Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1351835 times)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #12575 on: March 31, 2020, 01:58:21 PM »
I have a friend that booked but is worried that the miles will expire before he can use them because the trip he was going to use them was cancelled. Thoughts?

I don't know about CC miles but if theyre with any specific hotel/air program, I can't imagine them not offering some sort of extension if your friend reaches out.  They're all mumped and it's just not worth pissing off someone that could mean revenue down the line.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12576 on: March 31, 2020, 02:03:51 PM »
They do t expire ever with any program I can think of unless you just have no activity for over a year. Plenty of ways to fix that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12577 on: March 31, 2020, 02:07:06 PM »
crap, I missed the email regarding the rescheduling AND the flight date passed. I think those points are gone

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12578 on: March 31, 2020, 02:07:28 PM »
Well, yeah. Almost certainly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12579 on: March 31, 2020, 02:11:40 PM »
never mind, I have to reschedule by EOY. the communication hasn't been great but I kinda get it. booking with chase rewards is kind of a mess because of all the intermediate steps.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12580 on: March 31, 2020, 02:12:18 PM »
Got a full refund on my non-refundable hotel for NYC in May. Was stressing that moderately but no problem.  :Woot:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #12581 on: March 31, 2020, 02:42:54 PM »
I have a friend that booked but is worried that the miles will expire before he can use them because the trip he was going to use them was cancelled. Thoughts?
Buy a gift card for Kroger or whatever. Had to do that with my AA miles. Been on a Southwest binge of late.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12582 on: April 14, 2020, 10:24:30 AM »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12583 on: April 14, 2020, 10:36:53 AM »

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12584 on: April 14, 2020, 10:41:54 AM »
holy crap i had no idea! i love rick steves. this could also go in the good news rona thread or whatever

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12585 on: April 16, 2020, 04:52:15 PM »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12586 on: April 16, 2020, 09:13:23 PM »
Not terribly surprising but this release from United's CEO is brutal to read.

— This weekend, we'll load a revamped schedule that will further reduce our capacity to about 10% of what had been planned for May at the beginning of this year. We expect to announce similar reductions to the June schedule in the next few weeks.

— These schedule changes reflect the stark reality of our situation — and unfortunately, it's something that even legislation as large as the CARES Act can't fix. Travel demand is essentially zero and shows no sign of improving in the near-term.

— To help you understand how few people are flying in this environment, less than 200,000 people flew with us during the first two weeks of April this year, compared to more than 6 million during the same time in 2019, a 97% drop. And we expect to fly fewer people during the entire month of May than we did on a single day in May 2019.

:sdeek:

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/article/United-s-very-grim-outlook-for-2020-15203869.php

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #12587 on: April 17, 2020, 12:05:27 PM »
Not terribly surprising but this release from United's CEO is brutal to read.

— This weekend, we'll load a revamped schedule that will further reduce our capacity to about 10% of what had been planned for May at the beginning of this year. We expect to announce similar reductions to the June schedule in the next few weeks.

— These schedule changes reflect the stark reality of our situation — and unfortunately, it's something that even legislation as large as the CARES Act can't fix. Travel demand is essentially zero and shows no sign of improving in the near-term.

— To help you understand how few people are flying in this environment, less than 200,000 people flew with us during the first two weeks of April this year, compared to more than 6 million during the same time in 2019, a 97% drop. And we expect to fly fewer people during the entire month of May than we did on a single day in May 2019.

:sdeek:

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/article/United-s-very-grim-outlook-for-2020-15203869.php

Wow
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12588 on: April 17, 2020, 12:40:08 PM »
I rescheduled my Napa Valley/Seattle trip for June 3rd-9th. Should I just cancel now? Or is there hope?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12589 on: April 17, 2020, 12:43:33 PM »
I rescheduled my Napa Valley/Seattle trip for June 3rd-9th. Should I just cancel now? Or is there hope?

What benefit is there to canceling now?  Would you get tangible money back that you need?

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12590 on: April 17, 2020, 01:06:04 PM »
No, just being hyperbolic. Mostly just curious what likelihood I have of making it out there.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12591 on: April 17, 2020, 01:09:07 PM »
No, just being hyperbolic. Mostly just curious what likelihood I have of making it out there.

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to fly but don't know what you'll be able to do if you make it. Like, I doubt a lot of wineries will be fully open by then and it's unclear what restaurants will be like.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12592 on: April 17, 2020, 01:21:52 PM »
Just like before, make sure you know that you can cancel anytime w/o penalty and then wait to see what it's like come June and cancel then if it's not going to be a safe/good time.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12593 on: April 17, 2020, 01:47:55 PM »
I would say it's very slim that you'd be able to do a lot of things you want then but it doesn't hurt to hold on.  If you're booking hotel rooms, I would do that now before these hotels see any light on the horizon and you can probably get a very good deal.  Also, some hotels in those regions are housing homeless so maybe call the hotels to check before booking.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12594 on: April 17, 2020, 03:44:49 PM »
So, the Napa hotels are currently filled with winos?

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12595 on: April 18, 2020, 09:14:11 PM »
 This isn’t my current situation, but I was thinking about it. If someone lives in Philly and had a friend in Houston they could go visit for a week and just hang out at their house, how big of a dick move is it to catch a cheap flight?
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12596 on: April 18, 2020, 09:26:33 PM »

This isn’t my current situation, but I was thinking about it. If someone lives in Philly and had a friend in Houston they could go visit for a week and just hang out at their house, how big of a dick move is it to catch a cheap flight?

Your Canadian friend in Philadelphia would be creating a lot of unnecessary contact with a lot of people to just "hang out". If you don't need to, why bother? You also may want to see what Texas considers hot spots now because there might be a two week quarantine when they land.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12597 on: April 20, 2020, 08:46:08 AM »
Renewed global entry today.  Filling out the list of countries visited in the past 5 years pumped me up!

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12598 on: April 20, 2020, 01:11:52 PM »

Your Canadian friend in Philadelphia would be creating a lot of unnecessary contact with a lot of people to just "hang out". If you don't need to, why bother? You also may want to see what Texas considers hot spots now because there might be a two week quarantine when they land.

What about road tripping there (hypothetically) so reducing your contact to essentially one person?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12599 on: April 20, 2020, 02:55:24 PM »

What about road tripping there (hypothetically) so reducing your contact to essentially one person?

you still might need to consider quarantine rules and you definitely need to consider gas, food, and restroom breaks on the way. The thing about a place like an interstate gas station is you're getting germs from all over and spreading yours all over. My recommendation is to leave them for the truckers who need to use them.