Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1356468 times)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #2600 on: October 04, 2013, 05:42:33 PM »
dude, the plane deicers at the really cold airports look like fun. You're in a climate-controlled robotic pod and you get to shoot a gun all day.

Can't comment on the video because work blocks youtube, but our robotic pod must've been in the shop or something

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #2601 on: October 04, 2013, 05:50:36 PM »
dude, the plane deicers at the really cold airports look like fun. You're in a climate-controlled robotic pod and you get to shoot a gun all day.

Can't comment on the video because work blocks youtube, but our robotic pod must've been in the shop or something
You know what I think?  Chi cat never deiced any planes anywhere.  That's what I think.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: October 04, 2013, 05:55:54 PM »

You know what I think?  Chi cat never deiced any planes anywhere.  That's what I think.

:surprised:

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: October 04, 2013, 06:12:17 PM »
20 minute delay already. . .

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #2604 on: October 04, 2013, 08:39:31 PM »

Not at DEN at the Southwest terminal. Dude was hanging in a cherry picker. No good.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 12:37:36 PM by IPA4Me »

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: October 05, 2013, 12:33:37 PM »
Alright.  Predicament.  Need to find a bar or something to watch the K-State game near the galleria in Dallas.  I know I can count on EMAW to help out.

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: October 06, 2013, 04:44:09 AM »
Alright.  Predicament.  Need to find a bar or something to watch the K-State game near the galleria in Dallas.  I know I can count on EMAW to help out.

There are a bunch of bars about 1.5 miles north on belt line west of the tollway

Hope that helps lmbo

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: October 06, 2013, 04:50:26 AM »
A little preview of my Portugal report that I will be publishing here on the gE travel guide in a week

Mods I am gonna need you to send me another advance because I have 2 more full days here, I'm burning through euros at an unbelievable clip and this kind of content is priceless

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: October 06, 2013, 10:38:48 AM »
Making the rounds in Denver area this week. Any must eat joints in Denver? I need a good spot for tomorrow (Tuesday). I'm planning on lunch in Breckenridge on Wednesday. Eating in Buena Vista on Thursday. Not boozing hard this trip as I'm doing a lot of early morning hiking. Maybe a couple of pints at Breck Brew.

Blue Sushi
Hmm. Hadn't considered sushi there. I love sushi. I'd been searching for tex-mex and steak. Thanks.

I've never been there fwiw. It's owned by Omaha people and this is their first place outside of Omaha. The Blue Sushi in Omaha is great though.

they have blue sushi in ft worth.  very good.
emaw

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: October 06, 2013, 10:46:14 AM »
been pretty jealous of a.tramp's trip from watching his updates
emaw

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2610 on: October 06, 2013, 03:41:45 PM »

Thanks, although my intent was not to make peeps jealous but to sort of invite you along for the ride

If it came across as being my life is so much better than yours series of posts, my bad because let me assure you that my life sucks as much as the next guy's, I just happen to have finally taken a decent vacation for once in my life

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: October 06, 2013, 04:11:43 PM »
i'm really looking forward to a. supertramp's portugal breakdown.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: October 06, 2013, 06:45:36 PM »

Thanks, although my intent was not to make peeps jealous but to sort of invite you along for the ride

If it came across as being my life is so much better than yours series of posts, my bad because let me assure you that my life sucks as much as the next guy's, I just happen to have finally taken a decent vacation for once in my life

I'm more jealous in a, oh man, I need to go there someday, kind of way, so don't worry.

I've enjoyed all of your updates in the goat 12 and the snapchats. way more interesting than our football team for example. I bet that sporting Lisbon game was amazeballs.
emaw

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: October 07, 2013, 12:33:52 AM »
Alex let me tell you, mocat has a decent amount of Portuguese heritage (Azores as far as I know) but I would love to hear more about the old country besides how port was invented

Offline Catchacold

• Combo-Fan
  • Z28gY2F0cy4=
    • View Profile
    • wildcatgrowl.com
« Reply #2614 on: October 07, 2013, 07:16:01 PM »
So I have to go though security again to get from LAX termy 4 to 7?

:shakesfist:

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: October 09, 2013, 09:34:47 PM »
Portugal trip, travel day and day 1

Left last Tuesday from Dallas @ 6pm, made it to Madrid around 11am, 4 hour layover and then Lisbon by 4:30pm. Took a cab to Cascais and made it to our villa around 6:00pm. Owner of the property was busy 'til 7 so we tossed our luggage behind some bushes and took a little walk. We stumbled upon a cafe (which you can find about 3 per city block) but this one was by far our favorite due to proximity, friendliness and quality. We had a quiche and a cafe duplo (double expresso) and i hit this spot at least twice a day as cafe was only 0,60 Euro or about 80 cents. All the cafes had pastries, fried meat pies (pork, beef, or seafood), and breads with cured meats. A good portion of them sold fresh food as well.

