Author Topic: have these new mhk eateries been discussed yet?  (Read 506416 times)

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: have these new mhk eateries been discussed yet?
« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2011, 04:01:01 PM »
I'm sorry to interrupt this discussion, but this thread isn't titled "Have these OK eateries been discussed yet?"   :kstategrad:No.  No it's not.  Now let's get this thread back on track, shall we?

Mr. K's Deli out by Grand Mere may be MHK's best kept secret.  Thoughts?

Have not been, menu they have online  looks extremely solid.  
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2011, 04:28:39 PM »
I miss Doe's. :(

Me too. That was my graduation dinner.

Offline Deez Nutz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 07, 2011, 04:36:10 PM »
However, I am excited for a place in manhattan that sells sushi and isn't named dillons or hyvee.

yes!  because when i think sushi, i think manhattan, kansas.

My girlfriend is from the Pacific Northwest, is the daughter of a salmon fisherman (and therefore constantly eats fresh fish), and is a complete sushi snob.  Even she thinks Green Tea is  :thumbs:, and she's not a Kansas rube.

Is this the same girl you would constantly fart on her leg at night and give her dutch ovens?  Surprised she is still with you.  Must have gotten used to it.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 07, 2011, 04:38:41 PM »
However, I am excited for a place in manhattan that sells sushi and isn't named dillons or hyvee.

yes!  because when i think sushi, i think manhattan, kansas.

My girlfriend is from the Pacific Northwest, is the daughter of a salmon fisherman (and therefore constantly eats fresh fish), and is a complete sushi snob.  Even she thinks Green Tea is  :thumbs:, and she's not a Kansas rube.

Is this the same girl you would constantly fart on her leg at night and give her dutch ovens?  Surprised she is still with you.  Must have gotten used to it.

NOT CONSTANTLY.  Just twice.  And yes she is still with me, because she's a good hwomaaaayowinnnahh.  Also never gave her Dutch ovens on purpose.  Will try soon and report back, though.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 07, 2011, 04:48:42 PM »
why the hate for la fiesta/el caz 2.0?
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 07, 2011, 04:51:06 PM »
It's awful.  Worst Mexican food in MHK.  Food (and service) is better at Claflin's Taco Bell.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Scary Smart

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 07, 2011, 04:57:42 PM »
Mr. K's Deli out by Grand Mere may be MHK's best kept secret.  Thoughts?

Confirmed.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 07, 2011, 05:10:57 PM »
I'm sorry to interrupt this discussion, but is this thread titled "Have these OK eateries been discussed yet?"   No.  No it's not.  Now let's get this thread back on track, shall we?

hmm...is it high brow? or just a normal place?
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Deez Nutz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 07, 2011, 06:19:53 PM »
It's awful.  Worst Mexican food in MHK.  Food (and service) is better at Claflin's Taco Bell.

I have never had a problem with the service there, and the chips and salsa have always been good which is my main criterion for judging a Mexican place.  But I admit it has been a while since I've eaten there, probably a year or so.  Los Portrillos was good a long time ago but then their chips got to be very greasy and nasty the last few times I went there, so I quit going. 

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 07, 2011, 07:37:55 PM »

Confirmed.
I have heard this from multiple manhattanite and non-manhattanite sources I suppose I will have to check it out.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
Re: Re: Re: have these new mhk eateries been discussed yet?
« Reply #110 on: July 07, 2011, 08:42:55 PM »
El Tapatillo probably takes the "Best Mexican Food in MHK" crown, but then again, that's not saying a whole hell of a lot.
Had it once,  will never go there again.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: have these new mhk eateries been discussed yet?
« Reply #111 on: July 07, 2011, 08:51:17 PM »
El Tapatillo probably takes the "Best Mexican Food in MHK" crown, but then again, that's not saying a whole hell of a lot.

oh crap why?

I was actually excited to try it.

true story...I love Mexican more than any other food. love it. went to Austin last month and ate it for like 6 out of 8 meals. have not eaten mexican in Manhattan in in over three years. I know all the places are just trash. was hoping this place wasn't. what is best?

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 07, 2011, 09:03:08 PM »

It was pretty good. I enjoyed their beef chimichanga. Better than any other one i've had in MHK.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 08, 2011, 07:46:16 AM »

I have never had a problem with the service there, and the chips and salsa have always been good which is my main criterion for judging a Mexican place.  But I admit it has been a while since I've eaten there, probably a year or so.  Los Portrillos was good a long time ago but then their chips got to be very greasy and nasty the last few times I went there, so I quit going. 
I haven't been to the place on Stagg Hill but I always found La Fiesta/El Caz 2.0 to be very good.  The service has always been good for me.  Maybe Dlew doesn't like it when waiter's first language is spanish?  I like La Fiesta over Los Patrillos because of the salsa, cheese dip and the beef seemed to be seasoned a bit better.  Beef at Los Patrillos always seemed at bit off.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 08, 2011, 07:53:07 AM »
Only thing i ate at Los Patrillos was the Burrito Supreme Steak. Best dish in MHK hands down.

edit: Best mexican dish
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 11:55:23 AM by WillieWatanabe »
- chunkles

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #115 on: July 08, 2011, 10:34:26 AM »

oh crap why?

true story...I love Mexican more than any other food. love it. went to Austin last month and ate it for like 6 out of 8 meals. have not eaten mexican in Manhattan in in over three years. I know all the places are just trash. was hoping this place wasn't. what is best?
Didn't like the food, pretty sure they use bean flakes and instant rice for one, and salsa was basically tomato water with oregano in it.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 08, 2011, 11:08:39 AM »
Only thing i ate at Los Patrillos was the Burrito Supreme Steak. Best dish in MHK hands down.

no.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 08, 2011, 11:31:31 AM »

oh crap why?

Didn't like the food, pretty sure they use bean flakes and instant rice for one, and salsa was basically tomato water with oregano in it.

what is best in mhk? hillside?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 08, 2011, 11:33:45 AM »

oh crap why?

I don't think there is a best.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 08, 2011, 11:46:22 AM »
I'm sorry to interrupt this discussion, but is this thread titled "Have these OK eateries been discussed yet?"   No.  No it's not.  Now let's get this thread back on track, shall we?

It's about as high brow as a deli with 7-12 dollar plates can be.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 08, 2011, 11:51:01 AM »

they really should've come up with a better name and design then. its called branding and the people that opened that place don't have a clue. sad.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 08, 2011, 11:54:50 AM »

no.

I'm open to suggestions, Tortilla.
- chunkles

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 08, 2011, 01:01:33 PM »

they really should've come up with a better name and design then. its called branding and the people that opened that place don't have a clue. sad.
It's a Kites place, spinoff or something.  Apparently it was a bar forever ago and they brought it back in deli-form.

The inside is incredible.  It has a picture of Michael Beasley on the cover of Vibe magazine.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 08, 2011, 04:23:22 PM »

oh crap why?

Tuna with wasabi mashed potatoes at 4 Olives.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 08, 2011, 07:32:25 PM »
Went to Cozy Inn last night.  SAW MY OLD DENTIST!  Asked him a dentist-related question while we waited for way too long for some tiny burgers. 

Then went to cap it off with a donut at Donut Valhalla.  Was not open yet, not even close.  Dammit.  Went to try Doughboy's Pizza instead.  Was terrible, even worse than Gumby's.  Individual slices are gigantic, though.

Will be eating with Michael Beasley on the cover of Vibe magazine within the next few days.  Will report back.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12