Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1348391 times)

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #11775 on: April 04, 2019, 10:01:04 AM »
The A gates at ORD are quite hard to get to.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11776 on: April 04, 2019, 10:04:54 AM »
The A gates at ORD are quite hard to get to.
:eye:
:adios:

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #11777 on: April 04, 2019, 10:24:39 AM »
I'm really in a idfag about rental car situations anymore. Always hated the entire process. I just rideshare/public transport everywhere unless i'm going someplace super podunk
That's a good point. I went SDF to ATL a couple months ago. No rental car. Just Uber or a Lime scooter. Was a great downtown experience.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
travel thread
« Reply #11778 on: April 04, 2019, 10:36:21 AM »
Speaking of lime scooters the gas lamp in San Diego has roughly a 400 scooter per city block concentration. You have to wind around on the sidewalk to avoid tripping over them. It’s a rough ridin' train wreck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11779 on: April 04, 2019, 10:38:37 AM »
I flew RyanAir from London (no, not LHR) to Basel for like $40. It was like flying in a giant, shared hostel dormitory. One dude had a cat.

I have to fly easyJet, for work, every year from London Gatwick to Krakow and it's a crap show from start to finish. The bag check is a conveyor belt with like a dozen kiosks and like three employees. The conveyor stays getting stuck. Then they don't post the gate until 30 minutes before boarding. Want to get food, eff you. They don't have jet bridges so you have to board on the tarmac, no matter the airport. The boarding process isn't for boarding the plane, it's for boarding a bus that takes you to a plane then you walk up ladders to get on the plane, like it's rough ridin' 1958. The planes are always full and the smallest euro seats you can ever imagine. Getting to Krakow and experiencing their eastern bloc paramilitary boarder guards with machine guns is always a relief.
I was flying Lufthansa last month and had to do the same bus thing in both Frankfurt and Munich. Also done it with ANA in Narita.

I've used both Frankfurt and Munich on Lufthansa and never had to do that. But my flights out of Germany are always back to Chicago so I'd imagine maybe it has something to do with plane size.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11780 on: April 04, 2019, 10:41:20 AM »
Which ORD terminal are you in that makes you think Midway is comparatively better?  T5 is awful, but the AA Terminal is pretty great.  United terminal might be bad, but I’ve only been there a couple times

I spend so much time in concourse C (worst concourse) that I can tell you when the goose island bar clears out for departures each evening and the two old guy bartenders know my name. C sucks ass but I love it anyway. also ORD will be a million times better when the train is done (should be about 25 years from now based solely on the union working hour jokes from the airport employees)

Ugh, C sucks so bad and I'm always there. I imagine you're flying United from ORD to Omaha? I'm always in c flying United to DSM. The good news is that I never fly into C so I can at least get some Garrett p'corn going into that horror show.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11781 on: April 04, 2019, 10:43:26 AM »
I did end up in the international terminal last weekend and it was hot garbage.  That said, it's much better than midway, overall.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11782 on: April 04, 2019, 10:44:03 AM »
C does suck ass.  Sorry sd.

So last Friday I flew out of ORD, was downtown to Admirals Club in 45 minutes seemed pretty great to me.  This isn't always my experience, but more often than not.  Traffic is the only variable than makes more than a 5-10 minute difference.

I'm not talking about the train-train. I'm talking about the airport train. bussing to the rental cars, international terminal, etc. sucks an entire ass.
I've had to wait outside in the winter for this stupid ass bus 4 times and motion sickness always gets me because the road is crap and the drivers drive like assholes.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #11783 on: April 04, 2019, 10:49:34 AM »
Speaking of San Diego. I'm going there for 2.5 days of meetings. Going to extend Thurs thru Sun. Any must sees? Not doing the Navy thing. I've seen enough ships in my lifetime. Hard pass on the zoo.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #11784 on: April 04, 2019, 10:52:18 AM »
I like going to that rooftop bar in SD (In a hotel maybe?) that over looks the Padre stadium. Feels pretty elite.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11785 on: April 04, 2019, 11:00:43 AM »
Tijuana bud
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11786 on: April 04, 2019, 11:49:14 AM »
Pacific ocean.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11787 on: April 04, 2019, 12:33:06 PM »
Which ORD terminal are you in that makes you think Midway is comparatively better?  T5 is awful, but the AA Terminal is pretty great.  United terminal might be bad, but I’ve only been there a couple times

