Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1334474 times)

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
Re: travel thread
« Reply #11500 on: January 04, 2019, 11:28:12 AM »
LoL. Wacky. You don't get to complain about security lines if you're too cheap to spend $85 on Pre.

Sent from my 9024W using Tapatalk

better yet, get a credit card that pays for it.
Excellent point

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #11501 on: January 04, 2019, 11:29:56 AM »
BTW if you're travelling international and not using Mobile Passport, you're missing out.
A friend of mine gave me that tip. Going to use it leaving Mexico. #ipabrag

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #11502 on: January 04, 2019, 11:30:00 AM »
I have a SW CC you silly gooses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11503 on: January 04, 2019, 11:44:04 AM »
BTW if you're travelling international and not using Mobile Passport, you're missing out.

does it impact global entry?

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11504 on: January 04, 2019, 12:17:03 PM »

Doesn't global entry basically cancel the need for mobile passport?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11505 on: January 04, 2019, 01:04:47 PM »
you should use both since mobile passport is free.  less people will be using mobile passport than global entry, so shorter lines, but it's also available at fewer airports

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11506 on: January 04, 2019, 01:06:03 PM »

Doesn't global entry basically cancel the need for mobile passport?

from my brief research it looks like you don't need to fill out the custom form on paper. so that kind of makes things easier, I hate thinking about having/finding a pen.

Is it actually a different line or something more than scanning your barcode when you would normally hand them your paper customs form?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #11507 on: January 04, 2019, 01:10:17 PM »
you can download mobile passport and get it ready to go after your plane lands and prior to deboarding.

source: I did this

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11508 on: January 04, 2019, 01:12:16 PM »
I guess I could read

The U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) “Trusted Traveler” programs and the Mobile Passport app are different, but they can complement each other.

Global Entry (aviation), Nexus (northern land border), and Sentri (southern land border) are "Trusted Traveler" programs, requiring a background check, fee, and interview. Once approved, you use a kiosk each time you arrive in the U.S., and then proceed to the designated lane where you will hand a paper receipt to a CBP officer and keep walking.

The Mobile Passport is a free app based on an automation program, meaning that it enables you to submit your passport and customs declaration information via your mobile device instead of the traditional paper form. It does not require a background check nor your "Trusted Traveler" number.

It is great to use both the “Trusted Traveler” programs and the Mobile Passport app so you can choose the shortest line and breeze through Customs on your preferred program. Your results may vary depending on the airport and the time of day.

Make sure not to use these programs interchangeably for the same inspections process.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #11509 on: January 04, 2019, 03:49:04 PM »

nope.   different usage.   You enter everything in the app, scan the passports, take a photo, then skip the line and go right to a CBP agent who scans the barcode and matches the photo, done.   

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11510 on: January 04, 2019, 04:33:45 PM »

nope.   different usage.   You enter everything in the app, scan the passports, take a photo, then skip the line and go right to a CBP agent who scans the barcode and matches the photo, done.   

so this sounds faster than global entry which has a fee and hence I assumed was the VIP of getting through customs....and now I'm confused.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #11511 on: January 04, 2019, 07:57:48 PM »
everyone just post a new post without reading the pre-ceding posts imo

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #11512 on: January 07, 2019, 10:11:44 AM »

so this sounds faster than global entry which has a fee and hence I assumed was the VIP of getting through customs....and now I'm confused.

don't be.   On our last trip back from Mexico through Phoenix we were the ONLY people who used it.   Went right to the front of the line.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11513 on: January 07, 2019, 10:30:38 AM »
t's and p's would be appreciated as i enter my final month of Diamond Medallion with Delta (will be Gold starting Feb.)

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11514 on: January 07, 2019, 10:32:26 AM »
t's and p's would be appreciated as i enter my final month of Diamond Medallion with Delta (will be Gold starting Feb.)

what were some highlights? did you ever get driven across the atl tarmac in a porsche in order to make sure you made a connection?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11515 on: January 07, 2019, 10:36:34 AM »
San Francisco's Golden Gate Park is incredible.

Pedal boat adventure around Strawberry Hill was a delight!

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11516 on: January 07, 2019, 10:40:43 AM »

don't be.   On our last trip back from Mexico through Phoenix we were the ONLY people who used it.   Went right to the front of the line.

My confusion is based on the DHS making this big capital investment to put in kiosks and register fingerprints for travelers and charge them a fee....then a few years later release an app that is easier to use and it's free?

Government I guess amirite?

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11517 on: January 07, 2019, 10:41:58 AM »
In my last month of AA platinum, pretty bummed out. Ts and Ps to you.
:adios:

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11518 on: January 07, 2019, 10:42:17 AM »

I only saw a tiny part of it.  :frown:

If I go back I'll see more. But what else would I do there given that I've already seen the main attractions?

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11519 on: January 07, 2019, 10:43:42 AM »

Did you go to the science museum in Golden gate park? I hope you did.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11520 on: January 07, 2019, 10:46:48 AM »

what were some highlights? did you ever get driven across the atl tarmac in a porsche in order to make sure you made a connection?

that happened only once, at LAX. it was so, so incredible.

other highlights:
-direct access to the Diamond Medallion support line in case anything comes up in your travel. they'll basically do anything for you within reason.
-first class on virtually all of my flights and getting confirmed five days ahead of time. i think there were a couple times i had to sit in comfort because i swiched flights last minute.
-sky club access can't be undervalued. it's a great feeling knowing that even if you have to arrive early to the airport or get delayed, you'll have a desk to sit at or comfortable chair with free food and booze. (you can pay for sky club access, and i actually used miles to buy a pass for this upcoming year)
-one time my flight had to divert back to MSP because of weather and i woke up the next day to an email saying sorry here's 10,000 bonus miles

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11521 on: January 07, 2019, 10:51:35 AM »

that happened only once, at LAX. it was so, so incredible.

other highlights:
-direct access to the Diamond Medallion support line in case anything comes up in your travel. they'll basically do anything for you within reason.
-first class on virtually all of my flights and getting confirmed five days ahead of time. i think there were a couple times i had to sit in comfort because i swiched flights last minute.
-sky club access can't be undervalued. it's a great feeling knowing that even if you have to arrive early to the airport or get delayed, you'll have a desk to sit at or comfortable chair with free food and booze. (you can pay for sky club access, and i actually used miles to buy a pass for this upcoming year)
-one time my flight had to divert back to MSP because of weather and i woke up the next day to an email saying sorry here's 10,000 bonus miles

Getting even the bare minimum elite status on the legacy carriers is a huge perk in my experience (customer support and free upgrades). Add in getting lounge access for free and I feel for you bud.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11522 on: January 07, 2019, 10:52:31 AM »

NO!  I wish!  Outdoor only.  We walked a good chunk of it though, regrettably did not make it to the tulip/dutch windmill which I was hoping for.  Will return.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #11523 on: January 08, 2019, 07:34:58 AM »
Mobile Passport app rating - rough ridin' awesome

Two minutes through Customs. I was first in line and only one chick was behind me. Nobody was using it.

Don't let anyone know about it.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11524 on: January 08, 2019, 08:09:49 AM »

NO!  I wish!  Outdoor only.  We walked a good chunk of it though, regrettably did not make it to the tulip/dutch windmill which I was hoping for.  Will return.
What about the buffaloes