Author Topic: Favorite Professor at Kansas State University  (Read 21168 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Professor at Kansas State University
« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2011, 03:40:06 PM »
You guys and your suit crap and just spouting bullshit that people have told you.  When interviewing for software engineering positions many places including Google and Microsoft discourage wearing of suits.
lol :lol:

And here I always thought nerds liked wearing suits. I guess it's just khaki pants, white button down shirts, pocket protectors and suspenders. The jacket must just be too uncomfortable.

Offline J.EMAW33

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2011, 07:03:15 PM »
You guys and your suit crap and just spouting bullshit that people have told you.  When interviewing for software engineering positions many places including Google and Microsoft discourage wearing of suits.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #102 on: May 15, 2011, 07:03:52 PM »
Seems like a lot of eng and arch dipshits on this board.  Always wondered what college would be like if my grade depended on how well I could trace over someone elses drawings and then have to try and take a test on that material.  Seems like a lot of self-inflicted pressure, the worry of getting caught cheating and expelled, and having to take a test on material you never bothered to learn.

goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #103 on: May 15, 2011, 07:08:11 PM »

That's because software engineers are mutant slobs.  No one wants to interview a guy wearing a suit he found in his dead grandpa's closet, that's been in a vacuum bag for 14 years.  It smells much worse than just a regular software engineer.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 15, 2011, 07:16:52 PM »
Tom Roberts taught the worst class I've ever taken, but he's not really a professor, so I don't know if that counts.

That professional development crap? (for engineers)

PPD (DEN325). Worst class on earth.

Yea that class was pointless for someone born with common sense.  Great for the nerds who thought khaki pants, white socks, and brown shoes were acceptable to wear in a job interview.

I have never worn a suit to an interview and gotten a number of offers.  Its an interview not a fashion show.  That is what I tell any candidate I interview at my current job, nobody cares if you own a suit.

They may not care, but for many larger companies this is not true.  Interview for a position at a large company wearing khaki's and a polo, and lets see if they pick you over the guy with the exact same credentials who wore a suit and tie. 

Also, congrats that your company looks past all that.  It's not the common.  If this were a perfect world, people could walk into an interview showing all their tats and piercings without the interviewer using it as judging criteria. 

You will never get a job that you aren't qualified for by looking great, but could easily lose the opportunity for one you are qualified for by being under dressed.  Every man should own a suit irregardless of the need for one in an interview. 

People who use the made up word "irregardless" should be unemployed.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 15, 2011, 07:20:37 PM »
Never had Knox for studio. Heard some horror stories though. Liked him well enough in computing.

My favorites-

Hoag- Most thought he was crazy. Thought his seminar was great. Studio was pretty good.
Howe- Awesome professor.
Torgier- Badass. Pure badass.

never had hoag for studio, would've loved though.
Howe wasn't there before I graduated.
I almost wrote the exact same thing about Torgeir Norheim.   Honestly though, he didn't teach me as much about design as he did about how to look goddamn amazing while designing.

I learned quite a bit from Torgeir. It was strange though. It's almost like he beat the design sense into me instead of just politely telling me.

I will say this. Everyone loves Bob and Wendy. Me? Not. A. Fan.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 15, 2011, 10:13:19 PM »
You guys and your suit crap and just spouting bullcrap that people have told you.  When interviewing for software engineering positions many places including Google and Microsoft discourage wearing of suits.

Bullshit.  Graduated with someone who works for Google and he wears suits all the time....including his interview.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 15, 2011, 11:22:28 PM »
I really like Dr. Ann Stahlheim-Smith.  Doubt she's still teaching (or even living) though, she was pretty damn old ballsy.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 16, 2011, 07:42:26 AM »
You guys and your suit crap and just spouting bullcrap that people have told you.  When interviewing for software engineering positions many places including Google and Microsoft discourage wearing of suits.

Bullshit.  Graduated with someone who works for Google and he wears suits all the time....including his interview.
He must have been way overqualified if he wore a suit to an interview and STILL got the job.  Google must be hiring basically anyone nowadays.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 16, 2011, 08:10:01 AM »
You guys and your suit crap and just spouting bullcrap that people have told you.  When interviewing for software engineering positions many places including Google and Microsoft discourage wearing of suits.

Bullshit.  Graduated with someone who works for Google and he wears suits all the time....including his interview.

I too know someone who works for Google in Boulder, never worn a suit.  You guys are sure butt-hurt about having to wear suits when I don't have to and still get the job  :users:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 08:11:39 AM by hemmy »

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 16, 2011, 08:19:39 AM »
You guys and your suit crap and just spouting bullcrap that people have told you.  When interviewing for software engineering positions many places including Google and Microsoft discourage wearing of suits.

Bullshit.  Graduated with someone who works for Google and he wears suits all the time....including his interview.

I too know someone who works for Google in Boulder, never worn a suit.  You guys are sure butt-hurt about having to wear suits when I don't have to and still get the job  :users:

What is it about wearing a suit that you don't like hemmy? I love wearing a suit.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 16, 2011, 08:27:22 AM »

:dubious:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 16, 2011, 08:39:08 AM »
hemmy, you know who else doesn't wear suits during interviews?  guys that work at mcdonalds.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 16, 2011, 08:42:25 AM »
I think clams mumped things up for all of us bad when he threw out the last guy we tried to interview for the goEMAW tech position before the interview even started just because the applicant was wearing khakis and a short-sleeve dress shirt (no tie).

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 16, 2011, 09:04:07 AM »
i work with hemmy at jiffy lube and i feel pretty stupid now because i went out and bought a suit for my interview.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 16, 2011, 09:13:16 AM »
don't feel stupid for wearing the suit.  you should feel embarassed for your fellow co-workers who somehow were able to get the job w/o wearing suits.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 16, 2011, 09:56:13 AM »
I think clams mumped things up for all of us bad when he threw out the last guy we tried to interview for the goEMAW tech position before the interview even started just because the applicant was wearing khakis and a short-sleeve dress shirt (no tie).

Also, not having the no-suit-tech-guy on board is why the board was all mumped up 20 minutes ago.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 16, 2011, 12:59:28 PM »
i don't know any of these people listed in this thread besides chingon

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 16, 2011, 10:57:53 PM »
Robert Linder

"I'd like to have lunch with each and every one of you over the course of the semester."

:gocho: love the old croc.

also, Dr. Michael Donnelly and Dr. Kimball Smith.
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."