Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1357202 times)

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #2975 on: January 23, 2014, 04:33:58 PM »
Going to Colorado from 5/16-5/20.

We are going to a Rockies game after flying in on 5/16, then staying the night in Denver.  (Hotel near Coors field recommendation appreciated.)

Then, the next morning we are renting a car and driving to Loveland for a bit so I can get a slurpee at the 7-11 where my dad used to take us to go get slurpees when I was a kidden_mittons.  Then I will go check out some nostalgic places before driving up to Estes Park.  We would like to rent a cabin or something of the sort on 5/17 and 5/18.  (Cabin near Estes Park recommendation appreciated.)

We would like to do some hiking over those days.  I already know I want to go to Round Mountain (for nostalgic reasons).  But I'm not sure of any super secrety type hiking places up there.  (Super secrety hiking place near Estes Park recommendation appreciated.)

On Monday night, we would like to stay somewhere in Fort Collins, because I remember that place being pretty neat.  (Hotel in Fort Collins recommendation appreciated.)

We will have all day Tuesday to check out Fort Collins type things before having to get on a plane in Denver around 9pm.

**ATTENTION STEVEN DAVID**
I have no hotel points anywhere.

For the Denver hotel check out the Jet Lounge.  It's a cool little place, reasonable, sort of a boutique hotel.  It has a bar/club sort of deal on the main floor.  Also good parking.  Check out the website to see if it's your thing.  It's like a huge line outside kind of place, but if you're staying there then no waiting to party obvs.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: January 23, 2014, 04:47:37 PM »
We stayed at the Embassy Suites Downtown Denver and it was decent.   Metered street parking beside the hotel allows you to avoid the parking lot / valet hassles.

The New Belgium Brewery tour in Ft. Collins is one of the better tours I've been on.   Even if sold out online, show up, they have a waiting list and you usually will get in.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: January 23, 2014, 05:25:19 PM »
Wife and I have been leaning pretty hard toward San Fransisco for a trip this summer but haven't dug into any research on it yet.  This is still the birf'ing stage of the vacation plan.

Suggestions on where to stay in San Fran that would allow us to walk to a bunch of stuff?

Neither of us have been before.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: January 23, 2014, 05:28:17 PM »
Wife and I have been leaning pretty hard toward San Fransisco for a trip this summer but haven't dug into any research on it yet.  This is still the birf'ing stage of the vacation plan.

Suggestions on where to stay in San Fran that would allow us to walk to a bunch of stuff?

Union Square - touristy, but lots of hotel choices and best public transportation access of anywhere you'll stay.

re: The Colorado trip above - that seems like an awful lot of driving. I'd cut out Ft. Collins & stay in Denver an extra day. JMO

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: January 23, 2014, 05:39:26 PM »
Let's say e want a Bunch of good cafes and people watching.   Is that union square?

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: January 23, 2014, 05:44:06 PM »

Stayed at Hotel Des Arts for my honeymoon several years ago. Amazing location:price ratio at the time. Not the best hotel ever, but it's very unique. 

Highly recommend this thread too- http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=1378.0 I dish out some info/pics.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: January 23, 2014, 05:48:26 PM »
Let's say e want a Bunch of good cafes and people watching.   Is that union square?

Probably North Beach or Valencia street in the Mission. Yelp is your friend.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: January 23, 2014, 05:50:58 PM »

We will be there the weekend of the 13th of July. Staying at the Andaz Napa but may hit some Bay sites on either shoulder.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: January 23, 2014, 05:53:29 PM »
Going to Colorado from 5/16-5/20.

We are going to a Rockies game after flying in on 5/16, then staying the night in Denver.  (Hotel near Coors field recommendation appreciated.)

Then, the next morning we are renting a car and driving to Loveland for a bit so I can get a slurpee at the 7-11 where my dad used to take us to go get slurpees when I was a kidden_mittons.  Then I will go check out some nostalgic places before driving up to Estes Park.  We would like to rent a cabin or something of the sort on 5/17 and 5/18.  (Cabin near Estes Park recommendation appreciated.)

We would like to do some hiking over those days.  I already know I want to go to Round Mountain (for nostalgic reasons).  But I'm not sure of any super secrety type hiking places up there.  (Super secrety hiking place near Estes Park recommendation appreciated.)

On Monday night, we would like to stay somewhere in Fort Collins, because I remember that place being pretty neat.  (Hotel in Fort Collins recommendation appreciated.)

We will have all day Tuesday to check out Fort Collins type things before having to get on a plane in Denver around 9pm.

**ATTENTION STEVEN DAVID**
I have no hotel points anywhere.

fort collins, tour the o'dell brewery and the new belgium brewery.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: January 23, 2014, 06:37:00 PM »

Thanks, Mich.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2985 on: January 23, 2014, 06:55:23 PM »

What are you looking for in a hike?  Most peaks of any reasonable elevation are going to be tough that time of year because of snow.  I tried hiking Flattop by myself in early June about 5 years ago, and it got pretty impossible at around tree line.  If you want stunning views at that time of year without doing snowshoeing I would suggest Mills Lake.  It's an easy hike and pretty crowded in the summer, but that early in the season it probably won't be crowded.

