Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1357221 times)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #13550 on: August 13, 2021, 05:17:08 AM »
Yellowstone is insane.  Best thing in the US, imo. 

Hiking around the Tetons tomorrow.

It really is

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13551 on: August 13, 2021, 05:47:31 AM »
Yellowstone is insane.  Best thing in the US, imo. 

i went back there three years ago, definitely feeling like i was too wilderness adept for school.  and yes, it's completely ridiculous with all the people and facilities and paved roads and whatnot.  but it's also just so rough ridin' stuffed full of animals.  i rough ridin' loved it.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #13552 on: August 16, 2021, 12:39:44 PM »
yellowstone RECAP:

Left KC on Tuesday at about 3 pm and got into the hotel in Cheyenne about 11:30 IIRC.  Got up early on Wednesday and made the ~6 hour drive to Jackson Hole.  Our little cabin in JH was cool and relatively cheap - little kitchenette, bathroom, queen bed, pullout couch:

Goofed off the rest of the day Wednesday meandering around Jackson Hole -- which is actually much smaller than I anticipated.  The food is elite and would be happy to provide recommendos.

Woke up and did a tour of Yellowstone's Southern Loop on Thursday.  We were a little disappointed we didn't see any moose.  Saw old faithful - here's an artsy fartsy shot:

I think the grand prismatic spring is the coolest thing I saw on the trip:

The views in Yellowstone are just totally overwhelming.  It blows my mind that there's this much "stuff" within a ~25 mile radius

Watch out big fella!

On Friday we went to the Tetons and hiked around Jenny lake which was delightful.  I think our route was about 10 miles, but pretty easy hiking:

If we had to do it over again, we would've been prepared to get in the lake and swim some or rent a kayak or something, which apparently you can do.  It was really hot.  One thing, when we were hiking some people passed us and were like "hey there's a black bear up there near the trail."  We pressed on because we didn't really want to backtrack 6 miles around the lake, and I had bear spray and i'm pretty tough.  Anyway, we didn't see the bear but I'm sure we were within 25 yards of it at some point.  Side note, don't buy bear spray at the supermarket because they jack up the price like crazy.  Who knew.

On Saturday we went whitewater rafting in the morning and went to a rodeo on Saturday night, yeehaw:

I don't know if this is just rodeo culture or what (probably is) but the PA guy at the rodeo was incredible.  I've never heard anyone gush as much about the red white and blue as that guy.  When we were getting ready to sing the national anthem while the lady road around on the horse holding the american flag, this guy gave an announcement that would make howard finkle blush: "And now, ladies and gentlemen, we want to welcome the most important lady at the rodeo, here she comes now, old glory, the red white and blue..."  It was a little strange to hear that much red-meat, unconditioned and unapologetic love for the US of A.  Overall the rodeo was great and would absolutely recommend and will be going to more rodeos in the future.

The actual bull/horse riding itself was crazy.  These guys are like ALMOST dying every time.  And the winners apparently get like 400 bucks or something?

Woke up yesterday morning and were on the road a 5:45.  Listened to the new Killers album as a rainstorm followed us out of the mountains at sunrise, which felt like a religious experience:

Got back to KC at 10:30 last night.  It was a brutal drive to do in one day, but flights/car rentals were stupid expensive.  Anyway, it's a great trip. 
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 01:18:54 PM by DQ12 »

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #13553 on: August 16, 2021, 12:45:43 PM »
Awesome trip. Been 35 years since I was there. Need to get back.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13554 on: August 16, 2021, 06:20:41 PM »
canco the bear spray markup, hopefully a walmart goes in yellowstone, it would probably make a killing

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #13555 on: August 16, 2021, 08:26:15 PM »
That rodeo sounds like an amazing time.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #13556 on: August 16, 2021, 08:34:49 PM »
I’ve been to probably a billion rodeos. I can see how they would be incredibly entertaining if you’d never been to one. I thought they were snoozefests after the first thousand times (bull fighting and crazy bull games they’d play always entertaining obv.)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13557 on: August 16, 2021, 08:35:07 PM »
Dodge City has a bigtime rodeo.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13558 on: August 16, 2021, 08:42:06 PM »
Yellowstone is amazing. Your write up was great. However, this when talking about a possible bear encounter might be the most ridiculous thing I’ve read in 10+ years on this blog.

i'm pretty tough.

I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #13559 on: August 16, 2021, 08:53:27 PM »
I’m tough.  Stand behind me.  I have bear spray and I read the back label while Mrs. Dlew was in a porta potty so that bear didn’t stand a chance.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13560 on: August 17, 2021, 06:10:33 AM »
Black bears aren’t going to mess with you anyway. I think dlew (tough as crap) has this thing handled.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #13561 on: August 17, 2021, 07:50:57 AM »
Like they say "If it's black fight back, if it's brown then crap down your leg because your already dead"

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13562 on: August 17, 2021, 08:17:25 AM »
DQ thank you for the pics and write-up  :thumbs:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13563 on: August 17, 2021, 08:23:56 AM »
the replies to this good tweet are so good (travel relevant)

https://twitter.com/janky_jane/status/1426981976142123010

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13564 on: August 17, 2021, 08:49:57 AM »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13565 on: August 17, 2021, 09:39:01 AM »

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13566 on: August 19, 2021, 07:32:13 AM »
Hot take - beaches are massively overrated

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13567 on: August 19, 2021, 08:14:50 AM »

Hot take disclaimer - with little kids they are appropriately rated. little kids love the living crap out of beaches.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #13568 on: August 19, 2021, 08:15:55 AM »
:facepalm:

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #13569 on: August 19, 2021, 08:22:56 AM »
Depends on the beach really. Stunz, have you been down to phuket?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13570 on: August 19, 2021, 08:25:06 AM »
I've found my beach enjoyment is strongly correlated to how much schlepping I have to do

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13571 on: August 19, 2021, 08:32:30 AM »
I have never once eaten anything other than snacks on a plane or even considered eating a full meal/entreee. Is it that hard to scarf down a sandwich before you board?

OK today I have a good example for why bringing a meal on the plane is good. Been in NYC the past couple of weeks so fully adjusted to Eastern time, but I'm flying EWR-SFO today. Leaves at 4:30 Eastern, lands at 7:24 Pacific. Figure I'll leave the apartment around 2, not long after lunch. But am I going to have a full meal at the airport? No, that would be stupid because I just ate lunch! Do I want to wait until SF to eat dinner? No, that would be like eating at ~11:30pm Eastern once I finally get somewhere!

So the solution is to get one of those dang cobb salads and some chips and eat it on the flight around 8:00 Eastern/5:00 Pacific. start the transition back to Pacific time, but don't starve in the process.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #13572 on: August 19, 2021, 08:33:10 AM »
I've found my beach enjoyment is strongly correlated to how much schlepping I have to do

That and access to adequate shade and drinks. I love the crap out of the beach, but carrying a days worth of crap a mile and being in the direct sun all day makes it tough. May as well hike in the woods and eff that crap, there are bugs in the woods.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13573 on: August 19, 2021, 08:33:42 AM »
i wonder if there is any correlation between beach enjoyment and proclivity for taking naps.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13574 on: August 19, 2021, 08:41:30 AM »
We once rented a wagon with giant sand wheels. Loaded it down with rented beach umbrellas, chairs, toys, and everything else. Easier than carrying stuff. Also more comfortable time on the beach with all that gear.