Author Topic: have these new mhk eateries been discussed yet?  (Read 503324 times)

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
Re: have these new mhk eateries been discussed yet?
« Reply #4325 on: June 22, 2020, 11:49:41 AM »
and now varsity too.... had both of those last week surprisingly enough

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4326 on: June 29, 2020, 02:54:43 PM »
KSO grumblings that Harry's is closing

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4327 on: June 29, 2020, 03:18:32 PM »
Damn, that sucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4328 on: June 29, 2020, 03:53:55 PM »
KSO grumblings that Harry's is closing

Temporarily, I'm assuming.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4330 on: June 29, 2020, 06:13:15 PM »
Holy crap :cry:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4331 on: June 29, 2020, 09:23:01 PM »
I’m very very sad about the Harry’s thing. Best actual restaurant in mhk by far. Like if someone from out of town is in for the weekend or whatever and you need to make sure they have a great meal and service and everything then you say go to Harry’s.

Also, Hillside cafe is fine. Just fine. Leave them alone. Also, their potato tacos are the tits and also a regular *”rick daris top twenty mhk menu item”*.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4332 on: June 29, 2020, 09:34:27 PM »
Isn’t this just them focusing on their two other joints and ditching over priced rent at the Harry’s locashe?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #4333 on: June 29, 2020, 11:29:55 PM »
I’m very very sad about the Harry’s thing. Best actual restaurant in mhk by far. Like if someone from out of town is in for the weekend or whatever and you need to make sure they have a great meal and service and everything then you say go to Harry’s.

Also, Hillside cafe is fine. Just fine. Leave them alone. Also, their potato tacos are the tits and also a regular *”rick daris top twenty mhk menu item”*.
OMG I've thought about creating this thread but you can do the honors! Also, I disagree with your assessment on Harry's. I would not give them "by far" status (I think Wine Dive offers a comparable product at a fraction of the cost). Moreso I disagree about it being the number one suggestion...I would recommend Bourbon & Baker to a visiting out-of-towner. Most everyone has been to a fine-dining restaurant similar to Harry's. Bourbon & Baker is truly unique and nails just about everything they try to do. That's not to say that I am not saddened by Harry's closing. Maybe we should also have a thread for bygone MHK restaurants that we miss. Mine would include Hibachi Hut, Harry's Deli and Aggie Station for starters.

Offline waks

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4334 on: June 29, 2020, 11:32:19 PM »
Isn’t this just them focusing on their two other joints and ditching over priced rent at the Harry’s locashe?
Yes but I do think Wine Dive has taken away a chunk of their business. I think Harry's priced themselves out of their market. Kind of ironic that the owners came to Manhattan to run Harry's and remain here but running two other restaurants.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4335 on: June 30, 2020, 01:13:58 AM »
What are their other two restaurants?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4336 on: June 30, 2020, 01:16:32 AM »
Also with Harry's and LABCO closing this summer, I believe RAB is the only sit down restaurant still open from when I arrived in Manhattan in 1996.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #4337 on: June 30, 2020, 02:49:16 AM »
What are their other two restaurants?
Bourbon Baker and I think Taphouse?

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4338 on: June 30, 2020, 06:07:32 AM »
Yea and I think they already have another concept ready to launch for #3.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4339 on: June 30, 2020, 09:13:07 AM »
I can't imagine the Harry's location not being turned into another fine dining spot. Possibly even with the same owners and managers. It might just be a great time for them to rebrand once they realized raising prices wasn't the best way to help revitalize their business.

This is pure speculation.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4340 on: June 30, 2020, 12:37:28 PM »
I was really surprised that Harry’s prices were equal to or higher than comparable big city places when I was last back in MHK.
:adios:

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4341 on: June 30, 2020, 01:54:12 PM »
I lived above Harry's for a year. I remember:

1) An HVAC system that apparently moved cigarette smoke directly from a neighbor into my bathroom
2) Harry's scooting heavy ass chairs across the tile floor that reverberated through my walls at about 11pm every night
3) A garbage truck that emptied the dumpster every morning at exactly 7am and made sure to hit it extra hard multiple times with it upside down

overall it was pretty great though. If I lived there now I would have also lived at the Harry's bar

Offline waks

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4342 on: June 30, 2020, 04:06:59 PM »
I lived above Harry's for a year. I remember:

1) An HVAC system that apparently moved cigarette smoke directly from a neighbor into my bathroom
2) Harry's scooting heavy ass chairs across the tile floor that reverberated through my walls at about 11pm every night
3) A garbage truck that emptied the dumpster every morning at exactly 7am and made sure to hit it extra hard multiple times with it upside down

overall it was pretty great though. If I lived there now I would have also lived at the Harry's bar
Their bar program was the weakest part of the restaurant IMO.

Also with Harry's and LABCO closing this summer, I believe RAB is the only sit down restaurant still open from when I arrived in Manhattan in 1996.
I think LABCO is supposed to reopen at some point.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4343 on: June 30, 2020, 09:06:10 PM »

OMG I've thought about creating this thread but you can do the honors! Also, I disagree with your assessment on Harry's. I would not give them "by far" status (I think Wine Dive offers a comparable product at a fraction of the cost). Moreso I disagree about it being the number one suggestion...I would recommend Bourbon & Baker to a visiting out-of-towner. Most everyone has been to a fine-dining restaurant similar to Harry's. Bourbon & Baker is truly unique and nails just about everything they try to do. That's not to say that I am not saddened by Harry's closing. Maybe we should also have a thread for bygone MHK restaurants that we miss. Mine would include Hibachi Hut, Harry's Deli and Aggie Station for starters.

I disagree. Also you should try the potato taco at hillside. V good. Also, I miss the hibachi hut that existed in 1999. Not so much the later versions.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4344 on: June 30, 2020, 09:17:45 PM »
Bourbon & Baker is such a cringe name but yeah it's great

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #4345 on: June 30, 2020, 09:19:49 PM »
not so long until you and all of us are nostalgic for the days of when things were named thing & thing.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4346 on: June 30, 2020, 09:22:43 PM »

Lemmy's, lol.

Was by far the best pizza in MHK in a pre-AJs world.  I also still enjoyed 2007-10ish Hibachi.  The real one I miss though, is La Hacienda.
:adios:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4347 on: June 30, 2020, 09:24:13 PM »
Last weekend I had takeout from a place called Oven & Tap and believe me i didn't feel good about it

Offline waks

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4348 on: July 01, 2020, 01:27:04 AM »

Lemmy's, lol.

Was by far the best pizza in MHK in a pre-AJs world.  I also still enjoyed 2007-10ish Hibachi.  The real one I miss though, is La Hacienda.
There are two places (one on McCall and one on the corner of Kimball and Tuttle Creek Blvd) that are fine substitutes.

Offline waks

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4349 on: July 01, 2020, 01:27:29 AM »

I disagree. Also you should try the potato taco at hillside. V good. Also, I miss the hibachi hut that existed in 1999. Not so much the later versions.
The Beckers ran it into the ground.