Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1357283 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #15075 on: August 20, 2022, 02:50:30 PM »
this quote from the article is lmao

KCI leaders said there are 877 daily transatlantic passengers from KCI and other regional airports in a presentation to International Airlines Group.

The regional airports include Columbia and Springfield in Missouri; Des Moines, Iowa; Wichita and Manhattan in Kansas; and Lincoln and Omaha in Nebraska.

Regional airport? Whomever wrote that can S my D. It's Des Moines International Airport, hoe.

in context i think it just means other airports in the region

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15076 on: August 20, 2022, 03:18:46 PM »
for one shining moment pre-covid OMA had directs to YYZ (toronto) on air canada. gosh darn maple leaf tailed bird. right there in oma  :frown:
I can't believe KC still has them. Who is on that flight? Has anyone taken one?

I recently did YYZ-LGA and it was cool because you go through US customs in Canada because LGA doesn't have customs

A lot of people on my worksite take that flight  :shakesfist:

Is there a reason not to present your boarding pass with the airline app vs a paper boarding pass? I’ve only flown once in the last five years but it seemed like I was one of the few people using the app to board. Maybe if you are someplace where you can’t charge your phone?

It really depends, I use the app a lot, but sometimes it's nice to have paper, especially international when you have to show/scan it a lot, and I don't want to keep getting into my phone to find it.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15077 on: August 20, 2022, 06:40:37 PM »
When you check a bag they just give you one. What am I going to do not use it? Come on

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15078 on: August 20, 2022, 06:45:59 PM »
Delta app is incredibly shitty and sometimes just won't let you log in. It's unreal but a decent reason for paper

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15079 on: August 20, 2022, 06:58:29 PM »
Yeah I have had my boarding pass pulled up then scrolled twitter or whatever and gone back to the app at boarding time and its frozen so bad i have to restart my phone, not just the app. Incredibly embarrassing to back out of the line to restart your phone like a jackass

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15080 on: August 20, 2022, 07:31:57 PM »
Who doesn’t just add the pass to their wallet and screenshot also just in case?

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
travel thread
« Reply #15081 on: August 20, 2022, 07:38:09 PM »
Who doesn’t just add the pass to their wallet and screenshot also just in case?
This is my pre flight process as well.  However I was unable to do that prior to boarding CDG.  I had to check in, verify credentials, print boarding pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #15082 on: August 20, 2022, 08:05:51 PM »
Delta app is incredibly shitty and sometimes just won't let you log in. It's unreal but a decent reason for paper
I used the American app and it seemed to work pretty well. One one leg of the trip, you had to do a health screening before you could check in and I got a paper pass but they didn’t actually look at the pass or scan it, they just asked me for my name and seat number. Just observos from a travel n00b.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15083 on: August 20, 2022, 08:07:07 PM »
Toronto’s pretty good to go through to Europe. Easy to get through to the international terminal. International terminal has a nice large side room if you aren’t using a club. I used to work at a Swedish owned company where the HQ is just across the Oresund from Copenhagen. We had to go to Sweden & had Swede’s coming over quite a bit. I got everyone hooked on TUL>ORD>YYZ>CPH on Air Canada for the last 2 legs.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 08:13:26 PM by TheHamburglar »
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15084 on: August 20, 2022, 11:18:50 PM »
boarding passes I'm usually paper first.  I mean I see how much the app/phone people eff up the boarding process. No thanks I'll get the app version if I'm carrying on but no sweat off my back to get printed.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #15085 on: August 21, 2022, 10:01:03 AM »
boarding passes I'm usually paper first.  I mean I see how much the app/phone people eff up the boarding process. No thanks I'll get the app version if I'm carrying on but no sweat off my back to get printed.
wtf

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #15086 on: August 21, 2022, 10:06:06 AM »
This whole conversation is ridiculous. The only reason to get paper is if you check a bag, and the only reason to check a bag is golf clubs or guns.  Use the app you geezers.
:adios:

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #15087 on: August 21, 2022, 10:09:55 AM »
There are kiosks where it takes 90 seconds to get the paper. Those 90 seconds are worth it.  :th_twocents:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15088 on: August 21, 2022, 10:11:01 AM »

Toronto’s pretty good to go through to Europe. Easy to get through to the international terminal. International terminal has a nice large side room if you aren’t using a club. I used to work at a Swedish owned company where the HQ is just across the Oresund from Copenhagen. We had to go to Sweden & had Swede’s coming over quite a bit. I got everyone hooked on TUL>ORD>YYZ>CPH on Air Canada for the last 2 legs.

