Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1334232 times)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #11550 on: January 21, 2019, 02:52:15 PM »
Savannah GA recommendations? Will be there in early April for a vacation with my lady friend.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #11551 on: January 21, 2019, 03:45:12 PM »
Savannah GA recommendations? Will be there in early April for a vacation with my lady friend.

stay (in order of sd recomendo)
  1. andaz
  2. the bohemian
  3. mansion on forsyth

eat-
   nice: olde pink house
   not nice: vinnie van gogos

drink-
   the distillery

do-
  the trolly is cheap and does a loop and tells you about the history of savannah
  art school shop where the local art school sells their crap they made
  walk from the river to forsyth park. you'll go through a ton of old parks with big fountains and stuff
  if it's nice grab a 12 pack of PBR and throw a frisbee around forsyth park. it's like vegas in that you can drink in public.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11552 on: January 21, 2019, 03:53:01 PM »
other input:

-you can drive out to tybee island if you want. it kinda sucks but if you have time and want to walk on the beach you can do that.
-the savannah airport is a gem. it's super tiny and is incred easy to get in and out of.
-there's tons of old racist white women doing the racist white lady store and restaurant. it's probably good but don't go because of the mentioned hoards of racist old white women.
-there are pretty cool like antique stores and stuff all over. you can just walk around and find them if you or your babe are into that.
-you have to walk down by the river to do it but it's mostly tourist crap (you're a tourist so it'll be fine). there is some like creole restaurant there I can't remember the name of that does a bang up brunch. also tons of blackout drunks so that's fun.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #11553 on: January 22, 2019, 01:17:11 PM »
So this Chicago trip this week is going to be split between there and Indianapolis, so it will be a quick one. Looks like we're staying at Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile off chestnut. What's good around there? @8manpick

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11554 on: January 22, 2019, 01:23:54 PM »
Has anyone done any of the tours in DC that you have to get appointments via your congressman? I requested the capital, white house, and Supreme Court, but what I can find online sounds like maybe these kinda suck.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11555 on: January 22, 2019, 01:35:42 PM »
So this Chicago trip this week is going to be split between there and Indianapolis, so it will be a quick one. Looks like we're staying at Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile off chestnut. What's good around there? @8manpick

Keeping within a few blocks of your hotel:
Regular Bars:  Pippin's, Streeter's, Dublin Bar and Grill, Jake Melnick's or if you are willing to walk a half mile: local favorite Hopsmith.
Cocktail Bars: The Peninsula hotel's bar is my favorite fancy bar I've been to.   RL Restaurant has a nice bar.
Steak: Maple and Ash, Tavern on Rush, Gibson's
Other higher-end food: Le Colonial (French-Viet), RL Restaurant, Francesca's on Chestnut

I can widen my recommendo's if you are willing to go further, just let me know what you're looking for.

:adios:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11556 on: January 22, 2019, 01:37:58 PM »
Thanks, man. I'll hit you up next month during Midwinter. I'll be there longer and should have more free time.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11557 on: January 22, 2019, 05:00:03 PM »

Regular Bars:  Pippin's, Streeter's, Dublin Bar and Grill, Jake Melnick's or if you are willing to walk a half mile: local favorite Hopsmith.
Cocktail Bars: The Peninsula hotel's bar is my favorite fancy bar I've been to.   RL Restaurant has a nice bar.
Other higher-end food: Le Colonial (French-Viet), RL Restaurant, Francesca's on Chestnut

I can widen my recommendo's if you are willing to go further, just let me know what you're looking for.

