Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1357616 times)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #9475 on: April 10, 2017, 10:03:42 PM »
Wtf r u posting
Photgraphs for ppl who get out of their cubes from time to time for work.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9476 on: April 10, 2017, 10:22:59 PM »
Awww snap

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9477 on: April 10, 2017, 10:30:02 PM »
wacky did they let you drive or did you have take a greyhound bus

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #9478 on: April 10, 2017, 10:38:20 PM »
Lol. Flew into Pitt after a layover from Baltimore. Rented a car and drove up to Cleveland to host case western after the Pitt lunch and learn. We'll drive down to Columbus tomorrow to host Ohio State.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9479 on: April 10, 2017, 10:41:17 PM »
wacky did they let you drive or did you have take a greyhound bus

lol

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9480 on: April 11, 2017, 03:51:50 AM »
Primanti Bros is very overrated. Way too much slaw, dilutes the flavor of the sandwiches

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9481 on: April 11, 2017, 03:58:55 AM »
Also is anyone actually boycotting United? I literally have hundreds of thousands miles with them. Townie is right, those people were fools for not taking the deal, although it's shady a.f. that they only offered $400 at the gate then $800, then they ended up giving $1000 to the dude they had knocked the eff out.

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9482 on: April 11, 2017, 08:46:43 AM »
I don't know why this whole United controversy is so shocking. Airports are the most transparently fascist places that Joe Public regularly encounters. Also the most stark example of class.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9483 on: April 11, 2017, 09:16:51 AM »

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9484 on: April 11, 2017, 09:19:55 AM »

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #9485 on: April 11, 2017, 10:36:05 AM »
what's the solution when nobody wants to get off the plane, but somebody HAS to get off the plane?

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9486 on: April 11, 2017, 10:37:02 AM »
what's the solution when nobody wants to get off the plane, but somebody HAS to get off the plane?

Step 1) don't let people board the plane until it's sorted out
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9487 on: April 11, 2017, 10:46:23 AM »
this doctor paid money and signed off on the terms of service the airlines made available, then refused to honor the terms of service in the contract that said he would have to wait and accept whatever the airline deemed fair compensation. he refused and so the airline brought in the state to violently enforce the contract. not sure why anyone is surprised or outraged.

let dlew lend a rhetorical flourish with legal precedent about why if you try to assert any sort of inherent human right to dignity in the face of a corporation's terms of service you will be made to bend the knee, violently. just the system asserting its power to keep things running efficiently.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9488 on: April 11, 2017, 10:58:41 AM »
impulse bought flights to Paris from KC tonight during an AA sale ($431 apiece)

going in late Sept / early Oct

hotel recommendos?  I have plat status and a billion points with Marriott, or I have Hyatt vouchers that I had planned to use in Kauai this winter but the Park Hyatt is v tempting

also any other recommendos for crap to do, eat, etc, tia

Details on booking this?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #9489 on: April 11, 2017, 11:22:06 AM »
this doctor paid money and signed off on the terms of service the airlines made available, then refused to honor the terms of service in the contract that said he would have to wait and accept whatever the airline deemed fair compensation. he refused and so the airline brought in the state to violently enforce the contract. not sure why anyone is surprised or outraged.

let dlew lend a rhetorical flourish with legal precedent about why if you try to assert any sort of inherent human right to dignity in the face of a corporation's terms of service you will be made to bend the knee, violently. just the system asserting its power to keep things running efficiently.
You know me all too well.

I'm wondering what a better solution to this issue would have been aside from "don't let him on the plane in the first place" - which they obviously shouldn't have.  But once he's on the plane, and he refuses to get off, what happens then?  Keep asking?  Violate FAA regulations that limit the amount of compensation you can give in these situations?  I saw one guy on twitter today who suggested "just wait." 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #9490 on: April 11, 2017, 11:23:59 AM »

Once he was boarded, it is no longer a case of involuntary denied boarding and became refusal to transport.   Apparently that means United's action was illegal, as there was not any reason to refuse transport.  He's gonna get paid.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #9491 on: April 11, 2017, 11:26:05 AM »

Once he was boarded, it is no longer a case of involuntary denied boarding and became refusal to transport.   Apparently that means United's action was illegal, as there was not any reason to refuse transport.  He's gonna get paid.
I don't know much about airplane rules, but I think the captain or pilot can tell anyone on board to amscray. 

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9492 on: April 11, 2017, 11:32:29 AM »

I'm wondering what a better solution to this issue would have been aside from "don't let him on the plane in the first place" - which they obviously shouldn't have.  But once he's on the plane, and he refuses to get off, what happens then?  Keep asking?  Violate FAA regulations that limit the amount of compensation you can give in these situations?  I saw one guy on twitter today who suggested "just wait."

if you only have the imagination to the change the actions of the individuals on that plane, then the situation is unavoidable.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #9493 on: April 11, 2017, 11:34:42 AM »

if you only have the imagination to the change the actions of the individuals on that plane, then the situation is unavoidable.
now who's offering a rhetorical flourish?

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9494 on: April 11, 2017, 11:35:38 AM »

there is no "limit" imposed by the FAA, there is a minimum set, but United could have exceeded their self-imposed limit.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9495 on: April 11, 2017, 11:38:45 AM »

I don't know much about airplane rules, but I think the captain or pilot can tell anyone on board to amscray.

that is not true.  Here is an article explaining the requirements they must meet to deny transport or boarding.   Having an employee who needs a seat is not among them.

https://papersplease.org/wp/2012/08/24/does-an-airline-pilot-have-the-right-to-refuse-to-let-you-fly/

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9496 on: April 11, 2017, 11:49:35 AM »

that is not true.  Here is an article explaining the requirements they must meet to deny transport or boarding.   Having an employee who needs a seat is not among them.

https://papersplease.org/wp/2012/08/24/does-an-airline-pilot-have-the-right-to-refuse-to-let-you-fly/

read the whole article

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #9497 on: April 11, 2017, 11:54:40 AM »
You could be right.  I honestly don't know.  If United was legally wrong then they should be smacked for it - both PR-wise and whatever they might pay for a fat settlement or in damages. 

If they were legally right, then I don't have a problem with them removing the guy.

Obviously irrelevant to the outcome of this (though it may explain his bizarre behavior), but our Good Doctor apparently has a history of trading painkillers for sex, which is a fun little wrinkle to this story.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #9498 on: April 11, 2017, 11:59:54 AM »
In any event, this is now my number 1 favorite non-politics related news story in a long long time. 

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9499 on: April 11, 2017, 12:02:04 PM »
i mean holy crap. they picked the worst person on the plane to pull this crap on.

https://twitter.com/ChrisSpags/status/851814105057038337