Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1334967 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #12750 on: January 05, 2021, 11:51:35 AM »
I have never flown Des Moines but can tell you tons of crap about OMA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12751 on: January 05, 2021, 12:09:39 PM »
Which airport is better to fly into/out of?
Omaha or Des Moines?
I moved and now I live smack dab in the middle of both of them, and I fly frequently for work, so what airport do I choose?
Keep in mind, I will spend very little if no time in either city, this is strictly airport related.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Go for the one with the most flights on your preferred airline
So neither of them suck any harder than the other?

I have never been to either...I'm guessing every airport sucks now and you won't want to spend much time at them. you want the most options to get you where you're going.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #12752 on: January 05, 2021, 12:13:17 PM »
I was looking today and SW has some $29 tickets
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #12753 on: January 05, 2021, 12:14:08 PM »
I've used Des Moines a few times. Pretty easy in and out from my experience.

As noted, use the airport with the direct flight when available.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12754 on: January 05, 2021, 12:15:05 PM »
Omaha or Des Moines?
I moved and now I live smack dab in the middle of both of them, and I fly frequently for work, so what airport do I choose?
Keep in mind, I will spend very little if no time in either city, this is strictly airport related.

Why do you have to pick an airport vs. picking whatever flight from/to either airport is most convenient to you each time?  I bet doing the latter for a bit will somewhat quickly lead you to knowing what's available and what you like and making it standard.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12755 on: January 05, 2021, 12:18:29 PM »
i tend to think that planes that are more likely to crash, fly into worse airports.  so i always pick the best airport for that reason.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12756 on: January 05, 2021, 12:22:59 PM »
Omaha or Des Moines?

Not enough to effect your travel experience, no. DSM is smaller and quicker to get in and out of. If you're driving I think parking at DSM is cheaper. They're both miles better than ICT or MCI. If you're looking for an appreciable difference in price, available flights, and amenities, MSP is your next closest and best choice.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12757 on: January 05, 2021, 12:32:26 PM »
I'm flying out of Omaha tomorrow to Austin, neither DSM or OMA have direct flights to Austin, and they both connect through DFW.  I just didn't want to fly Omaha and then decide to try DSM, and find out that it sucks and I shouldn't have done that.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12758 on: January 05, 2021, 12:34:00 PM »
Omaha or Des Moines?

Why do you have to pick an airport vs. picking whatever flight from/to either airport is most convenient to you each time?  I bet doing the latter for a bit will somewhat quickly lead you to knowing what's available and what you like and making it standard.
My employer's travel booking site has you choose a *preferred* airport, which only makes it slightly more inconvenient if I want to choose another airport to depart from.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12759 on: January 05, 2021, 12:34:50 PM »

What insidery info do you have for me?

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12760 on: January 05, 2021, 12:36:02 PM »
i tend to think that planes that are more likely to crash, fly into worse airports.  so i always pick the best airport for that reason.
Same.  I did a search and found out that Omaha is about twice as busy as Des Moines, which is why I chose them initially.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12761 on: January 05, 2021, 12:40:59 PM »
Omaha or Des Moines?

My employer's travel booking site has you choose a *preferred* airport, which only makes it slightly more inconvenient if I want to choose another airport to depart from.

my goodness just change it if you need to. back in the days of travel I did this with SFO and OAK all the time in concur

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12762 on: January 05, 2021, 12:49:25 PM »
Omaha or Des Moines?

my goodness just change it if you need to. back in the days of travel I did this with SFO and OAK all the time in concur
No, it isn't hard to do, it would take like 30 seconds, but I don't want to go to a sucky Des Moines (if it did suck) when I had a perfectly good Omaha to fly out of.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #12763 on: January 05, 2021, 01:04:49 PM »
Omaha or Des Moines?

Not enough to effect your travel experience, no. DSM is smaller and quicker to get in and out of. If you're driving I think parking at DSM is cheaper. They're both miles better than ICT or MCI. If you're looking for an appreciable difference in price, available flights, and amenities, MSP is your next closest and best choice.
If the drive isn't that far, I'd be hammering MSP for all those direct flights. Big fan of direct when I can.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12764 on: January 05, 2021, 01:05:59 PM »

What insidery info do you have for me?

the bar at concourse A used to be hilariously bad but now is way better than B.

If you are doing covered parking when you enter the main south garage go up and then to the end of the second level. Before you enter the north side (of the South Garage, not to be confused with the North Garage) turn left (you aren't supposed to) and there are usually a couple spots right there to park. This is only applicable after Covid as right now you can find spots everywhere.

On that note, just walk across the skyway from the garage if you aren't checking luggage. security is on the second floor and you don't need to go to the first floor.

Again on that note check which concourse you are flying out of ahead of time and park on the South for A and North for B (of the South Garage, never enter the North Garage). There are two skyways so doesn't matter which one you park at. Southwest, United, Allegient on North/B. American, Alaska, Frontier, Delta on South/A.....we used to have Air Canada on B and it was a massive brag because we had an international flight but not anymore :-(

If you are not paying for garage parking use the South Longterm lot. Buses are fast and it's pretty easy. North is just as fast and easy but costs a bit more and I'm not certain why. Right now with Covid it's closed and the garage is the same price.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12765 on: January 05, 2021, 01:07:37 PM »
Omaha or Des Moines?

No, it isn't hard to do, it would take like 30 seconds, but I don't want to go to a sucky Des Moines (if it did suck) when I had a perfectly good Omaha to fly out of.

If you're flying as often as you say and will be in this new home for a bit, it's probably worth it to try each and decide what you like.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12766 on: January 05, 2021, 01:08:23 PM »
Oh, and coffee in A is just generic whatever and is undrinkable imo. I'm not even a coffee snob. B has Scooters so that's a bonus there. Also Godfathers so another win for B. If you need some coffee and are heading to A there is a scooters right outside of security if you want to pause and hammer one.

Also the Hudson News locations are outside of the concourses. Only a "stand" one past security. So if you need to buy like paw patrol minis or whatever for the kids do it before security.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12767 on: January 05, 2021, 01:14:08 PM »
is Godfather's the Herman Cain pizza chain

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
travel thread
« Reply #12768 on: January 05, 2021, 01:21:05 PM »
is Godfather's the Herman Cain pizza chain
That’s a fact. And Omahan Willy Theissen.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #12769 on: January 05, 2021, 01:35:57 PM »
sounds like you and SD could carpool together as well

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12770 on: January 05, 2021, 01:37:42 PM »
which airport terminal has the best pga tour shop?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12771 on: January 05, 2021, 01:52:38 PM »
I live like 2 hours NE from Omaha, so it might be a bit out of the way for him.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12772 on: January 06, 2021, 07:52:03 AM »
I live like 2 hours NE from Omaha, so it might be a bit out of the way for him.

might as well fly SUX if you have to connect

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #12773 on: January 06, 2021, 08:01:39 AM »
Good ole Sioux City, IA!

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #12774 on: January 09, 2021, 06:41:07 PM »
I’m been in the Phoenix area for about a month. Out of over 2100+ restaurants it was rated #1 on travel adviser. Jalapeño margarita, barbacoa green chili enchilada, chicken enchilada, beef tenderloin steak taco.

Was delicious and did not disappoint. Ate outside on the patio. Good way to end a good hiking day. :lick:

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f