Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1356578 times)

Institutional Control and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #1575 on: April 01, 2013, 10:42:29 AM »
Trying to get to Denver this Friday and fly back Sunday.

Flights are $430 round trip right now, they'll go down as the date gets closer, right? I mean $430 is ridiculous just to get to Denver.

where are you flying out of? MCI? also, for a flight this sunday there is very little chance the prices go down.

Yeah, MCI. I'd pay $300 round trip but its like $215 both ways right now.

don't suppose you have any frontier miles. they have 20k RT availability.

Your 5 year old has more miles than me. I have a SW card on its way, though, so I have a RR account.

Welp sounds like I'm not going to Denver.

actually, I know a guy that can probably get you on frontier for $300 if you want. let me know.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: April 01, 2013, 10:49:03 AM »
Trying to get to Denver this Friday and fly back Sunday.

Flights are $430 round trip right now, they'll go down as the date gets closer, right? I mean $430 is ridiculous just to get to Denver.

where are you flying out of? MCI? also, for a flight this sunday there is very little chance the prices go down.

Yeah, MCI. I'd pay $300 round trip but its like $215 both ways right now.

don't suppose you have any frontier miles. they have 20k RT availability.

Your 5 year old has more miles than me. I have a SW card on its way, though, so I have a RR account.

Welp sounds like I'm not going to Denver.

actually, I know a guy that can probably get you on frontier for $300 if you want. let me know.

:D Will let you know later this week
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: April 01, 2013, 10:51:03 AM »
well you waited until less than a week out to look for a flight. there isn't a lot of time to mess around making a decision here. also, there has to still be award availability for this deal to work. so, basically, the longer you wait to make up your mind the less likely it can be done (and for future reference the less likely you are to find a good deal on a flight).

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: April 01, 2013, 10:53:55 AM »
well you waited until less than a week out to look for a flight. there isn't a lot of time to mess around making a decision here. also, there has to still be award availability for this deal to work. so, basically, the longer you wait to make up your mind the less likely it can be done.

Alright. PM me, lets do this.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: April 01, 2013, 11:01:10 AM »
well you waited until less than a week out to look for a flight. there isn't a lot of time to mess around making a decision here. also, there has to still be award availability for this deal to work. so, basically, the longer you wait to make up your mind the less likely it can be done.

Alright. PM me, lets do this.

sent

Offline LilSmokyMcIntyre

• Fan
  • The (wo)man the myth the legend
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/#!/HotDogsKC
« Reply #1580 on: April 01, 2013, 12:27:50 PM »
do go to austria

One time I was taking a train from Venice to Munich and, as you could imagine, dozed off on the ride. Woke up to 2 heavily armed police guys demanding my passport and the passport of a nice Egyptian woman who was about 8 months 30 days pregnant. Of course I relinquished my passport and upon approval returned it to me soon thereafter. However the woman did not have hers. So they threw this woman off the train. Apparently we had crossed into Austria.  Seemed like a quaint country tho.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: April 01, 2013, 12:35:14 PM »
Did i tell you guys that British Airways gave me a 800 dollar cash card for overbooking my flight from Heathrow to DFW (as a connection to Champaign), but I ended up getting on a flight 3 hours later to O'hare and had to spend the night at the O'Hare hilton (free of charge with meals paid for) and ended up getting home only about 12 hours later than I otherwise would have?

What a deal. 
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 12:45:59 PM by Dlew12 »

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: April 01, 2013, 12:43:36 PM »
That's pretty great DLew

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: April 01, 2013, 12:51:31 PM »
Did i tell you guys that British Airways gave me a 800 dollar cash card for overbooking my flight from Heathrow to DFW (as a connection to Champaign), but I ended up getting on a flight 3 hours later to O'hare and had to spend the night at the O'Hare hilton (free of charge with meals paid for) and ended up getting home only about 12 hours later than I otherwise would have?

What a deal. 

fantastic! One time I gave up my seat on an overbooked DTW-ORD flight. I was booked for a flight two hours later but on standby for one an hour later.  I went over to the next flight's gate at the last minute to see if I would get on and noticed lots of folks from my original flight around. It had gotten cancelled, and they were all trying to get on standby on my new flight, but I had priority since I had volunteered. Ended up w/ $250 voucher plus I got home a couple hours earlier than I otherwise would have.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: April 01, 2013, 12:55:50 PM »
do go to austria

One time I was taking a train from Venice to Munich and, as you could imagine, dozed off on the ride. Woke up to 2 heavily armed police guys demanding my passport and the passport of a nice Egyptian woman who was about 8 months 30 days pregnant. Of course I relinquished my passport and upon approval returned it to me soon thereafter. However the woman did not have hers. So they threw this woman off the train. Apparently we had crossed into Austria.  Seemed like a quaint country tho.

this reminds me of the time i was on the high speed train traveling from madrid to seville (first class, of course).  well, of course it was a couple days before easter holiday and the only people in first class were my traveling party and one college aged dude.  we leave the station.  the car attendant lady, smokin.  she's offering newspapers/magazines, drinks.  just then, this train policeman comes into the car.  he speaks with the chick attendant.  he leaves.  about 5 minutes later, he comes back and asks the college kid for his ticket.  my spanish is very limited but they got into an argument.  the kid had snuck onto the train and into first class, hoping to boost to seville for free.  i'm assuming he wanted to enjoy the semana santa activities in seville and maybe grab some fantastic chistoras from egana oriza, but who knows.  train cop argues with the kid and then finally the kid gets up and they moved him to the back car where he had to sit with the cop.  i think they made him get off at the next stop. 