Also, I want your Alinea take

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #11558 on: January 23, 2019, 03:48:24 PM »
other input:

-you can drive out to tybee island if you want. it kinda sucks but if you have time and want to walk on the beach you can do that.
-the savannah airport is a gem. it's super tiny and is incred easy to get in and out of.
-there's tons of old racist white women doing the racist white lady store and restaurant. it's probably good but don't go because of the mentioned hoards of racist old white women.
-there are pretty cool like antique stores and stuff all over. you can just walk around and find them if you or your babe are into that.
-you have to walk down by the river to do it but it's mostly tourist crap (you're a tourist so it'll be fine). there is some like creole restaurant there I can't remember the name of that does a bang up brunch. also tons of blackout drunks so that's fun.

stay (in order of sd recomendo)
  1. andaz
  2. the bohemian
  3. mansion on forsyth

eat-
   nice: olde pink house
   not nice: vinnie van gogos

drink-
   the distillery

do-
  the trolly is cheap and does a loop and tells you about the history of savannah
  art school shop where the local art school sells their crap they made
  walk from the river to forsyth park. you'll go through a ton of old parks with big fountains and stuff
  if it's nice grab a 12 pack of PBR and throw a frisbee around forsyth park. it's like vegas in that you can drink in public.

:thumbsup: This is why I pay for premium

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11559 on: January 23, 2019, 04:09:33 PM »

Also, I want your Alinea take
I will in detail as soon as I figure out where Mrs 8mp put the menu so I can go through all of it.

Short take was that it was incredible. My favorite part was getting to go into the kitchen and watch the food prep and delivery and the crazy organization required

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #11560 on: January 24, 2019, 11:51:53 AM »
I have 4 Delta drink vouchers that expire 1/31.  Any takers?  I can text you a screenshot with the QR code.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11561 on: January 24, 2019, 12:15:04 PM »
dang, flying united next week

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11562 on: January 24, 2019, 12:47:51 PM »
About 50% of the time I’m getting airplane drunk in the back seats they’re all like, “we’ll come back later and close you out” but they don’t. Airplane people love slinging free booze in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11563 on: January 24, 2019, 01:07:09 PM »
It's kind of amazing how much free booze you can get just by being a normal pleasant person
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11564 on: January 24, 2019, 01:08:04 PM »
It’s true!

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11565 on: January 24, 2019, 01:24:21 PM »
About 50% of the time I’m getting airplane drunk in the back seats they’re all like, “we’ll come back later and close you out” but they don’t. Airplane people love slinging free booze in my experience.

Yes I don’t think they like having to swipe credit cards tbh. My last flight the attendant came back and said, someone else in the front had two drink tickets so you’re good.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11566 on: January 24, 2019, 01:34:14 PM »
I have 4 Delta drink vouchers that expire 1/31.  Any takers?  I can text you a screenshot with the QR code.

free booze already on every flight but thank you

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11567 on: January 24, 2019, 01:34:56 PM »
had 3 sky club beers at 7 am last friday and it was increds

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11568 on: January 24, 2019, 01:40:09 PM »
The pour your own booze at the AA flagship lounge is pretty great.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11569 on: January 24, 2019, 01:42:26 PM »
The BA lounge at LHR was incredible for this

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11570 on: January 24, 2019, 01:43:15 PM »

yeah i don't think people talk enough about pour your own booze in airlines lounges

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11571 on: January 24, 2019, 01:45:57 PM »

yeah i don't think people talk enough about pour your own booze in airlines lounges

wait there isn't a server? i'm out

-wackycat

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11572 on: January 24, 2019, 01:48:59 PM »

I find it weird the normal AA lounge has a bar but the flagship lounge is self serve. Seems the ones frequenting flagship would want service.

One of the perks of those generic lounges priority pass gets you in.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11573 on: January 24, 2019, 01:55:45 PM »

I find it weird the normal AA lounge has a bar but the flagship lounge is self serve. Seems the ones frequenting flagship would want service.

Low lounge IQ considering I have an Admirals Club pass, but is there a good easy way to get flagship access w/o being in International First?

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11574 on: January 24, 2019, 01:58:06 PM »

Low lounge IQ considering I have an Admirals Club pass, but is there a good easy way to get flagship access w/o being in International First?

Be like super sweet to those check-in ladies? Friends traveling with me weren't first and I was and they overheard us talking and flipped them two passes so they could join me. It was late in the day so that may have helped too.