Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1351228 times)

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #13650 on: September 16, 2021, 04:20:06 PM »
even it took 40 minutes to get the car I think spending it at the airport with a baby would be way better than airport/shuttle/rental car line

ESP when you have to add in all the crap it requires to fly with an infant.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13651 on: September 16, 2021, 04:28:51 PM »
even it took 40 minutes to get the car I think spending it at the airport with a baby would be way better than airport/shuttle/rental car line

I disagree but whatever. Also pick up and drop off at phx is kind of confusing. Multiple levels and sides. Just get the baby inside the car and get on the road as quick as possible if it were me. And they don’t have to stand in line at the rental car place. They could sit off to the side. The car place at Phoenix is huge.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #13652 on: September 16, 2021, 08:26:24 PM »

I disagree but whatever. Also pick up and drop off at phx is kind of confusing. Multiple levels and sides. Just get the baby inside the car and get on the road as quick as possible if it were me. And they don’t have to stand in line at the rental car place. They could sit off to the side. The car place at Phoenix is huge.

you can rent baby gear from a company apparently so ms ww is arranging that. We won't have to pack too much stuff thankfully. will try to keep everything moving as fast as we can.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #13653 on: September 20, 2021, 09:29:11 AM »
Need expert travel people (SD) opinion here. Should I change my flight to Turks? I currently have a 38 min change in Charlotte that is making the fam nervous. My other options are a bit under an hour or like 2.5 hours. I'd love to just keep it as it gets us there the fastest by far, but I don't know what happens if I get delayed in KC. It seems everything has to go perfect for that to work and I'm surprised it was even an option.

What would an expert traveller (SD) do if they were in this situation with the family?

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13654 on: September 20, 2021, 09:42:20 AM »
Need expert travel people (SD) opinion here. Should I change my flight to Turks? I currently have a 38 min change in Charlotte that is making the fam nervous. My other options are a bit under an hour or like 2.5 hours. I'd love to just keep it as it gets us there the fastest by far, but I don't know what happens if I get delayed in KC. It seems everything has to go perfect for that to work and I'm surprised it was even an option.

What would an expert traveller (SD) do if they were in this situation with the family?

Not SD and don't have kids but based on what I've seen of CLT it would be pretty easy although it's kind of long to get kids around in if you are in different concourses.  I'd switch to the under hour one.  Doesn't seem like you are giving up that much time.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13655 on: September 20, 2021, 09:42:47 AM »

Do the just under an hour option

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13656 on: September 20, 2021, 09:49:21 AM »
We're sitting on the tarmac and dude in front of me already has seat back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well that guy's a prick because he's a "rules don't apply to me guy"

Well, on a flight yesterday with the guy in front of me leaning his seat back as we're taking off.  Got up an hour into the flight to go to the restroom and left the seat leaning back.

I stand by my belief that people who recline the seat are assholes. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13657 on: September 20, 2021, 12:46:46 PM »
We're sitting on the tarmac and dude in front of me already has seat back.

Well that guy's a prick because he's a "rules don't apply to me guy"

Well, on a flight yesterday with the guy in front of me leaning his seat back as we're taking off.  Got up an hour into the flight to go to the restroom and left the seat leaning back.

I stand by my belief that people who recline the seat are assholes. 

I still think you're wrong! when you purchase an economy seat behind a reclining seat you signed a social contract that the seat in front of you can be reclined. If reclining wasn't expected, they would make them fixed (like they do in front of exit rows). Next time open up your wallet for one of those exit row seats that's the front of two exit rows so both you and the seat in front of you can't recline. Or go fly Spirit or Frontier where I'm assuming no seats recline.

That said, I think the safety rules should be followed! don't recline until 10k feet or whatever!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #13658 on: September 20, 2021, 12:50:09 PM »
frontier seats recline. no idea on spirit.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13659 on: September 20, 2021, 12:56:19 PM »

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13660 on: September 20, 2021, 12:57:51 PM »
I'm more reclining shouldn't happen kinda guy on most flights, but exceptions can be made. Most flights that are sub 3 hours you shouldn't feel any sort of need to recline, or being an ass about anything. You're an adult and you can make it. Youi obviously can recline back, but it just seems unnecessary on short flights. If it's longer than 3 hours than recline away, but within the rules/safety.

Still reminds me not of a reclining issue but a lack of AC issue on a flight from Denver to KC a few years back, and sure, was it uncomfortable? Yes, but like, it's barely an hour, but there was this woman next to me that just kept making it be an issue and was giving the flight attendants the business the whole preflight and during flight. Which was just awful. The pilots/crew were very clear they were trying to get it fixed before pushback, noticed it was not going to happen, and were very communicative through the whole thing that the AC was not working. I, and like the entire plane shrugged it off and did the best to just deal with it, not that woman. Horrible experience, and albeit not directly related to the recline thing, but it more to me points out short ass flights unless it is life and death just suck it up and shut up and deal with it. Any adult should be able to handle being slightly warmer/uncomfortable than desired for 60 minutes.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13661 on: September 20, 2021, 01:20:25 PM »
I'm more reclining shouldn't happen kinda guy on most flights, but exceptions can be made. Most flights that are sub 3 hours you shouldn't feel any sort of need to recline, or being an ass about anything. You're an adult and you can make it. Youi obviously can recline back, but it just seems unnecessary on short flights. If it's longer than 3 hours than recline away, but within the rules/safety.

pretty reasonable but I think that goes both ways. you can deal with someone encroaching in your space by 2 inches for that flight from denver to kc

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13662 on: September 20, 2021, 08:52:28 PM »
People are under no legal or moral obligation to return shopping carts to the nearest cart corral but only assholes don’t.

