Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1351431 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #12975 on: April 21, 2021, 01:18:36 PM »
michigan / mackinac island pro tips plz

Have an olive burger!

i can't tell if you're kidding but either way don't care, i'm going to have an olive burger.

it's a thing! and it's a thing I've never seen anywhere but Michigan!

And I never actually went to Mackinac, but the Lake Michigan coast is absolutely beautiful in the summer and fall.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12976 on: April 21, 2021, 01:24:19 PM »
Variants are the issue with not meeting herd immunity.  Large groups of unchipped dumb dumbs allow a large opportunity for future mutations over time and one of those little fucks might be better than my chip.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #12977 on: April 21, 2021, 01:30:41 PM »
Starting to plan my Kauai trip and looking for recommendations. Staying at the Grand Hyatt and honestly I don't give a crap if I just sit there all day every day and chill, but I figure I should prob do a couple of things for the kids. Any tips? I've never been to Hawaii. Someone said I should rent a Jeep and drive around??? Not sure about this as I don't just want to roam around in a car all day. We are not in to hiking so maybe just a trip to a cool beach town for some non resort beach time and good food? Maybe a morning boat trip or something? As you can tell, I have no idea so I'll take about any recommendation or tips for those that have been, especially food recommendations. Thanks

How old are the kids? Great things I can vouch for as being great:

- https://www.napali.com/. We've done the snorkel sail and dinner sail on different trips. You'll get an assload of dolphins riding your bow on the morning one and it's pretty incredible. Dinner sail is super chill and views are incred. Despite the photos kids would definitely enjoy it too. The view of the Napali coast from these sails are probably the coolest scenic views on the planet.

- Kalalau trail on the north side. Start the hike and get as far as the beach unless your kids are older and hardcore.

- Near that trail head is my favorite beach and beach town on Kauai, Hanalei. It's the absolute longest drive you can make from your hotel but the island is tiny and it's a very chill and scenic drive. We'd usually drive up here twice per week we'd stay and spend the day either hiking at Kalalau or hanging out on the beach and in Hanalei.

- https://www.theshopsatkukuiula.com/. Cool shopping area near the Hyatt with a lot of good food and a nice little grocery/prepared food store we stopped at for coffee and to get food for the day each morning. They'd have live bands and stuff in the evenings sometimes. Merriman's is here and is good but not the same experience as the Maui location because it's not on the water.

I'll think of more stuff later

Oh man, this is great. keep it coming. Kids are 8-9. This brings up another question. Should I rent a car? Can I get one for like the day? I didn't really consider it before since we were mainly resorting it and only there for 5 days. Hanalei is exactly something I would be down for. I love little beach towns. Hitting the beach and then going into town for food and drinks is my jam. I would love to do this a day or 2. Thanks again.
What SD said but also my favorite beach is Polihale on the west side. It's kinda remote (fun drive in the jeep!) but like you'll probably have it basically to yourself and it's beautiful. Good body surfing oppo.

And obvs take the kids to get puka dogs at some point. It's in Poipu v close to the Grand Hyatt

A lot of these words seem like a trick.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #12978 on: April 21, 2021, 01:50:20 PM »
Hey SF, grab me a jar of Aunty Lilikoi’s passion fruit wasabi mustard while you’re there.  Thanks.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12979 on: April 21, 2021, 08:21:04 PM »
i think this year is probably a pretty good year to visit international destinations.  if you're lucky you can get in before travelers from some slower to vaccinate countries are able to go and you may miss some crowds.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12980 on: April 22, 2021, 12:05:13 AM »
i think this year is probably a pretty good year to visit international destinations.  if you're lucky you can get in before travelers from some slower to vaccinate countries are able to go and you may miss some crowds.

