Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1335250 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #12150 on: September 05, 2019, 08:15:39 PM »
For those who have been to Spain, how would you rank it as a travel destination?
Only been to Barcelona and some Islands, but I enjoyed Spain a lot

I'd be taking wife and two teens. Would that change your evaluation?

I was in Barcelona as a teenager and absolutely loved it.  Food was great and La Rambla was a good time.  It’s actually where I bought my samurai sword.  8MP already said it but Olympic village is really cool and so is Basílica de la Sagrada Família.  I definitely want to go back.

This is on my must do list
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12151 on: September 05, 2019, 09:20:06 PM »
For those who have been to Spain, how would you rank it as a travel destination?
Only been to Barcelona and some Islands, but I enjoyed Spain a lot

I'd be taking wife and two teens. Would that change your evaluation?

I was in Barcelona as a teenager and absolutely loved it.  Food was great and La Rambla was a good time.  It’s actually where I bought my samurai sword.  8MP already said it but Olympic village is really cool and so is Basílica de la Sagrada Família.  I definitely want to go back.

This is on my must do list

I want to go back when it is finished

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #12152 on: September 05, 2019, 10:58:52 PM »

Spain is amazing. So many cool places to visit, especially in the south.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #12153 on: September 05, 2019, 10:59:06 PM »
Going to Orlando next week.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12154 on: September 06, 2019, 07:41:25 AM »

hell yeah son

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #12155 on: September 09, 2019, 06:36:51 PM »
Rooftop beers.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

:thumbs:  We stayed a little south of there.The beach was never that busy last week thanks to the Hurricane. Can't wait to go back.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #12156 on: September 18, 2019, 03:46:00 PM »

Short but sweet, Disney military discount is like 40%

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12157 on: September 19, 2019, 08:24:33 AM »
@WillieWatanabe Nice.  I think that is where we will stay if we go back.  It looked to be a lot newer and nicer.  Got to have a room with a balcony though.
@mikec2w

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12158 on: September 21, 2019, 08:10:24 AM »
Just bought my tickets to Tanzania. Flying Kenya Airways direct from New York to Nairobi and then a quick hop to Kilimanjaro. Used my Chase points and I was impressed how easy that was and what a great deal I got.

I’m booking seperate to New York and gonna head up there the night before our international flight. Trying to decide if we should venture into Manhattan or just hang around JFK.

Over a year of planning and it’s finally here. Flew to New York yesterday and stayed the night. Hit a festival in Little Italy and toured the WTC. Stayed at a nice hotel near LGA in Flushing, the real Chinatown, which was kinda fun.

Flying Kenya Air this afternoon direct to Nairobi. I “won” my bid for an upgrade to business class for my wife and I, by which I mean I paid $2,400 extra to fly in comfort for 14hrs. It’s basically the most expensive hotel room I’ve ever bought, that I will share with 20 other people. But I’m actually going to lay down to sleep on an international flight which sounds marvelous.

Sunday is final trek prep and chilling around Moshi. Monday we start our Kili hike.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12159 on: September 21, 2019, 09:25:00 AM »
Just bought my tickets to Tanzania. Flying Kenya Airways direct from New York to Nairobi and then a quick hop to Kilimanjaro. Used my Chase points and I was impressed how easy that was and what a great deal I got.

I’m booking seperate to New York and gonna head up there the night before our international flight. Trying to decide if we should venture into Manhattan or just hang around JFK.

Over a year of planning and it’s finally here. Flew to New York yesterday and stayed the night. Hit a festival in Little Italy and toured the WTC. Stayed at a nice hotel near LGA in Flushing, the real Chinatown, which was kinda fun.

Flying Kenya Air this afternoon direct to Nairobi. I “won” my bid for an upgrade to business class for my wife and I, by which I mean I paid $2,400 extra to fly in comfort for 14hrs. It’s basically the most expensive hotel room I’ve ever bought, that I will share with 20 other people. But I’m actually going to lay down to sleep on an international flight which sounds marvelous.

Sunday is final trek prep and chilling around Moshi. Monday we start our Kili hike.

