Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1357101 times)

puniraptor and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #13950 on: February 08, 2022, 06:59:09 PM »
Getting your document of covid recovery is a much less stressful way to get back into the country.

First time coming back through customs at DIA. 40 minutes from touchdown to centurions lounge. Impressive.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13951 on: February 08, 2022, 08:44:13 PM »
anyone in here ever been to Costa Rica?
Yep, loved it. We stayed at Tulemar on the pacific coast by the Manuel Antonio nature reserve. rough ridin' sloths outside our window, monkeys running all over the place, and loads of parrots and crap. Amazing. The place we stayed was nice. We got one of the cheaper “bungalow” things and it was perfect for us.

this is what I'm looking for. I want to be as far away from corporate all inclusive resorts as I can get.

What time of year did you go? I've heard conflicting things about dry/rainy season.
Resort looks fantastic. I'm curious about flights. Did you take the regional from SJO or drive?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
i flew into Liberia in 2016 but would do San Jose if I go back, the rain forest in the nortwest part of the country was a little underwhelming.  Was there in June which is the rainy season and while we only had 1 totally rainy day but it was cloudy almost the entire week.  Rental cars are super expensive.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #13952 on: February 08, 2022, 08:47:01 PM »
Yep, loved it. We stayed at Tulemar on the pacific coast by the Manuel Antonio nature reserve. rough ridin' sloths outside our window, monkeys running all over the place, and loads of parrots and crap. Amazing. The place we stayed was nice. We got one of the cheaper “bungalow” things and it was perfect for us.

this is what I'm looking for. I want to be as far away from corporate all inclusive resorts as I can get.

What time of year did you go? I've heard conflicting things about dry/rainy season.
Resort looks fantastic. I'm curious about flights. Did you take the regional from SJO or drive?

i flew into Liberia in 2016 but would do San Jose if I go back, the rain forest in the nortwest part of the country was a little underwhelming.  Was there in June which is the rainy season and while we only had 1 totally rainy day but it was cloudy almost the entire week.  Rental cars are super expensive.
Hmm. Sounds like the regional for $200 r/t might be the way to go. $400 is probably significantly less than a rental.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13953 on: February 09, 2022, 01:14:16 AM »
Guys, Portland is really rough ridin' dirty and gross, no gEing either. My irl friend who is a Portlandia'r said that they've really had a hard time recovering from the summer of 2020. I've never seen so many homeless people, bird crap, and boarded up windows. You'd think they laid off their public works employees too

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #13954 on: February 09, 2022, 07:23:51 AM »

We went over Thanksgiving week.  It was perfect.  Rained for a little bit here and there, but nothing that changed our plans.  They said that they occasionally get more rain that week, being at the end of the rainy season.  We flew into San Jose and got a private car service to take us to the resort.  Was about three hours, but the dude stopped to let us stand around at the bridge that has 800 giant crocodiles under it with people flinging chicken bits at them.

We loved every bit of it.  The nature was great, and the little town was fine for a bite to eat.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #13955 on: February 09, 2022, 07:25:11 AM »
Guys, Portland is really rough ridin' dirty and gross, no gEing either. My irl friend who is a Portlandia'r said that they've really had a hard time recovering from the summer of 2020. I've never seen so many homeless people, bird crap, and boarded up windows. You'd think they laid off their public works employees too

Are you talking about their "inner city" areas mostly?  I've never been, but I was led to believe that they have pretty quaint suburb areas.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #13956 on: February 09, 2022, 07:59:33 AM »
I'm sure you're there for work and I haven't been since crap hit the fan, but if you get a chance, go drive out to god bridge and the falls. Checkout the major breweries as well and their famous comedy club. They usually have someone big playing.

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13957 on: February 09, 2022, 09:46:48 AM »
Why?

Was just there a few weeks ago... there is still a lot of remnants from the riots.  Homeless camps strewn about, needles on the sidewalks, etc.  It is unfortunate, but the city hasn't done much to clean it up yet.  Bend, OR would be a much better spot in the PNW to visit.
Yeah, that sounds awful. Especially on vacation. Woof! The whole point of vacation is to get away from the noise. Good advice, K4life!

Yeah it's tough.  We are moving to Vancouver, WA next spring (across the border from Portland), and even our friends that live there tell us to stay away from Portland.  I live in Denver now, so a lot of what I mentioned above isn't uncommon here either, but it is definitely worse there, at least for now.

Yeah I mentioned this back in September.  Sad to see it hasn't gotten any better.  Not super excited it's about to be our closest big city, but there is still a lot to do around it.  If you are still there, you should check out downtown Vancouver, WA.  Amaro's Table is a great place to eat.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13958 on: February 09, 2022, 11:20:13 AM »
Yeah, I'm staying downtown. When I travel I prefer to stay in the city core and not the burbs. It's so bad. I did have a very good meal last night at a kitchy bowling alley, grand central bowling. Because I like to take public transport, I took a bus and a trolly from the restaurant back to my hotel, which I like a lot. I've never been so scared while walking to and waiting for that bus. There are many areas within the core/downtown areas that have been completely neglected.

