Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1356956 times)

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #1975 on: June 11, 2013, 03:26:59 PM »
9 hour major airport layovers are pretty fantastic when not hungover though

will be hungover, but will probably just continue to binge.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: June 11, 2013, 09:51:19 PM »
going to san diego in november.  who has a good hotel recommendo for ol gfa.  have about 40k spg points fwiw but am trying to save some for a night at the st regis princeville on my honeymoon next year.

will also accept: restaurant and sightseeing recommendos.  will just be me and the lady and will need things to do in between lovemaking.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 09:54:20 PM by GoodForAnother »
emaw

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: June 11, 2013, 10:11:15 PM »
Pacbeach
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: June 12, 2013, 12:24:52 PM »
going to san diego in november.  who has a good hotel recommendo for ol gfa.  have about 40k spg points fwiw but am trying to save some for a night at the st regis princeville on my honeymoon next year.

will also accept: restaurant and sightseeing recommendos.  will just be me and the lady and will need things to do in between lovemaking.

yeah, pacbeach is a good call. rent bikes there and just cruise up and down. I would stay in la jolla if I were you unless something is going on in the gaslamp then stay there. have stayed at the Hilton gaslamp and it was great.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: June 12, 2013, 12:27:27 PM »
i stayed at a hostel in the gaslamp.  had tons of fun there as a poor.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1980 on: June 12, 2013, 12:29:00 PM »
I would love to rent one of those houses on pacbeach if I was travelling with my entire family and just party and grill on the porch on the beach and watch people roller skate around and surf and play volleyball and junk

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: June 12, 2013, 02:03:33 PM »

yeah, pacbeach is a good call. rent bikes there and just cruise up and down. I would stay in la jolla if I were you unless something is going on in the gaslamp then stay there. have stayed at the Hilton gaslamp and it was great.

was looking at this place last night -- http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1959

seemed like a good value at $129.  don't really want to drop a ton of money on just a random two night trip.  only lower priced option downtown is what appears to be a shitty four points for $99.  didn't see much in the way of cash + points.  the US Grant looks amazing but way too much money/points. :(  would love to stay in the gaslamp but $300 a night is a bit much.
emaw

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: June 12, 2013, 02:05:14 PM »
I think rick daris has stayed at that Sheraton. You should get his report.

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: June 12, 2013, 02:05:51 PM »
HEY RICK GIVE ME YOUR REPORT
emaw

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: June 12, 2013, 02:21:00 PM »

yeah i have stayed there. five nights or so a few years ago. location is good (right of interstate but you wouldn't know it when you are staying there). property is pretty darn nice and big (trees/landscaping). big courtyard with nice pool and hottub area. i'd stay there again. it's fifteen minutes north or so of san diego though and not on a beach or anything. the university in la jolla is pretty great to drive/walk through and there is a trader joes two blocks away. a couple of restaurants even closer.

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: June 12, 2013, 02:34:58 PM »

yeah i have stayed there. five nights or so a few years ago. location is good (right of interstate but you wouldn't know it when you are staying there). property is pretty darn nice and big (trees/landscaping). big courtyard with nice pool and hottub area. i'd stay there again. it's fifteen minutes north or so of san diego though and not on a beach or anything. the university in la jolla is pretty great to drive/walk through and there is a trader joes two blocks away. a couple of restaurants even closer.

we'll probably only go down to gaslamp area one night and do more of the beach/zoo/etc stuff (although it'll probably too cold for a beach), so probably best to just stay up that way.  maybe I'll do a gaslamp hotel one night and la jolla the second night.  I mean the world is my oyster here.  I appreciate the review and the protip on t-joes.
emaw

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: June 19, 2013, 12:49:41 PM »
probably already been discussed but chicago pro tips for dlew, ronpricesgoatee, doom_catz and myself? going for fourth of july.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: June 19, 2013, 12:51:03 PM »
probably already been discussed but chicago pro tips for dlew, ronpricesgoatee, doom_catz and myself? going for fourth of july.