You may be right depending on the destination but I would want to book as late as possible

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #12981 on: April 22, 2021, 01:42:29 PM »
New business idea. Car rental places in Hawaii or other island places. This free trip is starting to get expensive.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12982 on: April 22, 2021, 03:06:42 PM »
New business idea. Car rental places in Hawaii or other island places. This free trip is starting to get expensive.
Yeah a friend just went to the big island for spring break and there were absolutely no cars available.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #12983 on: April 22, 2021, 03:18:25 PM »
Yeah a friend just went to the big island for spring break and there were absolutely no cars available.
When we flew into Ft. Myers about a month ago for our vacation in Marco, my in-laws had a car reserved, but had to wait 8 hours to get a car, because they were out. It was insane. Wasted a whole day for them.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #12984 on: April 22, 2021, 03:52:55 PM »

I thought the Avis site was just messed up. I called and they typed for like 10 minutes and then came back and said, "yep, we're out". I was like, "All cars, you don't have any cars at all?". "yes sir". Ok thanks. I ended up finding a Jeep through Expedia for like $1300 for the week. No idea if i'll even get it, but I got a confirm from Dollar.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12985 on: April 22, 2021, 03:54:43 PM »
Probably another reason Hawaii doesn't do much for me. Too car dependant.

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12986 on: April 22, 2021, 04:40:06 PM »
Has anyone had any experience using Turo for renting cars?  Heading to Maui in Sept and the cars seem much cheaper that way.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #12987 on: April 22, 2021, 04:49:40 PM »
Has anyone had any experience using Turo for renting cars?  Heading to Maui in Sept and the cars seem much cheaper that way.

I was thinking about this and hope someone will chime in. I'd like to just have a car for a day or two if its easy. I went ahead and booked for the whole week just to ensure I have something, but it would be nice to just pay for a couple of days that we will venture off resort.

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12988 on: April 22, 2021, 05:59:56 PM »

I was thinking about this and hope someone will chime in. I'd like to just have a car for a day or two if its easy. I went ahead and booked for the whole week just to ensure I have something, but it would be nice to just pay for a couple of days that we will venture off resort.

From my limited research it seems that insurance can be a problem renting through Turo.  To get insurance through them it is pretty expensive, so it doesn't really make it any cheaper than a rental car company.  No credit card will cover a Turo rental, and it looks like most, if not all, personal insurance companies won't cover it either.  I know State Farm doesn't for sure, it looks like Geico might.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12989 on: April 22, 2021, 06:33:16 PM »
Probably another reason Hawaii doesn't do much for me. Too car dependant.

I was thinking about something I didn't like about Hawaii and it was the fact that I felt like an invader and unwelcome in general. And when you know anything about Hawaii's history you can kinda understand the bitterness they have.

For whatever reason, I don't get the same feeling in Mexico - in Mexico you're a guest doing business. In Hawaii you're someone that mumped over/slaughtered/conquered the native population.

:Rusty:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12990 on: April 22, 2021, 07:38:46 PM »
lmao I have never gotten that feeling at all. Maybe I’m an oblivious white POS though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12991 on: April 22, 2021, 07:41:00 PM »
lmao I have never gotten that feeling at all. Maybe I’m an oblivious white POS though.

We also did a Road to Hana app that was great and on the way back it was basically a Hawaiian history podcast that was really informative but pretty depressing at the same time. Also we were sort of part of the early pandemic crowd which may have made a bit of an impact.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #12992 on: April 22, 2021, 07:48:20 PM »

We also did a Road to Hana app that was great and on the way back it was basically a Hawaiian history podcast that was really informative but pretty depressing at the same time. Also we were sort of part of the early pandemic crowd which may have made a bit of an impact.

Staying woke

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12993 on: April 22, 2021, 08:44:24 PM »
Road to Hana.  :jerk:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12994 on: April 22, 2021, 09:09:20 PM »
Road to Hana.  :jerk:

I don't know if I would do it again but it was worth doing once. And the seven sacred pools was very cool imo. easy walk/hike for kids as well.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12995 on: April 22, 2021, 09:35:23 PM »
Yeah there's like six things to do in Maui, it was great.

I also probably wouldn't do it again.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12996 on: April 22, 2021, 09:36:50 PM »

Staying woke
Saying "woke" to own the libs

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12997 on: April 23, 2021, 09:27:20 AM »

Staying woke
Saying "woke" to own the libs
LMAO

https://twitter.com/orlandosentinel/status/1385581448363716608

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12998 on: April 23, 2021, 09:28:59 AM »
The next time I ride Jungle Cruise I will not be thinking about the gloriously entertaining puns of the skippers, I will be thinking about Disney’s political agenda. That’s a mood killer.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12999 on: April 23, 2021, 09:29:54 AM »
I certainly want my family friendly cartoon based amusement parks to be a little more edgy as well
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite