Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1356534 times)

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #6825 on: November 03, 2015, 09:04:39 AM »
How many people in the entire family?  Ages?
4 people, kids are 8 and 9.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6826 on: November 03, 2015, 09:05:15 AM »
i think i am just going to get on the waitlist for busy class and let GOD decide if it is worth all that points and money.
How many points/$$$?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #6827 on: November 03, 2015, 09:09:04 AM »
i think i am just going to get on the waitlist for busy class and let GOD decide if it is worth all that points and money.
How many points/$$$?

25k+350 each so 50k+700 :frown:

so i was out until i looked up the cost of actually buying a bus class ticket was $4500 each so now it looks like a good deal

plus its 14 hours and a trip im not likely to take again soon, and definitely not have the opportunity to upgrade again.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6828 on: November 03, 2015, 09:12:37 AM »
25k+350 each so 50k+700 :frown:

so i was out until i looked up the cost of actually buying a bus class ticket was $4500 each so now it looks like a good deal

plus its 14 hours and a trip im not likely to take again soon, and definitely not have the opportunity to upgrade again.
That doesn't seem so bad. It's not like you'll be able to use those 50k on 4500 mile flights to Dallas any time soon. Maybe start hording points for an all-business trip back?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #6829 on: November 03, 2015, 09:15:43 AM »
YOU TALKED ME INTO IT

its still a waitlist so its like gambling. its gonna be a rush

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #6830 on: November 03, 2015, 09:35:08 AM »
Off the top of my head, I think the tower of london would be cool for the family.  I didn't see it when I was there, but it's seemed like a neat place that would have things oriented towards little ones (beefeaters!) and offer some legitimately cool history for the adults (beheadings!).

As for Paris, I have absolutely no clue.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #6831 on: November 03, 2015, 09:41:13 AM »
Off the top of my head, I think the tower of london would be cool for the family.  I didn't see it when I was there, but it's seemed like a neat place that would have things oriented towards little ones (beefeaters!) and offer some legitimately cool history for the adults (beheadings!).

As for Paris, I have absolutely no clue.

isnt there a disneyland?

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6832 on: November 03, 2015, 09:50:19 AM »
Moulin Rouge, Pigalle, etc....oh no I forgot this is a family trip

Maybe go to the Eiffle Tower. I don't know, all the things I did in Paris seem boring for kids.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6833 on: November 03, 2015, 09:51:34 AM »
We're definitely doing the Louvre in Paris. Maybe a second art museum there? And my wife really wants to go to Harry Potter land or whatever. Haven't figured out exactly how long we'll be in each place, just have the flights to/from SFO booked. Could easily spend more time in London.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6834 on: November 03, 2015, 09:53:10 AM »
I have a plethora of UR points and think I'm going to do London three nights and Paris three nights with the entire family next summer. (but would accept alternative suggestions).

pro tips? I think I will be able to do a Hyatt bonus again for two nights at that sweet Hyatt in Paris, but not sure about London hotels, or things to do, or anything like that. I don't want to see the Mona Lisa, I know that, but I'm pretty much down for anything else. cc the credit card thread for possible hotel cards @steve dave

OK I booked the flights (NONSTOP BOTH WAYS!!!). where should I stay, THANKS GUYS

I'm thinking I could maybe redo the Hyatt two nights thing? thanks all, you are all the best.

Yes, Hyatt two nights and maybe the Hilton card that comes with 2 weekend nights assuming you are in London over a weekend? Hyatt doesn't have a large presence in London but there is a cool Andaz on Liverpool St. Holiday Inn has some very good locations in Paris and I would highly recommend this place if you have PC points or can get them fast. Either stay at the Hyatt Vendome or somewhere in St. Germain. Location is more important in Paris because the metro sucks crap compared to the London Tube:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187147-d1597586-Reviews-Holiday_Inn_Paris_Notre_Dame-Paris_Ile_de_France.html

Activities:
London do the British Museum. It is amazing. Also free. Skip the Museum of London. Do the Tower of London and a beefeater tour there. Very fun. Do Westminster Abbey. London Tube is great and very similar to the NYC subway (other than occasionally having to cram into elevators).

Paris. I enjoyed the Musée d'Orsay more than the Louvre but both were worthwhile imo. You can hit both in a day as long as you aren't there when it's busy and just want the highlights. If it's a busy time hit the Louvre first right when it opens and purchase tickets ahead of time. The double decker bus tour is pretty cheap and worthwile and can be your transportation for the day. Good description of what you are seeing and you can just hop off whenever you want and do stuff and use it to go back to your hotel. As noted above the metro in Paris sucks as far as where it goes. We used it some but for the most part were better off just walking. River tour is also a good time imo.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #6835 on: November 03, 2015, 09:54:06 AM »
which museum has more dinosaurs

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6836 on: November 03, 2015, 09:54:51 AM »
Steve Dave, thank you.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6837 on: November 03, 2015, 09:55:24 AM »
Also, eurostar tickets are super cheap if you book them really far out but get progressively more expensive the closer you get to the date so get them early.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6838 on: November 03, 2015, 09:57:02 AM »
And yes I will be in London over the weekend so will look into that Hilton card.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6839 on: November 03, 2015, 09:58:45 AM »
The Winged Victory of Samothrace at the Louvre was very impressive to me for some reason. I don't really get into statues and stuff but for some reason I liked the crap out of it. Make sure you see that. It's on like a main staircase so you probably can't miss it. The Orsay head straight up to the Monet part and hit the Van Gogh part on your way out. The famous clock view over Paris thing is right at the front of the Monet part iirc.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6840 on: November 03, 2015, 10:08:45 AM »
We stayed at this Hilton in London. It's nice enough but not like, WOW!, but the location can't be beat. Can walk to the London Eye, British Museum, Covent Garden, Seven Dials, etc. If you get that one Hilton card you'll also get gold status which gets you free breakfast here which is a big money saver.

http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/united-kingdom/the-waldorf-hilton-london-LONWAHI/index.html

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6841 on: November 03, 2015, 10:14:15 AM »
Oh, and Notre Dame in Paris and St. Pauls in London are both cool to pop into if you're in the area. Can make quick run through each (as long as there isn't a service going on) and are pretty impressive.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #6842 on: November 03, 2015, 12:06:58 PM »
i liked walking around westminster abbey for about 20 minutes just to see all the names buried there. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6843 on: November 11, 2015, 11:09:19 AM »
LAX, CVG, MSP
Where would you choose to hang out for an hour and grab a quick lunch?  Total flight times are all about the same.  Just trying to earn a few MQMs before year end and may fly through one of these instead of taking a direct next month.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6844 on: November 11, 2015, 11:16:00 AM »
LAX, CVG, MSP
Where would you choose to hang out for an hour and grab a quick lunch?  Total flight times are all about the same.  Just trying to earn a few MQMs before year end and may fly through one of these instead of taking a direct next month.

CVG will definitely be the least crowded but I imagine half the restaurants are closed

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6845 on: November 11, 2015, 11:35:02 AM »
there's an in-n-out on Sepulveda about 5 mins away from lax, if you've never had it.
(it's pretty good but nothing really special but maybe a bucket list type thing)

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6846 on: November 11, 2015, 11:48:21 AM »
I think slc has in-n-out
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6847 on: November 11, 2015, 01:09:18 PM »

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6848 on: November 11, 2015, 01:10:55 PM »
There are 3, so suck it mocat, big time know it all
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6849 on: November 11, 2015, 01:12:03 PM »
There are 3, so suck it mocat, big time know it all

oh i'm sorry i read that wrong. i thought you meant slc as in the airport specifically