Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1334552 times)

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #12825 on: March 17, 2021, 10:22:44 AM »
Thanks for the info guys. The Hyatt looks great and I was ready to book it until I found out how much of a pain in the balls it is to get to and from Hawaii (mostly from). I'm probably passing.
What is the hard part? Jet lag?

All of the flights back are overnight or you fly back to CA and then leave the next day. All that seems rough with young kids. Still debating.

if you do MCI looks like Alaska has a one-day option but still a pretty long day.

I had a friend who flew SW through Oakland and hung out with me for a night each way.

but agree with Phil on Mexico for beaches. Cheaper, easier travel, better food. Probably not as good if you want to like hike and adventure though

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #12826 on: March 17, 2021, 10:43:51 AM »
I can't sleep on planes  :frown:

I broke this streak but it took ORD > HKG + business class lay flat (not long enough) seats + booze + Melatonin

I can't sleep on planes either, in coach. I've only flown in lay flat seats a couple times and I was able to sleep a bit.  In coach I can maybe, MAYBE, get some version of half asleep coma thing going for an hour or so, but I usually end up watching movies the entire time. I once watched 5 movies in a row on a flight home from Africa.  That was zero fun.
flight to london I feel asleep and the stewardess bumped me with her cart  :blank:

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #12827 on: March 17, 2021, 11:57:05 AM »
Thanks for the info guys. The Hyatt looks great and I was ready to book it until I found out how much of a pain in the balls it is to get to and from Hawaii (mostly from). I'm probably passing.

All of the flights back are overnight or you fly back to CA and then leave the next day. All that seems rough with young kids. Still debating.

if you do MCI looks like Alaska has a one-day option but still a pretty long day.

I had a friend who flew SW through Oakland and hung out with me for a night each way.

but agree with Phil on Mexico for beaches. Cheaper, easier travel, better food. Probably not as good if you want to like hike and adventure though

This is our probable plan. From HI to San Jose and then out the next day. I think I'm more annoyed that even staying an extra night in CA, I still have a shitty 1 stop SW flight back to KC that basically takes up a whole day including the time change.

Got any Mexico resort recs?

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12828 on: March 17, 2021, 12:03:08 PM »
I can't sleep on planes  :frown:

I broke this streak but it took ORD > HKG + business class lay flat (not long enough) seats + booze + Melatonin

I can't sleep on planes either, in coach. I've only flown in lay flat seats a couple times and I was able to sleep a bit.  In coach I can maybe, MAYBE, get some version of half asleep coma thing going for an hour or so, but I usually end up watching movies the entire time. I once watched 5 movies in a row on a flight home from Africa.  That was zero fun.

I can get a good plane coma on the LAS > MCI flight.  Usually too hung to even watch a movie.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12829 on: March 17, 2021, 01:05:02 PM »

This is our probable plan. From HI to San Jose and then out the next day. I think I'm more annoyed that even staying an extra night in CA, I still have a shitty 1 stop SW flight back to KC that basically takes up a whole day including the time change.

Got any Mexico resort recs?

not really, but I'd just look at all-inclusives in cancun if you're bringing a kid

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #12830 on: March 17, 2021, 09:41:44 PM »
I really want to go to Asia next year and man those flights look so punishing.

I can't imagine doing it in coach or coach+.  Friends on the trip did and said it wasn't horrible but they said they won't do it again in the back of the plane.

dont let delta sit you anywhere near their trashcan unless you want to die of breakfast stromboli air poisoning

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12831 on: March 17, 2021, 10:15:17 PM »
I've flown to Asia in coach many times and it's usually fine. Helps if you're with family and can choose who you sit by (or have an empty flight)

I think I've said this before, but I've determined that I reach maximum discomfort at around 5 hours of a flight. Anything longer and you can get up and walk around and stretch and in general I don't get any more uncomfortable after that. I don't stress about sleeping because the jet lag when you arrive is gonna be a challenge even if you get some sleep on the flight most times - really hard to get the timing and amount of sleep right.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12832 on: March 17, 2021, 10:22:11 PM »
So I just watched a story on the news about Santa Maria, California paying tourists $100 to visit during the pandemic. They mentioned that Santa Maria is "famous for California barbeque," but they didn't even show what that is, just someone on a massive stone grill. So my question is, what is California barbeque?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12833 on: March 17, 2021, 10:31:52 PM »
So I just watched a story on the news about Santa Maria, California paying tourists $100 to visit during the pandemic. They mentioned that Santa Maria is "famous for California barbeque," but they didn't even show what that is, just someone on a massive stone grill. So my question is, what is California barbeque?
It's all crap

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12834 on: March 17, 2021, 10:32:22 PM »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12835 on: March 18, 2021, 12:47:29 AM »
https://santamariavalley.com/eat-and-drink/

Thanks trim. This link
https://santamariavalley.com/eat-and-drink/santa-maria-barbecue/
doesn't make the meat preparation seem any different than anywhere else that uses a dry rub, unless that wood is unique to Santa Maria. Seems like the uniqueness is due to the very specific sides served, which don't seem great. The meat does look delicious tho.

