Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1334566 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #11575 on: January 24, 2019, 02:02:06 PM »
The pour your own booze at the AA flagship lounge is pretty great.

yeah i don't think people talk enough about pour your own booze in airlines lounges

I find it weird the normal AA lounge has a bar but the flagship lounge is self serve. Seems the ones frequenting flagship would want service.

One of the perks of those generic lounges priority pass gets you in.
Low lounge IQ considering I have an Admirals Club pass, but is there a good easy way to get flagship access w/o being in International First?

outside of what Phil said there isn't.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11576 on: January 26, 2019, 12:31:42 PM »
Just bought my tickets to Tanzania. Flying Kenya Airways direct from New York to Nairobi and then a quick hop to Kilimanjaro. Used my Chase points and I was impressed how easy that was and what a great deal I got.

I’m booking seperate to New York and gonna head up there the night before our international flight. Trying to decide if we should venture into Manhattan or just hang around JFK.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11577 on: January 26, 2019, 12:44:38 PM »
Puni please provide Tokyo tips for 2-3 days. My daughter loves hokusai so we were planning to go to his museum but other than that just want fun/weird Japanese experiences.

(Also going to Bangkok on same trip but are visiting people that live there)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11578 on: January 26, 2019, 01:12:22 PM »
Just bought my tickets to Tanzania. Flying Kenya Airways direct from New York to Nairobi and then a quick hop to Kilimanjaro. Used my Chase points and I was impressed how easy that was and what a great deal I got.

I’m booking seperate to New York and gonna head up there the night before our international flight. Trying to decide if we should venture into Manhattan or just hang around JFK.
I'd recommend finding a luggage storage at JFK and going to Manhattan unless you go to New York quite a bit

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11579 on: January 26, 2019, 01:36:59 PM »

Manhattan.

Can't wait to hear about the trip.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11580 on: January 26, 2019, 04:55:54 PM »
That's awesome dubs and yeah go to the city and walk around LES or really anywhere

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #11581 on: January 26, 2019, 05:12:10 PM »
Breckenridge is great.  I can see why someone might be inclined to name their first born after this place.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11582 on: January 26, 2019, 06:05:35 PM »
I haven’t been to NYC in years. I’d like to head into Manhattan but I don’t want to bite off too much with the big flight coming up the next day. I’ll be arriving LGA on a Friday around 2pm. My flight departs JFK on Saturday around 1pm. I’m thinking of getting a hotel near JFK just to make things super easy before our flight.

What would you do? Take an Uber to the hotel to drop bags and then backtrack to Manhattan? Grab a hotel near LGA instead? What’s best way into the city? I was thinking Central Park and maybe a fun dinner but really nothing too fancy or late.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11583 on: January 26, 2019, 06:10:38 PM »
best way into the city is an uber or cab imo. some here will say train. all good options. go to gramercy tavern for an early dinner Friday. Or Spotted Pig but you'll have a line to wait out. then uber or cab back to the hotel. with that layover I'd not fault you for chilling at the hotel airport. notable gE celebrity bud of steve dave rob cassidy's parents have (or at least had 5 years ago) a sandwich shop right near LGA. could visit that and high five the staff or something.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #11584 on: January 26, 2019, 07:10:58 PM »
Breckenridge is great.  I can see why someone might be inclined to name their first born after this place.
:thumbs:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11585 on: January 26, 2019, 07:14:17 PM »
Freaking got stuck in Indy tonight because O'Hare apparently couldn’t function this evening so I’m staying overnight on the airline at some rando hotel near the airport. Should this go to the shame thread? I ubered to the liquor store after I got settled in. Pak’ing in bed.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11586 on: January 26, 2019, 07:33:25 PM »
Stay in Manhattan, take a cab from LGA and Uber to JFK. It will not be hard to get an uber to JFK for a 1pm flight on a Saturday and it will simplify your luggage situation a lot.

Also isn't it morning yet @puni???