we probably need a Fantastic European Train Story Master Thread

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: April 01, 2013, 01:06:03 PM »
 :D Welp, got a flight to Denver for the weekend. If you ever see me start a thread about how my identity got stolen remind me that I gave some information to steve dave  :sdeek:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: April 01, 2013, 01:07:27 PM »
One time I was on the Eurostar London->Paris and right before we got to the chunnel it slowed way down and stopped and they said we were delayed because another train or something caught fire in the chunnel and they had to get it out of there or something. got to Paris about an hour late and got a full refund for the train ride. I like hanging out in the booze car and just boozing it up.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: April 01, 2013, 01:08:54 PM »
:D Welp, got a flight to Denver for the weekend. If you ever see me start a thread about how my identity got stolen remind me that I gave some information to steve dave  :sdeek:

Thank you for using Steve Dave Travel Services. Your home for amazing travel stuff free of charge and also where I spot you the booking fee because I'm a boss.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: April 01, 2013, 01:35:45 PM »

Thank you for using Steve Dave Travel Services. Your home for amazing travel stuff free of charge and also where I spot you the booking fee because I'm a boss.

Would happily refer anyone to SDTS  :grin:

Online Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: April 01, 2013, 02:09:17 PM »

Would happily refer anyone to SDTS  :grin:

Not me. One time I booked a flight to Detroit and fell right into this floppy pussy.

Offline LilSmokyMcIntyre

• Fan
  • The (wo)man the myth the legend
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/#!/HotDogsKC
« Reply #1590 on: April 01, 2013, 03:14:07 PM »
do go to austria

this reminds me of the time i was on the high speed train traveling from madrid to seville (first class, of course).  well, of course it was a couple days before easter holiday and the only people in first class were my traveling party and one college aged dude.  we leave the station.  the car attendant lady, smokin.  she's offering newspapers/magazines, drinks.  just then, this train policeman comes into the car.  he speaks with the chick attendant.  he leaves.  about 5 minutes later, he comes back and asks the college kid for his ticket.  my spanish is very limited but they got into an argument.  the kid had snuck onto the train and into first class, hoping to boost to seville for free.  i'm assuming he wanted to enjoy the semana santa activities in seville and maybe grab some fantastic chistoras from egana oriza, but who knows.  train cop argues with the kid and then finally the kid gets up and they moved him to the back car where he had to sit with the cop.  i think they made him get off at the next stop. 

we probably need a Fantastic European Train Story Master Thread

Oh man. That Madrid high speed train is a doozy. Went from Madrid to Barcelona damn near the speed of a jet. Saw beautiful countryside and delicious drinks. Plus it was empty so my filly and I had a relaxing travel. I second a euro train thread. If you like Egyptian woman tossed on her ass story. You'll love stinky euro trash to Venice story. It ended with a sleeper car to Paris story. Not sexual.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: April 01, 2013, 03:34:33 PM »
let's go!

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Willesgirl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: April 01, 2013, 03:52:09 PM »
Just wanted to second, third and fourth the people who love Austria. It's lovely, and I really liked the people.

Offline EuroCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: April 01, 2013, 04:58:07 PM »
One time I was on the Eurostar London->Paris and right before we got to the chunnel it slowed way down and stopped and they said we were delayed because another train or something caught fire in the chunnel and they had to get it out of there or something. got to Paris about an hour late and got a full refund for the train ride. I like hanging out in the booze car and just boozing it up.
Had this happen before.

Just got back from a weekend in Dublin/Belfast. Pretty amazing. The black cab tour in Dublin that goes around to all the political murals/"peace wall" is great. The driver stops at a bunch of locations and explains the history of the troubles. Ended up buying a book about the troubles "The dirty war" and started reading on the ferry back.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: April 01, 2013, 05:46:26 PM »
Ha!  April fools!

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: April 01, 2013, 10:13:35 PM »
Took a train from Copenhagen to Berlin and the ticket puncher guy got super pissed at me and my bro for having our feet on the seat across from us, I was all  :ohno:

Took a sleeper train through Germany and slept across the walkway from a girl that went to Cincy and this was just the time that the catz got Huggins, she was all sad that Huggs left and I was all  :dance: because it was GRCOAT

Also, is every town in Switzerland just ridiculously rich, I went to Lucerne (totally beautiful) and was just blown away, but damn them for not being on the Euro like everyone else, it made staying at a hostel a total pain in the ass.
I'm purple down

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: April 01, 2013, 10:37:22 PM »
Lucerne is probably the most beautiful place in the world (much apologise to BSFS)

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
travel thread
« Reply #1598 on: April 02, 2013, 12:46:08 AM »
Had this happen before.

Just got back from a weekend in Dublin/Belfast. Pretty amazing. The black cab tour in Dublin that goes around to all the political murals/"peace wall" is great. The driver stops at a bunch of locations and explains the history of the troubles. Ended up buying a book about the troubles "The dirty war" and started reading on the ferry back.

This sounds like a very enjoyable trip.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline chunkles

• KSU CATS Videographer of the Week
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: April 02, 2013, 01:14:24 AM »
is there a 10' high club for trains, because there are  two euro trains that me and a filly should've damn well been kicked out of... :gocho:  :sdeek: