Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1356466 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #1525 on: March 26, 2013, 06:17:37 PM »
eff.  I like to go places and see the indigenous peoples.  Mayhaps even interact or trade with them.

Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline LilSmokyMcIntyre

• Fan
  • The (wo)man the myth the legend
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/#!/HotDogsKC
« Reply #1526 on: March 26, 2013, 07:34:12 PM »
Planned a little trip To Boston / Montreal. Gonna fly (direct, duh) to Boston and drive to Montreal. Anyone know of nice places to see/do on that drive. Staying in downtown Montreal. Would love some incredible things to do/see/consume.

Montreal, has a lot of one way streets and everything is in french...watch out.
Poutine is gross.
Overall Montreal is a very cool European looking old city. Enjoy. The drive up there from Boston should be very pretty (and slow, lots of small towns with speed traps).

Little intention on driving when we get there. Figured it was like any large city...public transportation is easier than driving. Never heard of this poutine you speak of but I might as well give it a whirl. I mean, when in Montreal, amirite? Any can't miss restaurants? Boston restaurants?

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: March 27, 2013, 12:14:40 AM »
What's the deal with all-inclusive resorts?  Like they seem to be very white/midwesterny, relatively expensive, and stupid.  You can go to some of the same places and stay in your own house, complete with cook, rent a car, drive all over, see local crap, and pay the same or less.  I guess all inclusive is okay if you just plan on eating a eff ton of shitty food and drinking your vacation away like a fat lazy lush?  I hate to pass judgement but welp I just did.

Went to an all Inclusive in Cancun for a bachelor party in October and had a blast. It was a 3 night 2 day trip and the price was $475 plus airfaire, well worth it.

Stayed at the RIU Caribe and it was very non white/midwesterny. They had a sports bar at the place that was open until 4am where I Whooped up on some Chileans in Foosball. We Creeped on some Aremenian chicks from Los Angeles both days. Played some sand volleyball against a group of Brazilians who were very very good. Snuck some Swiss girls into the hotel and gave them free drinks. Met a group of white midwesterners from Ohio and hung out with them. Creeped on a gaggle of British chicks one night. Very Euro/South American Mix.

I missed a chance to hook up with a British chick named Scarlett because I couldnt understand her accent(And I was hammered). I had been light heartedly hitting on her all night and We left the bar at the same time and walked to the elevator together. As she was getting on she said something which I couldnt understand and I was just like "Yeah okay, see you later". She goes up the elevator and my buddy turns to me and says "Umm, she just said she wished she had a man to take her back to the room and you told her "See you later""

I could see what floor she got off on and took the next elevator up to that floor where I ran down the hallways yelling "Scarlett!!! SCARLETT!! SCARLET I LOVE YOU"

That was the first night and I never saw her again  :frown:

Food was decent but not great, All you can drink was pretty amazing.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: March 27, 2013, 06:22:06 AM »
A little late, but agree on the basic DC/NYC take. I'd rather live in DC, but I'd rather visit NYC. The first time I went there it was a little mind-blowing even after living in DC for a year or so.

That said, I will not stand idly by and let people slander DC night life. If you can't have a good time at night in DC, it's probably because you're afraid to leave Georgetown or 7th street and risk encountering a minority in the wild. 
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: March 27, 2013, 09:25:15 AM »
What's the deal with all-inclusive resorts?  Like they seem to be very white/midwesterny, relatively expensive, and stupid.  You can go to some of the same places and stay in your own house, complete with cook, rent a car, drive all over, see local crap, and pay the same or less.  I guess all inclusive is okay if you just plan on eating a eff ton of shitty food and drinking your vacation away like a fat lazy lush?  I hate to pass judgement but welp I just did.

Went to an all Inclusive in Cancun for a bachelor party in October and had a blast. It was a 3 night 2 day trip and the price was $475 plus airfaire, well worth it.

Stayed at the RIU Caribe and it was very non white/midwesterny. They had a sports bar at the place that was open until 4am where I Whooped up on some Chileans in Foosball. We Creeped on some Aremenian chicks from Los Angeles both days. Played some sand volleyball against a group of Brazilians who were very very good. Snuck some Swiss girls into the hotel and gave them free drinks. Met a group of white midwesterners from Ohio and hung out with them. Creeped on a gaggle of British chicks one night. Very Euro/South American Mix.

I missed a chance to hook up with a British chick named Scarlett because I couldnt understand her accent(And I was hammered). I had been light heartedly hitting on her all night and We left the bar at the same time and walked to the elevator together. As she was getting on she said something which I couldnt understand and I was just like "Yeah okay, see you later". She goes up the elevator and my buddy turns to me and says "Umm, she just said she wished she had a man to take her back to the room and you told her "See you later""

I could see what floor she got off on and took the next elevator up to that floor where I ran down the hallways yelling "Scarlett!!! SCARLETT!! SCARLET I LOVE YOU"

Ya this sounds pretty good.  I was talking about those places people go honeymoon at where it's just a bunch of fat disgusting Americans stuffing their faces and generally being culturally ignorant.  But like we got this place all to ourselves for less than $200/night in November. 

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: March 27, 2013, 09:52:56 AM »
Looks like a awesome place/price. Did you say you got a cook too? did you just google houses for rent where you wanted to go or is there a house renting service website thingy :dunno:
I'm purple down

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
Re: Re: travel thread
« Reply #1531 on: March 27, 2013, 09:55:21 AM »
Going to Nashville for a weekend in April for a Bachelor Party.

Anyone ever been and have any recomendo's?

Nashville is pretty fun. Exceeded my expectations, mostly because I had an impression that it was just a bunch of country stuff. But there's a lot going on. Ginormous hipster community also.

Hit this place up for breakfast sometime. There's like a 45 minute line every day but it's worth it imo.

http://www.thepancakepantry.com/

Obviously the main strip (Broadway) is cool, lots of bars and shops and whatnot.

They have a giant Parthenon in a park right next to Vanderbilt. It's cool to check out. I also walked right onto the football field and goofed around with some friends, they don't even keep it locked up!

Also the state capitol building is pretty cool, there's a big park down the hill from it, and a giant map of tennessee with each county and town etched into the concrete.

I guess if you're going for a bachelor party just walk up and down Broadway and get mumped up. But the above stuff is good for daytime activities.

Mrs. raquetcat lived in Nashville for a year it's a pretty cool city, here are her recommendos:

Places to Eat:
Pancake Pantry – Sweet Potato Pancakes with Cinnamon Cream Syrup
Calypso Café
Fido
Loveless Café
Las Paletas (popsicles)
Germantown Café
Virago (Sushi)
South Street
Cabana

Things to do:
Downtown Nashville – Bar Hopping at night (live music in every venue)
Green Hills for Shopping
Bluebird Café (Sunday night – Writers night…go early to get in line…AWESOME!!)
Yazoo Brewery Tours
Lots of historical tours if you’re into that

Headed to Nashville with lady BR and just booked the Yazoo tours Saturday, might hit up Pancake Pantry for breakfast that morning! Thanks Mrs. Raquetcat

:thumbs:
Just fyi there will be a minimum 30 minute line for the pancake pantry on a weekend morning, but they keep it moving pretty well
I'm purple down

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: March 27, 2013, 10:03:52 AM »
Looks like a awesome place/price. Did you say you got a cook too? did you just google houses for rent where you wanted to go or is there a house renting service website thingy :dunno:

There are some pretty good websites for renting vacation houses for extended amounts of time. Boss man was telling me he rented a house for a week on Sanibel Island for $1000. Pretty big house as it is accomodating his brothers family as well, no idea on the name of the website though.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: March 27, 2013, 10:06:35 AM »

Ya this sounds pretty good.  I was talking about those places people go honeymoon at where it's just a bunch of fat disgusting Americans stuffing their faces and generally being culturally ignorant.  But like we got this place all to ourselves for less than $200/night in November. 

Emo, what site do you use for that?  VRBO.com? 

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: March 27, 2013, 10:08:01 AM »

There are some pretty good websites for renting vacation houses for extended amounts of time. Boss man was telling me he rented a house for a week on Sanibel Island for $1000. Pretty big house as it is accomodating his brothers family as well, no idea on the name of the website though.

Tell him your irl friend wants to know the website :)
I'm purple down

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: March 27, 2013, 10:08:22 AM »

Cook was extra, but we mostly ate out.  We just Googled.  I will admit there was a higher uncertainty because it's not like some travel agent was recommending it.  We basically had to trust the website and emails and phone calls.  That part was uncomfortable for sure. 

This is the website for this development:  http://www.exumabahamasvillas.com/ 

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: March 27, 2013, 10:14:28 AM »

CNSBro uses www.vrbo.com often and really likes it.  I have shopped it but haven't used it yet.  Depending on where you go and what you want out of it, it looks like a pretty good option.  One reason I haven't used it yet is that I usually don't spend more than 2-3 nights somewhere on vacation and the cleaning fees and stuff like that make a 3 night stay less reasonable than they do for a week stay vs other options. 

Anyway, check it out.  They seem to have a very good range of locations.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: March 27, 2013, 10:22:16 AM »
vrbo is the bomb.

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: March 27, 2013, 10:31:40 AM »
Along the same line is www.airbnb.com I think i said something about it before but still havent used it.  Thinking of using it for the texas game and snag a condo on 6th.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: March 27, 2013, 10:57:03 AM »
you guys are all weirdos

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: March 27, 2013, 12:47:14 PM »
I like homeway.com and flipkey.com - alot of the same properties are on all the websites - the best deal is to try to find the website or facebook page the owners have set up themselves and you can save 10% or so, especially if it is an low season rental.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: March 27, 2013, 01:34:31 PM »
I like homeway.com and flipkey.com - alot of the same properties are on all the websites - the best deal is to try to find the website or facebook page the owners have set up themselves and you can save 10% or so, especially if it is an low season rental.

If you're dealing with an owner, somehow assure them you are not up to college-aged jackassery.  Will go a long ways in getting a better deal.

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: March 27, 2013, 02:19:57 PM »

CNSBro uses www.vrbo.com often and really likes it.  I have shopped it but haven't used it yet.  Depending on where you go and what you want out of it, it looks like a pretty good option.  One reason I haven't used it yet is that I usually don't spend more than 2-3 nights somewhere on vacation and the cleaning fees and stuff like that make a 3 night stay less reasonable than they do for a week stay vs other options. 

Anyway, check it out.  They seem to have a very good range of locations.

Confirmed that boss man used this website.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
travel thread
« Reply #1543 on: March 29, 2013, 07:28:11 AM »
Going to Europe in May. Never been. TIA, travel thread.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: March 29, 2013, 07:28:38 AM »

what parts?

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
travel thread
« Reply #1545 on: March 29, 2013, 08:24:58 AM »

what parts?

Not entirely certain yet. Mrs Rex got 5-days paid leave with per diem (plus $500 toward each ticket) as a work bonus. She wants to go to the French countryside or something and maybe also hit London. We considered Spain, but she went to school there for awhile and wants to go somewhere new.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: March 29, 2013, 08:25:36 AM »
Scandinavia!

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: March 29, 2013, 08:59:23 AM »

what parts?

Not entirely certain yet. Mrs Rex got 5-days paid leave with per diem (plus $500 toward each ticket) as a work bonus. She wants to go to the French countryside or something and maybe also hit London. We considered Spain, but she went to school there for awhile and wants to go somewhere new.
If I could go anywhere in Europe I think I would pick Italy.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: March 29, 2013, 09:42:45 AM »

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: March 29, 2013, 10:22:42 AM »