Author Topic: taking your vehicle in to get oil changed  (Read 7756 times)

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
Re: taking your vehicle in to get oil changed
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2011, 12:57:23 PM »
Free oil changes for life of my vehicle.  :gocho:

Spoke with friends about this a few weeks back.  Will work on getting that rolled into my next vehicle purchase.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2011, 12:59:05 PM »
Loved how Jiffy Lube would have some dumbass mechanic, who can't even manage to brush his hair, show you some chart on his computer that illustrates why you need a new flux capacitor, fuel modulator, accelerator coolant, etc in addition to an oil change.

They are the Boiler Room of dumbass bad hair mechanic places.

I just go to the dealer or Wal-Mart.  I never have any of the problems with add-on sales that I had with Jiffy Lube.  I hate that place.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2011, 01:10:13 PM »
Free oil changes for life of my vehicle.  :gocho:

Spoke with friends about this a few weeks back.  Will work on getting that rolled into my next vehicle purchase.

Yeah, I am winning like crazy on this one.  I put around 2k-2.2k miles per month on my truck and because of Nissan's crazy method of putting together a large truck engine, it is evidently a huge pain in the ass to change a Titan's oil and cost me around $70 the one time I didn't take advantage of the free change. 

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2011, 02:18:47 PM »
Loved how Jiffy Lube would have some dumbass mechanic, who can't even manage to brush his hair, show you some chart on his computer that illustrates why you need a new flux capacitor, fuel modulator, accelerator coolant, etc in addition to an oil change.

I just go to the dealer or Wal-Mart.  I never have any of the problems with add-on sales that I had with Jiffy Lube.  I hate that place.

I would stay away from wally world, but that's just me. I've seen some dumbasses who work on cars there, not good. Of course there are dumbasses everywhere, but i think there is a higher concentration at that place.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2011, 02:26:19 PM »
Anyone else remember a lube place called Grease Monkey?  That name alone :love:
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2011, 02:33:48 PM »
Anyone else remember a lube place called Grease Monkey?  That name alone :love:

Used to be a regular there. Well, not so much myself, since I was about 4, but I'd go with my dad.

I'd have supported it if it was still around when I turned 16.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2011, 02:50:34 PM »
Grease Monkey is still there in Topeka (21st and Wanamaker) but it is now named Lube Stop.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2011, 03:05:30 PM »

I would stay away from wally world, but that's just me. I've seen some dumbasses who work on cars there, not good. Of course there are dumbasses everywhere, but i think there is a higher concentration at that place.
Yeah, the last time I got my oil changed at the Wal, I got into my car and there was grease all over my arm rest, then I popped the hood and the oil cap was just sitting on top of the engine.

I made them pay to have my car detailed, and ever since then I've changed my own oil.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2011, 04:55:12 PM »
Fact: cheap oil is just as good as expensive oil.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2011, 10:52:34 AM »
people saying your car needs oil is a myth.   cars don't need oil.  the oil companies came up with the myth to sell oil.  there is no natural use for oil in the world, so they came up with the myth.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2011, 11:17:58 AM »
Grease Monkey is still there in Topeka (21st and Wanamaker) but it is now named Lube Stop.

Still a Grease Monkey in OP on Metcalf. It's in my rotation.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2011, 12:52:19 PM »
True story, when I bought my last 6 series I cranked open the hood and spent like a good half an hour fishing around for the damn dip stick.  Couldn't find the damn thing, looked all through the manual.  Finally had my wife bring me the phone and called up Baron and the guy is like "Sir, there isn't a dip stick.  Your oil gauge is an displayed on the computer screen on the dash".

Felt like a total dumbass!  But then I laughed it off and was like "Germans. What will they think of next!"

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline Pendergast

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2011, 07:23:21 PM »
Fact: cheap oil is just as good as expensive oil.

For killing things or burning things?  Yeah sure.  Not so much for your car.  Will it ever really matter to the average owner?  Probably not.