I spend so much time in concourse C (worst concourse) that I can tell you when the goose island bar clears out for departures each evening and the two old guy bartenders know my name. C sucks ass but I love it anyway. also ORD will be a million times better when the train is done (should be about 25 years from now based solely on the union working hour jokes from the airport employees)

Ugh, C sucks so bad and I'm always there. I imagine you're flying United from ORD to Omaha? I'm always in c flying United to DSM. The good news is that I never fly into C so I can at least get some Garrett p'corn going into that horror show.

Yep, they've got a 7:15'ish departure which always fits my schedule. Also never fly into C. Always fly American in, United out. Would fly American out if their flight didn't leave at 10 PM.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11788 on: April 04, 2019, 12:35:42 PM »
Speaking of San Diego. I'm going there for 2.5 days of meetings. Going to extend Thurs thru Sun. Any must sees? Not doing the Navy thing. I've seen enough ships in my lifetime. Hard pass on the zoo.

I was about a 6 when we rolled into this place but from what I remember it was cool and I got the california burrito and it was incred.

http://www.lapuertasd.com/

The Andaz is cool AF. I'd stay there if you want to be in the gas lamp. Or anywhere in La Jolla which is way more chill.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11789 on: April 04, 2019, 12:39:12 PM »
San Diego is a great place to visit.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11790 on: April 04, 2019, 12:40:53 PM »
also people smoke MARIJUANA! just like right out in the open like hippies.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #11791 on: April 04, 2019, 12:44:28 PM »

I was about a 6 when we rolled into this place but from what I remember it was cool and I got the california burrito and it was incred.

http://www.lapuertasd.com/

The Andaz is cool AF. I'd stay there if you want to be in the gas lamp. Or anywhere in La Jolla which is way more chill.
Thanks. I have two free Hyatt nights. Thx CC thread!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11792 on: April 04, 2019, 12:47:14 PM »
here's a verbal picture of every san diego bro I'm going to paint you so listen up:

backwards black snap back, black jeans, tank top, thc juul in mouth, on a lime scooter, and he's hot AF. just a smoking good looking bro.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11793 on: April 04, 2019, 12:47:31 PM »
Years and years ago some buds and I did a san Diego, LA, Vegas spring break road trip and we stayed at a hostel in the gaslamp district and snuck up the fire escape to the roof and smoked MARIJUANA and then went out and drank our balls off and I made out with an Australian girl who gave me her email address on a slip of paper and then I lost the paper.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11794 on: April 04, 2019, 12:54:30 PM »
I enjoyed the piss out of SD and did not partake in any zoo  went to old Town for some good taco food and rode a tilt a whirl at mission Beach.  Hung out with royals tv dudes one night in gaslamp.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11795 on: April 04, 2019, 12:56:25 PM »
hell yeah, rent bikes on mission beach and just cruise around and do bro stuff

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11796 on: April 04, 2019, 01:11:40 PM »
German girl and I may be going to La Jolla for work at the end of the month. I've never been and this thread is making me really want to go. I want to eat a burrito and walk around in the sunshine while smoking a doobie!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11797 on: April 04, 2019, 01:34:13 PM »
German girl and I may be going to La Jolla for work at the end of the month. I've never been and this thread is making me really want to go. I want to eat a burrito and walk around in the sunshine while smoking a doobie!

hell yeah

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11798 on: April 04, 2019, 01:47:05 PM »
Please do whatever it takes that forces D2 onto that trip as well.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11799 on: April 04, 2019, 02:13:18 PM »
Please do whatever it takes that forces D2 onto that trip as well.

casually mention there will be a show in san diego where joel osteen is going to be opening for tesla