my truck (includes tire rotation) and then a week or two later I get a $10 Visa card in the mail to buy booze with.  I call that a win-win.
@mikec2w

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2015, 03:55:55 PM »
The Quick Lane at Mel Hambelton in Wichita is about the cheapest place I have found.  It's something like $45 to have them service my truck (includes tire rotation) and then a week or two later I get a $10 Visa card in the mail to buy booze with.  I call that a win-win.

And you can eat some popcorn and cookies while you are there.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2015, 03:59:25 PM »
That doesn't sound very heart healthy.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2015, 04:00:24 PM »
That doesn't sound very heart healthy.

Well no one is forcing you to eat the popcorn and cookies.