I’m very excited for you KSU. I hope your trip is a great one.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12160 on: September 21, 2019, 11:53:23 AM »
Have fun dude
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12161 on: September 21, 2019, 05:39:05 PM »
So happy you got that upgrade. My only 14+ hour flight was in lie flat seats and I can't imagine doing it in normal coach seats.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12162 on: September 21, 2019, 05:42:17 PM »
Okay guys. Go to Portugal as soon as possible if you like the following

* Fresh seafood cheap.
* Inexpensive good wine
* Great cities that are super hilly.

Amazing stuff and so freaking cheap. Great place.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12163 on: September 21, 2019, 05:43:30 PM »
The Country? Or the Man?

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12164 on: September 21, 2019, 05:54:44 PM »
The Country? Or the Man?

This joke was just made and went over the joke receivers head. Sad!

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12165 on: September 22, 2019, 02:58:41 AM »
So happy you got that upgrade. My only 14+ hour flight was in lie flat seats and I can't imagine doing it in normal coach seats.

I’ll be flying coach on the way home so I’ll let you know how it compares. I suspect it’s going to suck, even though the new 787s are supposed to make it slightly less hellish. My observation on business class was that it was “worth” the upgrade but I’d still rather save the $2,400 if that makes any sense. Like I can appreciate it but still would rather save my money. Does make me jealous of the dudes who rack up points traveling for business and can fly like that all the time.

Chilling at a Star Alliance lounge in Nairobi before our final short flight to Kili. Things are about to get a lot tougher but more fun.

Everyone will also be glad to know that so far I’ve kept my perfect streak going closing all my Apple Watch rings, despite the long-ass flight. Necessitated doing a hellish workout yesterday morning, and I’ve got some serious catchup to do this afternoon. Luckily the hotel has a gym. The mountain will be a breeze. The safari will pose my most serious threat: hours upon hours in a Jeep, no gyms or even places to run without risking being eaten by a lion. Maybe I’ll just do burpees and pushups each morning and evening but damn that’s gonna be a lot.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12166 on: September 22, 2019, 07:34:46 AM »
post an absolute assload of pics ksu!

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12167 on: September 22, 2019, 12:35:11 PM »
Kili was mostly obscured by clouds today. Hopefully will get lots of pics tomorrow. For now...

This is a Tanzanian Gin & Tonic. Double of gin, mix in your own tonic, and no ice (I already miss ice). But, this costs 4,000 shillings, or about $1.75. We could live like royalty here.

My pre-trek hotel. Best digs in Moshi.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 12:39:46 PM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12168 on: September 22, 2019, 05:52:32 PM »
would be pretty cool to go somewhere and pay for crap with shillings

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12169 on: September 22, 2019, 05:57:59 PM »
Not going to lie that foot is one of the best I’ve seen on this blog or anywhere else.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12170 on: September 22, 2019, 07:35:25 PM »
would be pretty cool to go somewhere and pay for crap with shillings
It's no ducat, but it's solid.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12171 on: September 22, 2019, 09:07:29 PM »
I can tell you that it sucks. DFW to Tokyo by the window with two large people beside me who slept the entire flight.

And a 10 hour flight from Germany to DFW next to a nice Indian man with smelly feet and holes in his socks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #12172 on: September 23, 2019, 01:42:55 PM »
Anyone ever stay at a Yotel? I'm going to New York for work from November 30th-December 4th and staying in Manhattan near the event. I heard they're kinda cool.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12173 on: September 23, 2019, 01:59:47 PM »
I can tell you that it sucks. DFW to Tokyo by the window with two large people beside me who slept the entire flight.

And a 10 hour flight from Germany to DFW next to a nice Indian man with smelly feet and holes in his socks.

I got a business upgrade on a domestic flight not long ago and the woman next to me decided to use the wider seats as an opportunity to take off her flip flops and put her bare feet facing the center armrest that was shared to place drinks on before takeoff. It was up there with any grossness I've experienced in coach.

Side note: Lufthansa Premium Economy is a great deal. I think I was able to pay $400 for FRA/SFO and those seats are about the same as business in the US. $1000+ for a 10 hour flight even if it's lie flat seems like an awful lot though (if it's my money)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12174 on: September 23, 2019, 02:43:49 PM »

I got a business upgrade on a domestic flight not long ago and the woman next to me decided to use the wider seats as an opportunity to take off her flip flops and put her bare feet facing the center armrest that was shared to place drinks on before takeoff. It was up there with any grossness I've experienced in coach.
this only happened because you let it

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.