Author Topic: have these new mhk eateries been discussed yet?  (Read 509473 times)

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
Re: have these new mhk eateries been discussed yet?
« Reply #1425 on: May 12, 2014, 12:33:42 PM »
I only went to the old Della Voce one time but it was delicious. Not really up on my DV game. Did they really need to change everything up? Or were they just losing out of a lot of business from all the hot new downtown competition?
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline ydarg2012

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • Snyder 4 President
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: May 12, 2014, 01:49:22 PM »
was kinda underwhelmed by the sigcocks at b&b last night.  didn't try any food tho

their bourbon list is so good. why weren't you just ordering everything neat?

Not sure if luked, but 4 Olives has all the same bourbons and more. . .best cocktails in town IMO

DSF wrote a scathing twitter review of 4O yesterday  :frown:

appears to have really ruined his day too  :frown:

A+ Source told me that they completely overbooked their Mothers Day Brunch and food took 2 hours  :sdeek:  All that aside, I stand by assessment that they have the best cocktails in MHK hands down.

new della voce is/will be right there with them

I hope so.  Went into DV a few days ago and asked for at least three of my favorite cocktails at 4O. . .DV didn't have the right liquor for any of them. 

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: May 12, 2014, 01:49:59 PM »
what three, BOB?

Offline ydarg2012

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • Snyder 4 President
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: May 12, 2014, 01:50:46 PM »
I only went to the old Della Voce one time but it was delicious. Not really up on my DV game. Did they really need to change everything up? Or were they just losing out of a lot of business from all the hot new downtown competition?

Food was subpar before.  Can confirm the new menu is awesome.  I had the Shrimp Risotto Diavolo and it was superb.

Offline ydarg2012

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • Snyder 4 President
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: May 12, 2014, 01:52:44 PM »
what three, BOB?

Blood and Sand
Peruvian Mule
can't remember the third. . .

In all fairness the owner made me his version of a Blood and Sand and it was delicious.  I don't want to be negative about DV. ..I am excited about the possibilities.  DV has 4O beat on food at the moment, but 4O has a large lead on cocktails.   

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: May 12, 2014, 02:38:00 PM »
was kinda underwhelmed by the sigcocks at b&b last night.  didn't try any food tho

Not sure if luked, but 4 Olives has all the same bourbons and more. . .best cocktails in town IMO

A+ Source told me that they completely overbooked their Mothers Day Brunch and food took 2 hours  :sdeek:  All that aside, I stand by assessment that they have the best cocktails in MHK hands down.

I hope so.  Went into DV a few days ago and asked for at least three of my favorite cocktails at 4O. . .DV didn't have the right liquor for any of them.

absolutely irrelevant. you could do the same exact thing in reverse by going into four olives and asking for three of your favorite dv cocktails. you're basically saying harrys has bad food because they don't carry the aggie station pork chop.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: May 12, 2014, 02:40:07 PM »

Food was subpar before.  Can confirm the new menu is awesome.  I had the Shrimp Risotto Diavolo and it was superb.

the owners are a family. sister is the new executive chef and brother will run front of the house/bar. expect a new name and an entire new concept within six months or so. they wanted to open a new restaurant in mhk and the guy who used to own dv found out they were looking. it made the most sense for them to just buy dv and turn it into what they wanted instead of building out a whole new place.

Offline ydarg2012

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • Snyder 4 President
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: May 12, 2014, 03:22:52 PM »

absolutely irrelevant. you could do the same exact thing in reverse by going into four olives and asking for three of your favorite dv cocktails. you're basically saying harrys has bad food because they don't carry the aggie station pork chop.

Except that they are cocktails that you should be able to order anywhere. It came down to them not having the right liquors.  Not saying this is a bad thing.  Not every bar needs to be able to make every cocktail.  But, that's how IMO 4O stays ahead of the competition.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: May 12, 2014, 03:25:23 PM »

Except that they are cocktails that you should be able to order anywhere. It came down to them not having the right liquors.  Not saying this is a bad thing.  Not every bar needs to be able to make every cocktail.  But, that's how IMO 4O stays ahead of the competition.

I want to know what these litmus test cocktails are

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: May 12, 2014, 03:30:48 PM »
in a college hayseed town?  rum &  coke, whiskey & coke, whiskey & water, vodka & tonic, gin & tonic, shots.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: May 12, 2014, 03:31:23 PM »

what three, BOB?

