Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1334688 times)

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #12475 on: January 23, 2020, 02:10:50 PM »
I'm also sitting on quite a few bonvoy points (thanks travel to rural america)

Are the Sheraton's/marriotts in Kauai any good?

and I think I found a decent airbnb near dubrovnik

so it's looking like,
NOLA work trip in March (need restaurant recommendos)
Mr & Mrs. in Hawaii (or somewhere else?) spring break
1 week July family in Eastern Europe (Prague, Vienna, Czech village where my family originally came from, who else knows)
1 week Dubrovnik with the other two families after we do our backpacking crap

what should a family of 4 do in Eastern Europe? they're like teens now. Only real firm locations are Prague and the village. I don't know if we should just get a car and drive everywhere or what. I've spend quite a bit of time in Berlin for work so I want to go there too because I see things I want to do and know some good places to go already. But I'm really wide open.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12476 on: January 23, 2020, 02:11:17 PM »
going to kauai for 7 nights in july. first time taking my passel of children. have connecting rooms at the grand hyatt. flying first class there on United via sfo. coach back through lax on AA. spending several zillion airline/hotel miles/points.

can you still do the two free Hyatt credit card nights thing for the Grand hyatt?

I think they just give you points now instead of free nights. could be wrong though.

how the hell many points is 14 rough ridin' nights there

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12477 on: January 23, 2020, 02:27:43 PM »
going to kauai for 7 nights in july. first time taking my passel of children. have connecting rooms at the grand hyatt. flying first class there on United via sfo. coach back through lax on AA. spending several zillion airline/hotel miles/points.

can you still do the two free Hyatt credit card nights thing for the Grand hyatt?

I think they just give you points now instead of free nights. could be wrong though.

looks like 350k. you might have literally used a million chase points on that there trip

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12478 on: January 23, 2020, 02:38:17 PM »
iirc the hyatt free night thing was only for category 1-4 properties

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12479 on: January 23, 2020, 02:43:19 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12480 on: January 23, 2020, 02:45:27 PM »
The Marriott/Sheratons are kind of crappy on Kauai. There used to be a St Regis on the north shore but it’s something else now iirc. You should probably just vrbo a small beach shack near Hanalei if it’s just you two. You’d dig the crap out of it.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12481 on: January 23, 2020, 02:46:14 PM »

looks like 350k. you might have literally used a million chase points on that there trip

360k UA, 350k Hyatt, 90k AA.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #12482 on: January 23, 2020, 02:49:31 PM »
The Marriott/Sheratons are kind of crappy on Kauai. There used to be a St Regis on the north shore but it’s something else now iirc. You should probably just vrbo a small beach shack near Hanalei if it’s just you two. You’d dig the crap out of it.

The Westin Princeville was okay when we stayed a couple years ago.  Definitely not the grand hyatt and there’s no beach, but fine if you want to use some points and do some exploring on the north side of the island.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12483 on: January 23, 2020, 03:01:58 PM »

cool. was kinda hoping to use some points since I'll need to drop real cash to stay in Dubrovnik but I'll look.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12484 on: January 24, 2020, 04:03:18 PM »
well here's what I'm dealing with.

This is a trip for my wife's birthday (she wanted the other families, they wanted to go). We settled on Croatia in July because one family does an annual fancy pants sailing trip with another family and were sailing the Adriatic the week after. Well I find two pretty great Airbnb's outside of Dubrovnik that would accommodate all 12 of us the week we discussed (and there aren't a lot of choices). So the other family who can't sit still is like "do we want to stay there all week or also go to this dumb lake 4.5 hours away part of the week?" and someone from the first family is like "yes I want to go to that dumb lake. Also I don't want to go anywhere the boat is going to go." And I'm like "where is the yacht going?" and they don't know yet.

:blank:

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #12485 on: January 24, 2020, 04:09:32 PM »
 :lol:

:Rusty:
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12486 on: January 24, 2020, 08:25:39 PM »
Side note on Germany trip. Flying into Hamburg, but out of Frankfurt. Haven’t booked Return flight yet, as I did business to Hamburg on points, but FRA has a United/Lufthansa direct to ORD coming home.

Question: will I somehow eff myself over by booking a RT flight from FRA-ORD, never intending to take the return flight back to Germany? It is less than half the cost if I book RT instead of one way.
:adios:

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12487 on: January 24, 2020, 08:55:54 PM »
Side note on Germany trip. Flying into Hamburg, but out of Frankfurt. Haven’t booked Return flight yet, as I did business to Hamburg on points, but FRA has a United/Lufthansa direct to ORD coming home.

Question: will I somehow eff myself over by booking a RT flight from FRA-ORD, never intending to take the return flight back to Germany? It is less than half the cost if I book RT instead of one way.
Nothing will happen, I've had to leave for a work trip between legs of a round trip I'd booked and I just didn't do anything because the cancellation fee was more than the price of the ticket

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12488 on: January 25, 2020, 05:42:04 AM »

Wut

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12489 on: January 25, 2020, 06:42:46 AM »
well here's what I'm dealing with.

This is a trip for my wife's birthday (she wanted the other families, they wanted to go). We settled on Croatia in July because one family does an annual fancy pants sailing trip with another family and were sailing the Adriatic the week after. Well I find two pretty great Airbnb's outside of Dubrovnik that would accommodate all 12 of us the week we discussed (and there aren't a lot of choices). So the other family who can't sit still is like "do we want to stay there all week or also go to this dumb lake 4.5 hours away part of the week?" and someone from the first family is like "yes I want to go to that dumb lake. Also I don't want to go anywhere the boat is going to go." And I'm like "where is the yacht going?" and they don't know yet.

:blank:

this is nightmare fuel. Ts&Ps

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12490 on: January 25, 2020, 07:38:28 AM »

Try the frankfurter.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12491 on: January 25, 2020, 07:39:38 AM »

Wut

If you are saying it is silly to worry about, sure. Just wondered about odd questions in customs or whatever.

As to the prices, here is economy, it’s similar for business:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12492 on: January 25, 2020, 07:41:53 AM »

Wut

If you are saying it is silly to worry about, sure. Just wondered about odd questions in customs or whatever.

oh, you're paying with $. thought you meant twice the points. you can leave the seat vacant with no negative consequences.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12493 on: January 25, 2020, 07:42:06 AM »
Have you tried multi-stop

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12494 on: January 25, 2020, 07:43:00 AM »

Wut

oh, you're paying with $. thought you meant twice the points. you can leave the seat vacant with no negative consequences.
Yeah, I don’t have any United points or enough CC points

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12495 on: January 25, 2020, 07:44:06 AM »
Oh nvm you already booked outgoing

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12496 on: January 25, 2020, 09:12:07 AM »
Alright, what are the best hotel points destinations in 2 TERRIBLE cities for points:

Vegas
&
D.C.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12497 on: January 25, 2020, 01:43:35 PM »
Ultimate rewards pay with miles

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12498 on: January 25, 2020, 01:44:28 PM »
You can use Marriott at Cosmo but can almost always find rooms there cheaper than what the points are worth. DC everything is outrageous point redemptions as well.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12499 on: January 27, 2020, 09:15:58 AM »
Might not hurt to create an MLife account if you don't have one and see if they have any screaming room deals.  Last time we were there I booked a room for a couple of nights for next to nothing.
@mikec2w