Also, find the dude on your street that has a bunch of car parts and crap in his garage, will probably change your oil and various other crap for free or a few beers.  Usually says he "enjoys" fixing crap.  Won't up-sell you on anything, 'cept for maybe asking you to watch some Nascar or something.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2015, 11:02:30 AM »
Took my car into the shop with a coupon for an oil change the other day. Should have known there was a reason that the price was so low. Asked them if they could take a look at the AC for me, it was blowing hot air out of the vents. They told me that the AC just needed recharged, they did the dye test and there were no leaks at all. Cost me about $180. Two days later the car is blowing warm air again, take it into the shop so that they can take a look at it, obviously has a leak. I'm hoping at this point that they'll do the diagnostic and recharge for free, don't mind paying for them to fix the leak. Well, they do the dye test again, and it is VERY obvious where the leak is. Since my AC has been like this for the better part of a year, obviously the leak has been there the whole time and they didn't do the dye test the first time, even though they said they did and charged me for it. While they are replacing a six inch hose and fitting (which somehow costs $300), they end up accidentally breaking off a valve on another line that connects to the AC. The mechanic who was working on it starts to tell me how it happened, then the floor manager runs up and starts talking about how they don't know what happened, but it was surely broken before I got there. So, they got me for another $350 for something that they broke on my vehicle. Called the regional manager the same day and told him about my experience, he said he'd look into it and give me a call back. Obviously that didn't happen. I rough ridin' hate mechanics.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2015, 11:04:02 AM »
Took my car into the shop with a coupon for an oil change the other day. Should have known there was a reason that the price was so low. Asked them if they could take a look at the AC for me, it was blowing hot air out of the vents. They told me that the AC just needed recharged, they did the dye test and there were no leaks at all. Cost me about $180. Two days later the car is blowing warm air again, take it into the shop so that they can take a look at it, obviously has a leak. I'm hoping at this point that they'll do the diagnostic and recharge for free, don't mind paying for them to fix the leak. Well, they do the dye test again, and it is VERY obvious where the leak is. Since my AC has been like this for the better part of a year, obviously the leak has been there the whole time and they didn't do the dye test the first time, even though they said they did and charged me for it. While they are replacing a six inch hose and fitting (which somehow costs $300), they end up accidentally breaking off a valve on another line that connects to the AC. The mechanic who was working on it starts to tell me how it happened, then the floor manager runs up and starts talking about how they don't know what happened, but it was surely broken before I got there. So, they got me for another $350 for something that they broke on my vehicle. Called the regional manager the same day and told him about my experience, he said he'd look into it and give me a call back. Obviously that didn't happen. I rough ridin' hate mechanics.

expose them. where is this place?

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2015, 11:05:47 AM »
It's on Wornall, Calvert's Express.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2015, 11:11:37 AM »
It's on Wornall, Calvert's Express.

you never should have paid to fix damage they caused in the first place.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2015, 11:12:57 AM »
I mean, when the guy running the shop decides to eff you, there's not much you can do. The wife and I only have one car. They weren't going to give it back to me unless I paid them what they charged me.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2015, 11:19:31 AM »
call 913-631-9995 and ask to speak to Lisa Calvert and ask her what your next steps need to be, prior to heading to small claims

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2015, 11:20:08 AM »
if she's not available, ask to speak w/ the KC supervisor

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2015, 11:20:55 AM »
I've spoken with him, he said he'd look into it and call me back. He didn't. I called again today requesting that he do so.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2015, 11:21:18 AM »
I'm getting my oil changed right now! :-0

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2015, 11:21:37 AM »
true story about Calvert's express: one time i needed an oil change and was driving on Wornall and saw Calvert's and decided to give it a try. i pulled into the parking lot and looked at the cars that were being worked on and then said (out loud) "nope" and pulled out of the parking lot. haven't been back since. basically my instinct is top shelf. thanks for confirming, ksusamplemouse

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2015, 11:22:35 AM »
true story about Calvert's express: one time i needed an oil change and was driving on Wornall and saw Calvert's and decided to give it a try. i pulled into the parking lot and looked at the cars that were being worked on and then said (out loud) "nope" and pulled out of the parking lot. haven't been back since. basically my instinct is top shelf. thanks for confirming, ksusamplemouse

I'm happy to help  :thumbsup:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2015, 11:22:41 AM »
I go to the dealer I bought my vehicle from