archy boat tour

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: June 19, 2013, 01:07:41 PM »
DO NOT bring your girlfriend, unless you are secretly hoping she breaks up with you so you can go back after the girl you let get away.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: June 19, 2013, 01:40:45 PM »
DO NOT bring your girlfriend, unless you are secretly hoping she breaks up with you so you can go back after the girl you let get away.

this seems like good advice for any person, all the time, 24/7

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: June 19, 2013, 01:42:11 PM »

Oh man, you guys are going to have an awesome time!  I lived in Chicago (suburb of anyway) for nine years and my wife and I went there every summer before having kids.

You'll want to watch the fireworks at the Navy Pier.  It's absolutely the place to be.  Bars, beer vendors, lots and lots of people. 

Places to eat:  Popular pizza places are Lou Malnati's, Geno's East, Giordano's all for deep dish and for thin my favorite place is Aurelio's.  For a chicago style hot dog, try Hot Dougs or Portillos.  For Italian Beef sandwich, either Al's Beef or Mr. Beef.

For fine dining, ask Clams, he's probably heard of some places.  We were poor when we used to go visit so never went anywhere really nice.

As far as places to stay, anywhere in the Loop is good. 

Bars: Clubbing really isn't my thing anymore but if you're visiting Chicago you have to go to a place called The Castle, formerly known as Excalibur.  It has multiple bars each with it's own theme in this giant building downtown.  Also for a fantastic outdoor pak'n experience there is the ROOF on theWit.  7000 square foot rooftop bar.  FYI, drinks are very expensive, like New York expensive so pre-party as necessary.

Whoever said don't bring a girlfriend was right.  If you play your cards right, it shouldn't be too hard to find a different girlfriend each night. 

@lopakman

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: June 19, 2013, 01:44:44 PM »
Also, if you want some culture, there's the Museum of Science and History, the Adler Planetarium, the Shedd Aquarium, the Art Institute of Chicago among others to visit.

@lopakman

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: June 19, 2013, 01:46:00 PM »
Wrigleyville, how the eff did I forget about this?  If the Cubs are in town, go to Wrigleyville and hang out.  It's a giant multi block party.  You can pay to party on the roof of some the buildings near by and you can actually see the game from the roofs.  Okay I'm done for now.
@lopakman

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: June 19, 2013, 01:48:35 PM »
Also for a fantastic outdoor pak'n experience there is the ROOF on theWit.

can confirm. also can confirm theWit is a great place to stay.

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: June 19, 2013, 01:54:38 PM »
Wrigleyville, how the eff did I forget about this?  If the Cubs are in town, go to Wrigleyville and hang out.  It's a giant multi block party.  You can pay to party on the roof of some the buildings near by and you can actually see the game from the roofs.  Okay I'm done for now.

Cats games at Murphys Bleachers Bar is a lot of fun. They fly an emaw flag out front during the fall
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 02:05:24 PM by EllRobersonisInnocent »

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1995 on: June 19, 2013, 01:59:52 PM »
if you think you would like second city then you will. i've enjoyed it every time i've been.

you should eat at the purple pig or at avec/any other restaurant in the avec "family"

archy boat tour good

navy pier lamesville

the local downtown chicago townies/hipsters/cool people all go to pequods for their deep dish. not ginos/giordanos/etc.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: June 19, 2013, 04:02:15 PM »
They named my territory today at work. Looks like I'll be spending most my time in Canada, Michigan, and New Jersey. Do you need a passport for NJ?

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: June 19, 2013, 04:03:34 PM »
They named my territory today at work. Looks like I'll be spending most my time in Canada, Michigan, and New Jersey. Do you need a passport for NJ?

Only if you venture into the Newark region.
@lopakman

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
travel thread
« Reply #1998 on: June 19, 2013, 04:16:07 PM »
I love flying into Newark

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
travel thread
« Reply #1999 on: June 19, 2013, 04:16:58 PM »
WC, those are actually pretty great and diverse territories. Is it the entirety of Canada?