Might ask around and see if Chasm Lake is do-able at that point.  Maybe, maybe not depending on snowfall. 

--Photos posted in June, not sure when they were taken

A peak that you may be able to do at that time would be Twin Sisters, which gives you great views of Meeker and Longs.

http://www.rockymountainhikingtrails.com/twin-sisters-peak.htm
:adios:

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: January 23, 2014, 06:57:58 PM »
Brew tours sound great.  Will do those.  Any good places to stay in Ft. Collins, or are they all about the same?  Also, someone in the dating thread mentioned a trail by estes that ended at some cool waterfall.  Would like some info like this.  Spill it, bros.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: January 23, 2014, 07:02:09 PM »

What are you looking for in a hike?  Most peaks of any reasonable elevation are going to be tough that time of year because of snow.  I tried hiking Flattop by myself in early June about 5 years ago, and it got pretty impossible at around tree line.  If you want stunning views at that time of year without doing snowshoeing I would suggest Mills Lake.  It's an easy hike and pretty crowded in the summer, but that early in the season it probably won't be crowded.

Might ask around and see if Chasm Lake is do-able at that point.  Maybe, maybe not depending on snowfall. 

--Photos posted in June, not sure when they were taken

A peak that you may be able to do at that time would be Twin Sisters, which gives you great views of Meeker and Longs.

http://www.rockymountainhikingtrails.com/twin-sisters-peak.htm
Yes, more things like this.  I'm going with the gf, so nothing too crazy as far as hikes.  Just some nice leisurely hiking with good scenery.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: January 23, 2014, 07:02:57 PM »
Brew tours sound great.  Will do those.  Any good places to stay in Ft. Collins, or are they all about the same?  Also, someone in the dating thread mentioned a trail by estes that ended at some cool waterfall.  Would like some info like this.  Spill it, bros.

http://www.thearmstronghotel.com/

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: January 23, 2014, 07:10:14 PM »

Yes, more things like this.  I'm going with the gf, so nothing too crazy as far as hikes.  Just some nice leisurely hiking with good scenery.

If you were going in July or August, I would have a handful of other suggestions, but I would definitely suggest Mills Lake for this trip.  Easy hike, about 5 miles round trip.  You'll go past an impressive waterfall a little over a half mile into the hike, and if you feel like going further once you get to Mills, Black Lake is another 2 miles up.  Another option is Loch Vale, which is another lake starting from the same trailhead.  The trail splits about a half mile from either Mills Lake or Loch Vale so you can easily hit both if you want.  Mills>Loch but not by a lot.
:adios:

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: January 23, 2014, 08:54:56 PM »

Thanks, Mich.

Don't stay in Union Square.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: January 24, 2014, 08:43:41 AM »
The Loch or Loch Vale is a good and pretty and not-so-demanding hike.  Pretty sure there are some waterfalls along the way, too.  There are quite a few people around Bear Lake and the last time I went parking was a bitch but not many people go up the Loch Vale.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: January 24, 2014, 08:50:39 AM »
hiked up to that one two summers ago with my bros. pretty cool.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: January 24, 2014, 09:12:04 AM »
Lawn Lake is similar but it's a longer hike with even fewer people.  I've only ever gone up for a few days of camping but I know people in good shape will make the summit of Mummy Mountain from the trailhead and back in a day, but holy crap that would probably kill me, and probably not do-able in May. 

This is where Emo and Mrs Emo got engaged (but like way up on that mountain).

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: January 24, 2014, 09:14:49 AM »
Hey!  I've stayed 2 nights at lawn lake, used it as a base camp to climb Mummy Mountain!!

We got sleeted on in July, at the summit, so I wouldn't want to imagine trying to make the Hike in May.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: January 24, 2014, 09:19:05 AM »
I've only ever had great weather up there (July/August), but drought ya know? 

I bet HerrSontag and I have crapped in the same hole in the ground!  :D

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: January 24, 2014, 09:24:50 AM »
Might even have tossed granola at the same friendly marmots that are everywhere up there!   :raccoon:

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: January 24, 2014, 10:38:49 AM »
We stayed at the Embassy Suites Downtown Denver and it was decent.   Metered street parking beside the hotel allows you to avoid the parking lot / valet hassles.

The New Belgium Brewery tour in Ft. Collins is one of the better tours I've been on.   Even if sold out online, show up, they have a waiting list and you usually will get in.

There is a gentlemans club right across the street that advertises free entry if you show your Embassy Suites room card.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: January 24, 2014, 10:39:43 AM »
Might even have tossed granola at the same friendly marmots that are everywhere up there!   :raccoon:

You're not supposed to feed the animals.  :nono:

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #2999 on: January 24, 2014, 01:40:24 PM »
I enjoyed hiking Lory State Park in October.

http://www.parks.state.co.us/parks/lory/Pages/LoryStatePark.aspx

Arthur's Rock gives a great view to the east. Hike along Westridge Trail gives great views to the west toward the front range.

Could be a great option with snow at elevation.