Why wouldn't you just do ORD-CPH

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #15089 on: August 25, 2022, 09:10:00 AM »
Any Napa tips? Going on a work thing and we have an afternoon and night off. Doing wine tours with the group the whole time so i'm looking for something different and I really don't even like wine so there is that. I found what looks like a decent brewery/restaurant that we may hit up. Anyone been to the area much and have any non wine recommendations? We really only have a bit of the afternoon and then dinner in the evening to fill. Looking for something casual.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #15090 on: August 25, 2022, 09:13:11 AM »
Drive over to Russian River Brewery on the Sonoma side. It is BITB.

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #15091 on: August 25, 2022, 09:20:30 AM »
Doing napa in October. I'm getting pretty giddy about it.

Also, doing columbus, oh for work in September. Sticking around that Saturday night to witness an Ohio State game. Not even a fan, but I need to see what the horseshoe is all about.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #15092 on: August 25, 2022, 09:51:10 AM »

Ugh, I spotted this and keep going back to it. Its like an hour away from where we are staying though. Don't have a car, so not sure if we can pull it off. Looking at some spots in downtown Napa which is fairly close to where we are staying.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15093 on: August 25, 2022, 01:55:25 PM »

Ugh, I spotted this and keep going back to it. Its like an hour away from where we are staying though. Don't have a car, so not sure if we can pull it off. Looking at some spots in downtown Napa which is fairly close to where we are staying.

yeah just let yelp choose a nice restaurant for you. otherwise it's pretty boring.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #15094 on: August 25, 2022, 02:08:14 PM »

yeah just let yelp choose a nice restaurant for you. otherwise it's pretty boring.

Ha, i'm looking way more forward to this day just wandering that the group tours and dinners. I found a couple of small breweries in what appears to be downtown Napa and within walking distance to each other. Will hit those and find a decent spot to eat. Thanks

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15095 on: August 25, 2022, 02:39:15 PM »

Ha, i'm looking way more forward to this day just wandering that the group tours and dinners. I found a couple of small breweries in what appears to be downtown Napa and within walking distance to each other. Will hit those and find a decent spot to eat. Thanks
Also not Napa but not far is this place which has a great concert series:

https://www.gunbun.com/events/?gclid=CjwKCAjwu5yYBhAjEiwAKXk_eAgB9pCCDh21-86UADw7qvTjsjW3EQ6cwa2WKG54jDQF7d0nFXYYFRoCuH4QAvD_BwE

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15096 on: August 25, 2022, 04:29:31 PM »
Any Napa tips? Going on a work thing and we have an afternoon and night off. Doing wine tours with the group the whole time so i'm looking for something different and I really don't even like wine so there is that. I found what looks like a decent brewery/restaurant that we may hit up. Anyone been to the area much and have any non wine recommendations? We really only have a bit of the afternoon and then dinner in the evening to fill. Looking for something casual.
Oxbow market is fantastic and would be a good afternoon activity. Bunch of stalls of great grocery/deli food and also wine of course and a few restaurants.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #15097 on: August 25, 2022, 04:34:38 PM »
Oxbow market is fantastic and would be a good afternoon activity. Bunch of stalls of great grocery/deli food and also wine of course and a few restaurants.

Nice, that is close to Trade Brewery which I was going to hit. Thanks KK.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15098 on: August 25, 2022, 07:48:12 PM »
Regarding wine country in general, downtown Healdsburg has been my favorite little chill spot. But obviously, if you have any connects to any winery, that's the way to go.

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #15099 on: August 26, 2022, 12:04:06 AM »
This whole conversation is ridiculous. The only reason to get paper is if you check a bag, and the only reason to check a bag is golf clubs or guns.  Use the app you geezers.

And bikes.

Speaking of which, anyone ever traveled to Nova Scotia or Montreal?