I’ve reclined the seat nobody was behind me and it adds so little additional comfort that I don’t even understand the point of having the option.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #13663 on: September 20, 2021, 09:05:48 PM »
People are under no legal or moral obligation to return shopping carts to the nearest cart corral but only assholes don’t.

I’ve reclined the seat nobody was behind me and it adds so little additional comfort that I don’t even understand the point of having the option.

Yeah I never do it, I don't get the point either.

I don't care if someone in front of me does though.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13664 on: September 20, 2021, 09:11:57 PM »

There are signs everywhere asking you to return your cart. Aldi gives you your quarter back if you return the cart. There's a clear, communicated expectation that the cart goes to a designated spot when you're done.

I've never read a sign or heard a flight attendant tell folks to not recline except during takeoff and landing.

You're right about it but adding much benefit though.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13665 on: September 20, 2021, 09:26:29 PM »

There are signs everywhere asking you to return your cart. Aldi gives you your quarter back if you return the cart. There's a clear, communicated expectation that the cart goes to a designated spot when you're done.

I've never read a sign or heard a flight attendant tell folks to not recline except during takeoff and landing.

You're right about it but adding much benefit though.

It does make it slightly harder for me to type away at my laptop, as I have to move my elbows back and slap the floor like Jon Scheyer getting ready to take a charge. Thankfully, I'm not fat enough for it to become a major problem. I certainly don't mind forcefully grabbing the top of the recliner's seat in a possibly passive-aggressive manner for a standing assist that doesn't show up in the box score if I need to get up for any reason, though (I'm sitting in the aisle, of course). The seats in stowage are already cramped enough as it is. I have no idea how you truly tall people can put up with the additional burden interposed by the recliners of the world. Then again, aren't you the same person who would have no qualms about bringing piping hot (microwaved, week-old) Indian food onto an overbooked Southwest flight?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13666 on: September 21, 2021, 03:14:13 PM »
my legs are long enough that they don’t allow for the seat in front of me to recline, I just have to be in the seat before the reclining passenger.  i’ve had several people sitting in front of not figure out why their seats weren’t going back.  yolo bro

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #13667 on: September 23, 2021, 04:03:48 PM »
Using points both through Delta and Southwest, we booked all 3 of us roundtrip down to Perdido Key, FL for $800 for Thanksgiving week. That's quite the deal! :gocho:

Also, sucks having to pay for our kid now on flights.  :Yuck:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13668 on: September 23, 2021, 04:26:35 PM »
i also sometimes refer to official US dollars as "points" for the lulz

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13669 on: September 23, 2021, 05:33:01 PM »
Midwestern people find more damn towns in Florida to visit.  It's like my weekly discovery of a new KS tiny town.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13670 on: September 23, 2021, 06:51:57 PM »
My brother lives in Northeast Louisiana. That’s like the beach destination for the dirty south (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, etc.). His clients always give us a free place to stay right off the beach there. It’s a no brainer for him.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 10:00:56 PM by 420seriouscat69 »

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13671 on: September 23, 2021, 07:27:36 PM »
My brother lives in Northeast Louisiana. That’s like the beach destination for the dirty south (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, etc.). His clients always give us a free play to stay right off the beach there. It’s a no brainer for him.

Northeast Louisiana? You sure about that, stud?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13672 on: September 23, 2021, 08:56:38 PM »
My brother lives in Northeast Louisiana. That’s like the beach destination for the dirty south (Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, etc.). His clients always give us a free play to stay right off the beach there. It’s a no brainer for him.

Northeast Louisiana? You sure about that, stud?
I’m afraid I’m getting Spracne’d here and I’m missing a joke. :curse:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #13673 on: September 23, 2021, 09:00:19 PM »
the north part of LA isn't the beach part is what I'm thinking they are saying. but I'm not sure you are saying it's an actual beach or just comparing the draw of it to a beach destination ("that's like the beach destination"). maybe they are the ones getting ZAPP'D soon?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13674 on: September 23, 2021, 09:17:59 PM »
the north part of LA isn't the beach part is what I'm thinking they are saying. but I'm not sure you are saying it's an actual beach or just comparing the draw of it to a beach destination ("that's like the beach destination"). maybe they are the ones getting ZAPP'D soon?

I'm legit trying to figure it out, because I don't live too far from Northern Looosiana. Interesting theory regarding some form of analogy, but how do you square this, though? -- "His clients always give us a free play [sic] to stay right off the beach there."