I once walked from the LA Coliseum to the corner of Florence & Normandy, where the LA Riots started, and I wasn't scared at all because the neighborhood had so many people out and lots of street lights. Then I took a bus from there to Randy's Doughnuts in Inglewood, again not scared. Last night I was convinced I was going to get stabbed.

Wacky, I went to Deschutes, it's pretty close to the hotel, it was okay. Going to @Justwin recommendo of Podnah's for lunch today, will report back.

@Trim you sold Acrop short. My local buddy told me that the owner of acrop owns a strip club and a cattle and the steaks he sells are from his herd. Farm to table steaks! That being said, I haven't been in a strip club since 2005 and I won't be breaking that streak this week.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13959 on: February 09, 2022, 11:21:19 AM »
Also food here is more expensive than San Diego, and that's unacceptable.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13960 on: February 09, 2022, 11:43:10 AM »
@Trim you sold Acrop short. My local buddy told me that the owner of acrop owns a strip club and a cattle and the steaks he sells are from his herd. Farm to table steaks! That being said, I haven't been in a strip club since 2005 and I won't be breaking that streak this week.

I specifically said to get steaks at a-crop. They actually have a window you can order from to get the food without even entering.

I learned of it from the same girl who pitched me on the Oregon coast trip I later made. JMart backed out the night I wanted to go for dinner and I ended up going solo for awesome steak and eggs on Easter sunday brunch. There were whole groups of people coming in seemingly post-church.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13961 on: February 09, 2022, 11:44:24 AM »

A-crop has the flavors and prices you crave.

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13962 on: February 09, 2022, 11:48:17 AM »

That's disappointing.  Also, if I remember right, you are a big ice cream guy?  Try Salt and Straw if you get a chance, good stuff!

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13964 on: February 09, 2022, 11:59:59 AM »
https://www.vice.com/en/article/ywmvax/inside-the-insane-feud-between-a-vegan-strip-club-and-the-steak-house-next-door

https://www.wweek.com/bars/2019/06/06/dont-freak-out-iconic-portland-steakhouse-strip-club-the-acropolis-has-closed-but-only-temporarily/

:lol:

It’s all as Portland as it gets.
It all checks out now:

I ate at some Mexican place in Portland and got up to go to the bathroom and accidentally walked into a strip club, because I chose the wrong door. True story. Mrs. Wacky decided we should just go to the strip club after dinner, because when in Rome. So random. Strip club was literally in the back of the Mexican restaurant. :lol:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13965 on: February 09, 2022, 01:21:53 PM »

That's disappointing.  Also, if I remember right, you are a big ice cream guy?  Try Salt and Straw if you get a chance, good stuff!

Oooh, on it.

I learned of it from the same girl who pitched me on the Oregon coast trip I later made. JMart backed out the night I wanted to go for dinner and I ended up going solo for awesome steak and eggs on Easter sunday brunch. There were whole groups of people coming in seemingly post-church.

Yeah, but you didn't tell me ol boy has his own cows. Strip club steaks, particularly at those prices, don't connote fresh.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13966 on: February 09, 2022, 01:24:57 PM »
Yeah, but you didn't tell me ol boy has his own cows. Strip club steaks, particularly at those prices, don't connote fresh.

I can’t vouch for the cows, plus it appears from the articles he’s dead.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13967 on: February 09, 2022, 03:29:45 PM »

We went over Thanksgiving week.  It was perfect.  Rained for a little bit here and there, but nothing that changed our plans.  They said that they occasionally get more rain that week, being at the end of the rainy season.  We flew into San Jose and got a private car service to take us to the resort.  Was about three hours, but the dude stopped to let us stand around at the bridge that has 800 giant crocodiles under it with people flinging chicken bits at them.

We loved every bit of it.  The nature was great, and the little town was fine for a bite to eat.

Thanks for the info. looking at staying at Nayara Springs in June, sounds like they get a nice rain shower in the afternoon but other than that should be good.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13968 on: February 09, 2022, 03:53:11 PM »

Is that the place we went to with JMart on the Beasley trip?  If so, the marrow bones were the icing on the cake /steak.
@mikec2w

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13969 on: February 09, 2022, 04:06:54 PM »

Is that the place we went to with JMart on the Beasley trip?  If so, the marrow bones were the icing on the cake /steak.

Lol, no, couldn't be more different. JMart's classy.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13970 on: February 09, 2022, 04:17:25 PM »

Lol, no, couldn't be more different. JMart's classy.

Holy crap..a fast food steak joint.
@mikec2w

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13971 on: February 09, 2022, 04:28:49 PM »
The Acropolis Steakhouse has my attention

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13972 on: February 09, 2022, 04:34:48 PM »
That's not like cow meat at those $ right? 

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13973 on: February 09, 2022, 04:35:16 PM »
That might be old. Here's a site with a few versions and it looks like the special may now be SEVEN bucks.

https://restaurantguru.com/Acropolis-Steakhouse-Portland/menu

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13974 on: February 09, 2022, 04:39:01 PM »
That's not like cow meat at those $ right?
Vegan, hipster cows