Online Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12836 on: March 18, 2021, 07:18:58 AM »
https://santamariavalley.com/eat-and-drink/

Thanks trim. This link
https://santamariavalley.com/eat-and-drink/santa-maria-barbecue/
doesn't make the meat preparation seem any different than anywhere else that uses a dry rub, unless that wood is unique to Santa Maria. Seems like the uniqueness is due to the very specific sides served, which don't seem great. The meat does look delicious tho.

Smoking tri-tip is what California is known for.  It's terrible.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12837 on: March 18, 2021, 08:09:43 AM »
I've flown to Asia in coach many times and it's usually fine. Helps if you're with family and can choose who you sit by (or have an empty flight)

I think I've said this before, but I've determined that I reach maximum discomfort at around 5 hours of a flight. Anything longer and you can get up and walk around and stretch and in general I don't get any more uncomfortable after that. I don't stress about sleeping because the jet lag when you arrive is gonna be a challenge even if you get some sleep on the flight most times - really hard to get the timing and amount of sleep right.

I used some jet lag timer calculator to tell me when to go to sleep and for how long.  With only one time traveling with that much time change no idea how well it worked.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12838 on: March 18, 2021, 08:14:03 AM »
I flew to/from asia a little before the pandemic in coach.  On the trip out, I upgraded to the front of coach right behind the wall and it was a pretty solid experience.  On the way back, I wasn't able to upgrade due to using points and a codeshare so I was in the middle of a 3 seat row for 16 hours.  That I would not recommend.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12839 on: March 18, 2021, 08:19:18 AM »
I've flown to hawaii 4 times rt in coach and while it sucked it wasn't the suckiest thing ever. the worst part of the redeye home is the landing in hub and dealing with normal travelers all over the damn place while you groggily drag yourself to your connection home. it is possible to get back on a non-redeye but it's trickier and you blow through the whole day doing it. when traveling with kids I am very adamant that we are going to get a LOT of trip out of the travel time. I'd never got to Hawaii with kids for less than 7 nights unless I was rusty and could get direct flights. I do the same for even domestic trips. we're flying to maine in July and staying 8 nights for similar reasons. if I have to fly into freaking bangor and rent a sled to drive to bar harbor I'm getting some time in.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12840 on: March 18, 2021, 08:56:28 AM »
i am surprised at all the people saying they had to stay an extra night in LA or whatever. there are shitloads of nonstops to MCI from SFO / LAX / PHX / DEN / SEA or wherever

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
travel thread
« Reply #12841 on: March 18, 2021, 08:59:45 AM »
I am old and grumpy now and don’t think I would like a flight to Hawaii with kids. Even though my kids are getting bigger.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12842 on: March 18, 2021, 09:46:47 AM »
i am surprised at all the people saying they had to stay an extra night in LA or whatever. there are shitloads of nonstops to MCI from SFO / LAX / PHX / DEN / SEA or wherever

There are way fewer flights now, I was surprised, too! The only option I saw on the random day I picked required leaving Honolulu at 8am and landing in KC after 11pm.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12843 on: March 18, 2021, 10:05:26 AM »

There are way fewer flights now, I was surprised, too! The only option I saw on the random day I picked required leaving Honolulu at 8am and landing in KC after 11pm.

yeah but people were saying they had to stay an extra night pre-covid, before the airlines reduced their flights

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #12844 on: March 18, 2021, 10:07:21 AM »

South west only offers morning flights to Hawaii I think.  We were going to go before Covid, and we would have had to stay over in Oakland, and leave the next morning from Oakland to Maui.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12845 on: March 18, 2021, 10:10:00 AM »
I just looked at a one way from LIH so the prices are wonky but still. This list goes on for a while before you get to 11pm or later arrival.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12846 on: March 18, 2021, 10:12:46 AM »
Southwest flight to Hawaii is something I don't think I would ever do. And if I did I would be an unbearable bad person to my friends and family about how terrible it was

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12847 on: March 18, 2021, 10:18:58 AM »
Holy hell that Alaska Airlines flight is crazy cheap. Is that a good airline or is it like Frontier, a once great airline that has been stripped down to bolts?

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #12848 on: March 18, 2021, 10:26:59 AM »
I've flown to hawaii 4 times rt in coach and while it sucked it wasn't the suckiest thing ever. the worst part of the redeye home is the landing in hub and dealing with normal travelers all over the damn place while you groggily drag yourself to your connection home. it is possible to get back on a non-redeye but it's trickier and you blow through the whole day doing it. when traveling with kids I am very adamant that we are going to get a LOT of trip out of the travel time. I'd never got to Hawaii with kids for less than 7 nights unless I was rusty and could get direct flights. I do the same for even domestic trips. we're flying to maine in July and staying 8 nights for similar reasons. if I have to fly into freaking bangor and rent a sled to drive to bar harbor I'm getting some time in.

This is what we struggle with. We really aren't a travel family and all hate the "travel" part. If we do go to HI Mrs SF and I have already said we have to give ourselves the time or we will just make it more miserable. This is good advice SD. Thanks

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12849 on: March 18, 2021, 10:34:32 AM »
Holy hell that Alaska Airlines flight is crazy cheap. Is that a good airline or is it like Frontier, a once great airline that has been stripped down to bolts?

It’s a good airline