Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1357206 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #16025 on: December 13, 2023, 10:02:12 PM »
Also one more airport picture, I think this should be relatively difficult

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16026 on: December 13, 2023, 10:03:58 PM »
I hate hate hate having to gate check. I almost caused an international diplomatic incident in Cuba because of it. Thus, I will lice from time to time, depending on the circumstances.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #16027 on: December 13, 2023, 10:10:41 PM »
Yeah, nobody is up there because they want to get on the CO2 sausage quicker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16028 on: December 13, 2023, 10:22:52 PM »
I don't have to use the overhead because I'm in economy plus, but I pay for that space for my 6'3" frame and not my damn backpack.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16029 on: December 13, 2023, 10:25:01 PM »
Southwest has minimal gate lice
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16030 on: December 13, 2023, 10:26:23 PM »
Or 100%

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #16031 on: December 14, 2023, 08:31:44 AM »
it's because overhead bin space is limited by the airline intentionally. These are almost exclusively business travellers who can't check a bag and need to assure they get it up top. It's not a people problem, it's an airline problem.

some of the business travelers are complete assholes too though. I almost caused an incident back in my work travel days. I was already at my boiling point and was one of the first on the plane. The dick in front of me put his bag in the overhead in my aisle. No big deal, but he then walked all the way to the back of the plane to his seat. I asked him why the eff he would do that and basically told me to eff off. It was really strange and I couldn't figure out why he would do that. He was one of the first people on the plane.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16032 on: December 14, 2023, 08:35:36 AM »
idk you guys, in my experience the worst offenders are clearly not business travelers. these are salt of the earth type folks who look at their Group 2 boarding pass and think that means they are boarding the plane 2nd

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16033 on: December 14, 2023, 08:40:02 AM »
Or 100%

Yep

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16034 on: December 14, 2023, 01:35:02 PM »
it's because overhead bin space is limited by the airline intentionally. These are almost exclusively business travellers who can't check a bag and need to assure they get it up top. It's not a people problem, it's an airline problem.

some of the business travelers are complete assholes too though. I almost caused an incident back in my work travel days. I was already at my boiling point and was one of the first on the plane. The dick in front of me put his bag in the overhead in my aisle. No big deal, but he then walked all the way to the back of the plane to his seat. I asked him why the eff he would do that and basically told me to eff off. It was really strange and I couldn't figure out why he would do that. He was one of the first people on the plane.

business guys always put a dang coat in the overhead bin

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16035 on: December 14, 2023, 02:05:58 PM »

I always smash mine on top of my own bag

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16036 on: December 14, 2023, 04:20:21 PM »

I always smash mine on top of my own bag

that's because you are a decent human SD.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16037 on: December 14, 2023, 04:21:36 PM »
idk you guys, in my experience the worst offenders are clearly not business travelers. these are salt of the earth type folks who look at their Group 2 boarding pass and think that means they are boarding the plane 2nd

Yeah I seem to always be fighting to get around very non-business types holding Group 8 boarding. At first I'm nice thinking okay maybe they are waiting for this Group 1 that I'm going to but then they just stop and I see their Gate 8.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #16038 on: December 14, 2023, 04:40:09 PM »
Hold up MIR, did you have a carryon and the backpack or just the backpack?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16039 on: December 15, 2023, 11:42:15 PM »
Just a backpack. I never ever have a carry on.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16040 on: December 16, 2023, 09:27:47 AM »

This has been mine. There are some shitty business travelers but in my experience, thy less experience people have travelling, the more obvious it is how much they suck at the general expectations it takes to travel. It's kinda not their fault cause they don't travel a lot, but lord does it become a pain if you travel a lot and get tired of the "oh I should put my carry on in the upper bin pronto and get out the aisle so others can pass" etc. It's like your whole goal while travelling is to be as not in everyone else way as much as possible, and many people lack that awareness.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16041 on: December 16, 2023, 10:09:23 AM »

This has been mine. There are some shitty business travelers but in my experience, thy less experience people have travelling, the more obvious it is how much they suck at the general expectations it takes to travel. It's kinda not their fault cause they don't travel a lot, but lord does it become a pain if you travel a lot and get tired of the "oh I should put my carry on in the upper bin pronto and get out the aisle so others can pass" etc. It's like your whole goal while travelling is to be as not in everyone else way as much as possible, and many people lack that awareness.

You may extend your grace if you wish, but I give no quarter to these assholes. If it were so that a mere lack of travel experience could explain such behavior, how do we explain the same phenomenon in the aisles of grocery stores? A mere lack of grocery shopping experience?! These are deeply selfish cunts who deserve to die.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #16042 on: December 16, 2023, 11:17:50 AM »
:lol:
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #16043 on: December 20, 2023, 02:03:09 PM »
So I got A-List this year for the first time on Southwest, so any protips for the next year+ that I should take advantage of?
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16044 on: December 20, 2023, 05:39:56 PM »
So I got A-List this year for the first time on Southwest, so any protips for the next year+ that I should take advantage of?

Take advantage of the same day flight change. Just used that yesterday to jump up to an earlier flight to get home sooner. Even if you don't get A for some reason, make sure to board right after the A's with the families.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #16045 on: December 28, 2023, 07:29:56 AM »

Offline SondraHenfling

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16046 on: December 29, 2023, 07:58:55 AM »
I have a question for those who like to travel in style. I'm looking for a travel bag similar to this Weekender leather bag, which is quite expensive. Does anyone have an alternative made of leather, that looks just as good but is a bit less costly?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 03:55:12 AM by SondraHenfling »

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16047 on: December 29, 2023, 08:15:18 AM »
I'm on the hunt for a new travel bag, but with the sheer number of options out there, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed and unsure what to choose!

Like roller sized? Away is the only answer for that.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16048 on: December 29, 2023, 09:06:30 AM »
i got a new Away set for Christmas, will have a little extra confidence in my step walking thru the termy now

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16049 on: December 29, 2023, 10:34:52 AM »
Jumped on their limited edition glossy lavender and now every EMAW is jelly of it.

Moved all my roller sized (carry on and checked) to Away. Had a small rip in one of the netting after 3-4 years of owning, support swapped out for a new one because they didn't have a replacement part for that specific netting.