1st full day, jumped on the bikes that our villa provided and had 2 locations in mind and a rough direction to head. My word it was all downhill and very steep. Made it to the seawalk, for lack of better word, and headed for the Boca do Inferno. This is a place where the strong tides and currents have bore through the rock wall along the coast and created the "mouth of hell." Pretty cool to watch the waves hit these rocks and sent spray 40' in the air.

from there, we continued on until we arrived into the shopping/historical district of Cascais which centerpiece is an old citadel converted into a highly upscale hotel and boutique. Come to find out, Cascais is a favorite retreat for most of Europe's rich and elite. Anyways, found my 1st taste of the high quality of Portuguese seafood at Esplanada Sta Maria, which is across an inlet from Casa de Sta Marta, a historic site of sorts although we toured it and it boored. Boiled shrimp, goat cheese, fresh grilled halibut (hhhhhnnnnngggghhhh) & sangria

went into the shopping district, found a cool wine shop that I would return to on our last day in Cascais to buy for bottles of Tawny Port to take back through customs, window shopped and then headed for the tourism center and bought our bus, train & subway passes for the rest of the stay. At about 5, we headed back for our villa, uphill after a liter of sangria and a belly full of food, ass was kicked by the time we made it back.

Rode past a place that looked good for dinner, saw the sign that said it didn't open until 7:30 so that gave us time to refresh and relax. Went to dinner, had a little bit of a language issue. Waiter assured us he understood everything we were saying. We ordered the shrimp and rice. Big mistake. When we had asked if the garlic shrimp were served with anything he told us rice so that is what we thought we were ordering. So he brought us our moscatel (similar to a port) and our shrimp, it was delicious. We ate every last bite and were stuffed. We set our plates aside and he quickly took them away. Then he set fresh plates and silverware down and my wife and i look at each other like wtf. And he brought us the rice. It was a soupy rice with chuncks of fish and shrimp. So i guess we ordered 3 or four dishes because the rice is only served for 2. And then we had the 2 shrimp dishes. Needless to say we could not eat it all and had it boxed but it was so freaking good as well.

okay, so by this time i know a couple of things

-1 kilometer from the Estoril Coast has a lot of hills in it
-Portuguese have the seafood thing down to a science
-for such small streets, the drivers are the most courteous I've encountered, especially when dealing with pedestrians and bikers
-Portuguese are overly friendly people, not just the ones you are buying stuff from
-ice is not really a thing here, unless it is in a pitcher of sangria

will try to post another couple days worth tomorrow

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: October 09, 2013, 11:20:16 PM »
Did they play "Modern Jesus"? Really digging that tune right now.
:adios:

The Big Train

« Reply #2617 on: October 09, 2013, 11:52:21 PM »
Before gE was born, I had a trip to Spain and Italy, I have full descriptons in my head but limited pics.  Love the coverage and wish I would have done more documentation of everyday things.  Please continue coverage.  :thumbs:

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: October 09, 2013, 11:55:49 PM »
Did they play "Modern Jesus"? Really digging that tune right now.

:thumbs:

Offline reidrolled

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: October 10, 2013, 12:07:26 AM »
I'm this sure has already been covered. what regulations are there on taking the 1.5 oz shooters onto airplanes in carry-ons. i take quite a few trips from DIA to KC and would like to get crap housed in that 1.5 hour time frame on as cheap of a dime as possible..... also, does anyone have ideas when it comes to weed? or is the edibles strategy still #1?

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #2620 on: October 10, 2013, 05:29:50 AM »
Cool Portugal report.

I stood on a library roof overlooking Lake Erie yesterday. :D :lame:

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: October 10, 2013, 06:56:03 AM »
I'm this sure has already been covered. what regulations are there on taking the 1.5 oz shooters onto airplanes in carry-ons. i take quite a few trips from DIA to KC and would like to get crap housed in that 1.5 hour time frame on as cheap of a dime as possible..... also, does anyone have ideas when it comes to weed? or is the edibles strategy still #1?

If you buy them outside the airport and put them in your carry-on, the answer is 3.  3 bottles, Iin a see through 1 qt bag.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/3-1-1-carry-ons

If you buy the little bottles in the duty free shops in between the screening and boarding gates, I saw a guy who believed the answer was as many will fit in your bag as he threw about 20 of them in there.  I don't know if that is legal but it is doable although not a cheap alternative

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: October 10, 2013, 07:22:13 AM »

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: October 10, 2013, 07:46:33 AM »

If you buy them outside the airport and put them in your carry-on, the answer is 3.  3 bottles, Iin a see through 1 qt bag.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/3-1-1-carry-ons

If you buy the little bottles in the duty free shops in between the screening and boarding gates, I saw a guy who believed the answer was as many will fit in your bag as he threw about 20 of them in there.  I don't know if that is legal but it is doable although not a cheap alternative

If for some reason 3 is not enough I would assume you could get 6 by if you just put each bag in different container.  1 tub for your shoes/phone/wallet and baggie #1 and the next tub after your bag with your jacket and baggie #2.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: October 10, 2013, 08:07:41 AM »
well, T-Mobile has jumped onto my radar for the first time ever  :Wha:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57606784-94/t-mobile-to-offer-free-unlimited-international-data-texts/

bro do you even catherine zeta oh nvm you're right