Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1334217 times)

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #13625 on: September 11, 2021, 12:59:34 AM »
Thanks man, should be a wonderful time.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #13626 on: September 16, 2021, 09:51:49 AM »
Gonna fly with our 11month old next month. Any tips are appreciated. Already purchased his own seat and light cheap carseat. picked a nonstop southwest flight.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #13627 on: September 16, 2021, 09:55:26 AM »
Gonna fly with our 11month old next month. Any tips are appreciated. Already purchased his own seat and light cheap carseat. picked a nonstop southwest flight.

that's really the best protips right there. they do so much better in a carseat at that age. make sure you tell the flight attendant standing there as you board that the baby is ticketed or they'll give you the business about the carseat. can't put it in exit rows or the rows before or after the exit rows. Also they are somtimes a PITA to get buckled in so I would always get early check in or whatever they call it and go on ahead of my wife and baby with the seat. That way I could get it buckled into the window seat (they have to be in the window seat iirc) without my wife and kid holding up the line behind them waiting for me. then you hold the seats and tell anyone SEAT'S TAKEN! as they give you the evil eye. the flight attendants very much appreciate this strategy in my experience, sometimes they'll ask "where's the baby" as you go by and I would tell them. Got so I would just tell them proactively "baby is ticketed and will be coming with my wife in family boarding but I didn't want to hold up the line getting this thing buckled in".

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13628 on: September 16, 2021, 10:01:28 AM »
will be flying with a 9 month old (and wife) next june. went the route of two first-class seats. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13629 on: September 16, 2021, 10:02:25 AM »
will be flying with a 9 month old (and wife) next june. went the route of two first-class seats.

lmao at the rest of the first class passengers being all pissy when the baby cries or makes even a tiny sound. drink your third shooter of grey goose and mind ya business old lady/man.

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13630 on: September 16, 2021, 10:09:11 AM »

lmao at the rest of the first class passengers being all pissy when the baby cries or makes even a tiny sound. drink your third shooter of grey goose and mind ya business old lady/man.

Yeah should have just bought the baby it's own seat instead.  As stated in previous replies having the car seat on board is a game changer...

Speaking of, we just did a week in Maui with our 14 month old.  Didn't have to buy him his own seat because the flight wasn't full, so we were able to take the car seat on.  I had previously upgraded to extra comfort and booked the window\aisle seats hoping no one would take the middle.  It worked out great!

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13631 on: September 16, 2021, 10:09:54 AM »
it's gonna be great  :frown:

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13632 on: September 16, 2021, 10:28:34 AM »

that's really the best protips right there. they do so much better in a carseat at that age. make sure you tell the flight attendant standing there as you board that the baby is ticketed or they'll give you the business about the carseat. can't put it in exit rows or the rows before or after the exit rows. Also they are somtimes a PITA to get buckled in so I would always get early check in or whatever they call it and go on ahead of my wife and baby with the seat. That way I could get it buckled into the window seat (they have to be in the window seat iirc) without my wife and kid holding up the line behind them waiting for me. then you hold the seats and tell anyone SEAT'S TAKEN! as they give you the evil eye. the flight attendants very much appreciate this strategy in my experience, sometimes they'll ask "where's the baby" as you go by and I would tell them. Got so I would just tell them proactively "baby is ticketed and will be coming with my wife in family boarding but I didn't want to hold up the line getting this thing buckled in".

Early Bird check in? Where you can check in 36 hours ahead of time? Then you're allowed to get on the place ahead of most everyone else?
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13633 on: September 16, 2021, 10:31:34 AM »

Early Bird check in? Where you can check in 36 hours ahead of time? Then you're allowed to get on the place ahead of most everyone else?

Yeah, you'll get in with A group (99% of the time). Then your wife and kid can board with family boarding in between A and B.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13634 on: September 16, 2021, 10:35:50 AM »
 :thumbs: ty

Really trying to minimize the amount of crap we bring and check so the shuttle to the car rental place isn't a PITA.
- chunkles

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13635 on: September 16, 2021, 10:38:32 AM »

Really trying to minimize the amount of crap we bring and check so the shuttle to the car rental place isn't a PITA.

Another pro tip... Shuttle to the rental car place first yourself with a couple of bags, then swing back around and pick up the wife and kid and the rest of the luggage.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13636 on: September 16, 2021, 10:39:40 AM »
tablet and big, soft, over the ear earphones. We've had the wired version of these leapfrog headphones for 3 kids over 10 years and they are the best

And yes, the car seat is a great call, although we always gate checked ours because all three of our kids at that age were very calm and comfortable cuddling with my wife. The car rental companies charge an insane amount of money to use their car seats.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13637 on: September 16, 2021, 10:41:35 AM »

Another pro tip... Shuttle to the rental car place first yourself with a couple of bags, then swing back around and pick up the wife and kid and the rest of the luggage.

I think this really depends on the airport. I previously mentioned Las Vegas, 100% don't do this there, your wife is going to be pissed that you left them at the airport for 90 minutes.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13638 on: September 16, 2021, 10:43:52 AM »

I think this really depends on the airport. I previously mentioned Las Vegas, 100% don't do this there, your wife is going to be pissed that you left them at the airport for 90 minutes.

PHX
- chunkles

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13639 on: September 16, 2021, 10:45:09 AM »

Ha good point!  My recent experience in Maui this helped a ton.  But also baggage claim is right inside the door of arrival pickups.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13640 on: September 16, 2021, 11:07:24 AM »

PHX

PHX is another airport where the rental car facility is like 40 miles away. i don't have any offspring but leaving your wife there sounds less than ideal in this case

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13641 on: September 16, 2021, 11:12:08 AM »
Mommy blog over here.

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13642 on: September 16, 2021, 11:55:09 AM »

PHX

PHX is another airport where the rental car facility is like 40 miles away. i don't have any offspring but leaving your wife there sounds less than ideal in this case

I dunno... taking an unvaccinated baby on your lap in a crowded shuttle for 40 miles sounds worse.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13644 on: September 16, 2021, 12:14:28 PM »
you just took your unvaccinated baby on a crowded airplane for 3 hours.  :confused:

i promise you the round trip to get the rental car at phx will take 60 mins

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13645 on: September 16, 2021, 12:19:57 PM »
you just took your unvaccinated baby on a crowded airplane for 3 hours.  :confused:

I am guessing masks aren't mandated on rental car shuttles, but could be I guess.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13646 on: September 16, 2021, 12:25:50 PM »

I am guessing masks aren't mandated on rental car shuttles, but could be I guess.
They usually are, though if a state is not going to mandate it that state would be AZ for sure

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13647 on: September 16, 2021, 03:36:14 PM »
I just took a shuttle to the rental car place in Phoenix four months ago. It took ten minutes tops. 

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13648 on: September 16, 2021, 03:46:19 PM »
thanks rick yeah it's not that bad. go nuts, WW

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13649 on: September 16, 2021, 04:11:47 PM »
even it took 40 minutes to get the car I think spending it at the airport with a baby would be way better than airport/shuttle/rental car line