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11587 on: January 26, 2019, 07:36:51 PM »
Also I say take the cab from LGA just because Uber and Lyft freaking blow for EWR pickup. Might not be as bad at LGA tho

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11588 on: January 26, 2019, 07:52:59 PM »
I was kinda surprised to learn there’s no subway or train direct from LGA or JFK to Manhattan, but I guess it’s kinda hard to build that stuff.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11589 on: January 26, 2019, 08:06:02 PM »
Also I say take the cab from LGA just because Uber and Lyft freaking blow for EWR pickup. Might not be as bad at LGA tho

LGA has a fine Uber setup it's just a jaunt to the garage where they all gather. Not sure if cabs are a different or same pickup spot. I feel like it was the same.

Kdub I'd get a hotel by JFK, go from lga right there, drop bags, Uber to Manhattan. Don't futz with the train, it's a pain.

Where would I go in Manhattan? 9/11 monument is worth seeing. I go there almost every time I go to NYC and I'm not one who likes touristy or sad things . It's impressive to see.  Eat at dead rabbit which is close and pretty low key

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11590 on: January 26, 2019, 08:28:50 PM »
Yeah I’m kinda thinking just get to a hotel near JFK so I can just chill the next morning with zero stress before hopping on a 14hr flight to Africa. Maybe we try to go to Manhattan. Maybe just go somewhere near around Queens?

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11591 on: January 26, 2019, 08:35:47 PM »
Yeah I’m kinda thinking just get to a hotel near JFK so I can just chill the next morning with zero stress before hopping on a 14hr flight to Africa. Maybe we try to go to Manhattan. Maybe just go somewhere near around Queens?
There is a direct train from Manhattan to JFK.  Uber from LGA to Manhattan. Are you traveling with family/kids? If not I’d say definitely go into Manhattan or some cool part of Brooklyn if you can find a decent hotel. If you stay at a JFK airport hotel, you may as well be staying anywhere else, instead of the best city in the world.
:adios:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11592 on: January 26, 2019, 09:09:52 PM »
There is a train from jfk

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11593 on: January 27, 2019, 12:20:51 AM »

the stress from Manhattan to JFK will be the same as the stress from your Courtyard by Marriott to JFK and you eliminate a side trip to drop off your bags by staying in Manhattan

There is a train from jfk

definitely not direct tho, and our guy is stressed about making a 1pm flight at JFK on a Saturday. I can't imagine him changing trains with luggage.

I will say I was surprised when I learned all the VP's I work with that fly into JFK prefer the train to taxis. but they don't generally travel on weekends and are always going to/from midtown

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11594 on: January 27, 2019, 08:24:13 AM »
Train probably isn't connected to kdub hotel anyways.

Smart travelers that aren't all uppity will pick the train, more consistent timing vis via car.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11595 on: January 27, 2019, 12:28:27 PM »
Jordan Willis and I were on the same shorty flight to KC today! :love:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11596 on: January 27, 2019, 06:13:01 PM »
Puni please provide Tokyo tips for 2-3 days. My daughter loves hokusai so we were planning to go to his museum but other than that just want fun/weird Japanese experiences.

also want to know where to stay puni. I like airbnb's w/ family and they looked affordable in Tokyo when I glanced. Looking like we'll probably fly into Haneda.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #11597 on: January 27, 2019, 06:41:02 PM »

whole familly? just you and your daughter? age range?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11598 on: January 27, 2019, 07:43:23 PM »

whole familly? just you and your daughter? age range?
Whole family - girls are 11 and 12 but pretty cool with trying new foods and other things

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11599 on: January 29, 2019, 08:45:32 PM »
Just do this SD

https://www.kitlender.com/apparel/?product_cat=full-kit-3

I may actually do this. This is incred convenient. also doing this:

https://www.blacktieskis.com/#how-it-works

dlew, did you do a lesson? group or private? I can get a half day private for mrs. dave and I for like $800, a full day for like $1,100, or a full day group with both of us for like $450. any of that worth a crap? chicat?