Blood and Sand
Peruvian Mule

In all fairness the owner made me his version of a Blood and Sand and it was delicious.  I don't want to be negative about DV. ..I am excited about the possibilities.  DV has 4O beat on food at the moment, but 4O has a large lead on cocktails.

Neither of these are "Standards" by any measure, and you couldn't remember the third so I don't even know what is going on here.
:adios:

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: May 12, 2014, 03:33:46 PM »
I ordered a whiskey and coke at DV and they didn't have it.  I couldn't believe it.  Had to drink my backup cocktail, whiskey and pepsi.  4O rulez

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: May 12, 2014, 03:35:25 PM »

what three, BOB?

Blood and Sand
Peruvian Mule

Neither of these are "Standards" by any measure, and you couldn't remember the third so I don't even know what is going on here.

Pisco and Blood Orange Juice are not on my list of ingredients a good cocktail place has to have

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: May 12, 2014, 03:40:53 PM »
these are the standards :

whiskey sour
negroni
maybe old fashioned or something

Offline ydarg2012

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • Snyder 4 President
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: May 12, 2014, 03:41:13 PM »
I was a normal college drinker.  I drank one bottom shelf liquor mixed with one mixer for a low price in Aggieville for years.  Then one day I stumbled upon a quaint little place in between a dumpster and a uniform shop. 

Inside, the well dressed gentleman showed me a cocktail list. "If you drink all of these cocktails, your name will go on a plaque!" He exclaimed. I began to try them each one by one.  I was intimidated at first because my feeble understanding of cocktails had been determined by the masses down Moro. Yet, as I drank on I felt like Don Draper (although I never really could pull off a fedora).  As I became accustomed to my drinks there I realized through my own research and by talking with the regulars that these drinks were actually prevalent in bigger cities around the country. "No way!" I exclaimed.

I then turned my attentions to my old haunts in Aggieville only to find they knew nothing about making these drinks.  Only one small haven remained in what used to be the Purple Pig.  There they had a small grasp of what a cocktail should look and taste like.  It was from that day on that I was determined to find any other place in my small town that could equal the delicious beverages I had been consuming. Alas none could.  Many places had potential.  Yet, none were up this new haughty standard I had reached. 

As a noted baller on a budget I realized these cocktails could never be the norm in my life.  Thus I continued to imbibe the best that could be found.  But from then on the litmus test for a good drink rested solely in my experience at that quaint place between the dumpster and the uniform store.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1440 on: May 12, 2014, 03:45:28 PM »
yarddog facinates me

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: May 12, 2014, 03:48:08 PM »
Is Mrs. Clydes still around  :dunno:
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: May 12, 2014, 03:52:25 PM »
yarddog facinates me

not me. he's basically kroger asava with ten less IQ points.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: May 12, 2014, 03:57:20 PM »
yarddog facinates me

youre going to be stretched pretty thin if you start this with ydarg.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline ydarg2012

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • Snyder 4 President
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: May 12, 2014, 04:01:58 PM »
yarddog facinates me

I am guessing you are going with "generic" here? Non applicable as in many states Kroger is THE grocery store.

Offline ydarg2012

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • Snyder 4 President
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: May 12, 2014, 04:04:48 PM »
yarddog facinates me

Just randomly googled Kroger.  Their site on the front page says "Kroger added more than 7,000 new jobs last year, part of 40,000 new jobs during the last six years."

I'm honored to be "creating jobs" in this bbs "economy"

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: May 12, 2014, 04:05:26 PM »
This page has been a fantastic read.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: May 12, 2014, 04:09:37 PM »
Can you guys imagine the battle of wits that would ensue if Officer Rowdyboyy pulled over yarddog after a night of pounding Bloody Sands at 4O's.  They'd probably end up besties is my guess.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: May 12, 2014, 04:13:10 PM »
in a college hayseed town?  rum &  coke, whiskey & coke, whiskey & water, vodka & tonic, gin & tonic, shots.

an interesting note for clams... dv does not buy ginger beer anymore. the owner makes his own ginger juice that they use in drinks that require it. almost knocked my face off when i sampled it.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: May 12, 2014, 04:18:39 PM »
yarddog facinates me

Just randomly googled Kroger.  Their site on the front page says "Kroger added more than 7,000 new jobs last year, part of 40,000 new jobs during the last six years."

I'm honored to be "creating jobs" in this bbs "economy"

so you just  "randomly googled kroger", huh? make that 20 IQ points. also, someone pm asava an apology from me.