Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1350885 times)

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #12175 on: September 23, 2019, 02:46:12 PM »
What do you mean by “facing the center armrest?”
:adios:

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12176 on: September 23, 2019, 02:54:53 PM »
sitting sideways with smelly bare feet inches away

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12177 on: September 23, 2019, 03:02:33 PM »
What do you mean by “facing the center armrest?”

kind of like this

with one of these seats...her feet were right next to the center armrest where they put the drinks

sometimes her feet were directly on her seat sitting like this

but the only time her feet weren't on the seat was during the meal and she tried to have them up then.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12178 on: September 23, 2019, 03:03:17 PM »
Seems a little tickling would have been in order.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
travel thread
« Reply #12179 on: September 23, 2019, 03:04:58 PM »
Oh my god. She should never be allowed in first class again.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12180 on: September 23, 2019, 03:20:29 PM »
I have only sat in business once (kef-mci) and there was no one in the seat next to me  :)
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12181 on: September 24, 2019, 12:09:27 PM »
Has anyone made an international connection through CDG, i.e. fly in from Copenhagen to connect to the US? Can I just stay in an international terminal or do I have to go thru customs in Paris?
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12182 on: September 24, 2019, 12:56:50 PM »
Has anyone made an international connection through CDG, i.e. fly in from Copenhagen to connect to the US? Can I just stay in an international terminal or do I have to go thru customs in Paris?

haven't done CDG specifically, but you'd go through passport control for leaving the EU at CDG before getting into the international terminal. Maybe a little extra security but I doubt it. not a big deal.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12183 on: September 24, 2019, 01:11:05 PM »
Passport control. Might be a bit of a treck depending where you land. If you're asking if you need to retrieve any checked baggage and check back in, the answer is no.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12184 on: September 24, 2019, 01:12:20 PM »
From your perspective, it will be no different than if you were just travelling within the EU

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12185 on: September 25, 2019, 11:33:34 PM »
We just started Day 4 of the Kili trek. In an area with data. This has been amazing - coolest adventure we’ve ever taken. Everyone has to do this. The views are incredible. Started off ascending through rain forest. Monkeys swinging through the trees. By second day we emerged above tree line and Kili really came into view. When I say “Kili” I’m actually referring to Kibu Peak, which is the biggest and tallest of three volcanic peaks that composes Kilimanjaro. The terrain now is mountain desert, with lots of grasses, flowers, and “trees” that are a very prehistoric-looking cross between palm trees, pineapples, and seguoro (so?) cactus. We hiked as high as 15,250 yesterday before descending to camp at 13k. We’re now right at the foot of Kibu and the details are really emerging. It looks like the lava cliffs of Hawaii, but with glaciers and less green.

The stars at night are literally out of this world. Can casually observe the Milky Way arcing overhead with the naked eye. Shooting stars are easy to see.

We are eating like kings, or maybe British colonists would be the better comparison. We have our own mess tent, table, chairs, cutlery, napkins. All that’s missing is the phonograph. The food is better than we get at most restaurants at home. Every breakfast, dinner, and even most lunches are these huge skillets full of meats and vegetables. Tureens of a different soup at every meal. I’m burning at least 3000 calories a day and I’m going to gain weight on this trek.

Not enough data to post pics but I’m getting some amazing stuff. I just wish my iPhone could capture what the night sky looks like.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12186 on: September 26, 2019, 08:46:55 AM »
Not to show up K-S-U but off to Omaha this weekend!

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12187 on: September 26, 2019, 09:00:23 AM »

I hear the zoo there is great.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12188 on: September 26, 2019, 12:26:07 PM »

if you're going to the zoo they've made some awesome additions and are making some more right now. it's pretty great. I may take the kids Sunday actually.

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12189 on: September 26, 2019, 02:00:15 PM »

if you're going to the zoo they've made some awesome additions and are making some more right now. it's pretty great. I may take the kids Sunday actually.

Wife and I will be out there on Saturday along with some friends and their kids.  Hamilton on Sat night.  If you have zoo pro-tips, I'm here for them.  I've never been to Omaha's.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12190 on: September 26, 2019, 02:12:11 PM »
Get there 10 minutes before it opens. If you are going to do the Nocturnal Exhibit, desert dome (lame), jungle, or aquarium (awesome) do them first thing because they are indoors and it sucks when they get crowded. Gorillas are great. Skyfari is pretty cool to get from the back to front. For the kids I’d bring a change of clothes and a towel if it’s warm enough because the splash pad is elite AF. Also giant playground is elite for kids. Best food is by the elephants in the Africa exhibit. They have some unique stuff there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12191 on: September 29, 2019, 03:13:21 AM »
We summited yesterday morning at about 7am. Started at midnight from the high camp at about 15,250 and plodded up 4,000 feet. Nothing much to see but rocks illuminated by the tight circle of the headlamp. Slowly slowly, one step every 1-2 seconds (slower than it sounds). The last 1,500 feet was mostly sand and gravel. Temps below freezing and my camelbac froze halfway up (normal). Switched to nalgene tucked in my pack.

I had heard summit night was hard but figured I’d be fine. I’m a runner. I’ve done marathons. This was the most brutal physical challenge I’ve ever done. Brutal but worth it. When the sun finally broke as we reached Stella Point, we were exhausted but the views were amazing. Here the glaciers and the caldera really come into view and it’s an easy stroll to the summit even though you’re sucking air at over 19,000 feet.

Summit night before sunrise was really the only bad thing about this trek. Everything else was amazing. Incredible week. I’ve got incredible pics.

Hiking up through the montane rainforest.

Machame Camp. We gained 3,400 feet today over 7 miles.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 04:29:45 AM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12192 on: September 29, 2019, 03:23:53 AM »

Looking down on the clouds over the rain forest.

Arriving at Shira Cave Camp, elevation 12,300.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 04:36:15 AM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12193 on: September 29, 2019, 03:29:32 AM »

Sunset from Shira Cave Camp.

Sunrise on Kibu Peak (the highest of the three peaks that make up Kili).

Hiking toward Lava Tower at over 15,000 to acclimatize before descending to Barranco Camp to sleep.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 04:41:43 AM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12194 on: September 29, 2019, 03:35:59 AM »

The alpine desert terrain near Lava Tower at base of Kibu.

The trail from Lava Tower down to Barranco Camp.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 04:46:50 AM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12195 on: September 29, 2019, 03:41:03 AM »

Panorama of Barranco Camp, elevation 12,795. Several routes converge here, so many many tents.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 04:48:20 AM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12196 on: September 29, 2019, 03:50:19 AM »

Sunrise on Kibu from Barranco Camp.

The Barranco Wall. This requires some Class 3 scrambling.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 04:49:18 AM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12197 on: September 29, 2019, 06:33:59 AM »

Scrambling up the wall.

Karanga Camp comes into view, across a valley.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12198 on: September 29, 2019, 07:01:07 AM »
Awesome!

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12199 on: September 29, 2019, 07:02:11 AM »

Another amazing meal. The mess tent has become our all purpose station, including drying clothes from a very wet day.

Ext morning, clouds clear, Kibu gettin big!

Mt. Meru (not part of Kili) peaking above the clouds, from Karanga Camp.